• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

VC battalion

So after my recent thread here I've decided I'm going to start playing vampires. I'm going to buy the army book, and I was wondering if the battalion is a good starting place? I'll get it online so like 15-20% off, is it a good buy, and are all the models useful? Thanks for the help so far :)

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Yeah I think the battalion box is a good starting place, money wise its cheaper than buying the models individually and it gives you a good base of core units with both Skellies and Ghouls, because no matter which you prefer out of the two a mix in the army is a good thing to have as it gives you different gaming options and styles

Thanks for the reply :) other people have suggested using mantic models, but I really like the GW skellies and ghouls, and don't like the mantic ones... I will probably use mantic zombies though. So it does seem ideal as a starting point and I'll get it online cheaper too. I think I'm gonna get the army book, battalion, and the plastic necromancer and wight king, how is that as a starting point?

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Well its your army and so ultimately your choice what you get but I'd leave getting the terroghiest till a later date when you have a bit more of an army built up. Maybes look into Black Knights/Hexwraiths and a character that isnt on a giant monster. I have to admit I do like the GW models for skellies & ghouls as well, its what you prefer they might cost more than mantic but if you're happy with that then I say go for it

the new battleforce (not sure of the name) has skeletons, black knights/hexwraiths, a wight king, and grave guard i believe. I found it a good deal, but i dont see it on the gw website, though it is in my local gw store.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Personally its best looking at the book deciding what kind of army you want before you do anything.

Most people tend to go with skeleton core and a terrorghiest somewhere in there force these days, the latter option also gives you a couple nice vampire models to play with as well but this all depends on what you want, you a competitive gamer, you in it for the painting, do you want a fluffy army?
Once you have decided this make your list for the army you want to make and start buying around that, trust me, your wallet will thank you.