• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

VC vs TK: why did you go for the Vampires?

Master Vampire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
The age old discussion must be started again. :mrgreen:

Why did you not collect the other Undead?

So why did you not go for huge undead monsters, shooting and regiments of chariots and instead for zombies, vampires and black knights?

Why didn't you choose for the ones seeing Nagash' creation as damnation, and instead for the ones who see Nagash' creation as a blessing?

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
The Vampire Counts have a few advantages over the Tomb Kings. The main one of these is the fluff aspects of the Vampire Counts. They are simply more fun to play as its quite easy to imagine some of the characters that appear - the Von Carsteins or the Blood Dragons are some of the most believable vampires in existence.

VC has a lot of cool stuff over TK. Fluff is one, it is a lot cooler to have a vampire general instead of a skeleton one. Your character can speak for one, cooler clothes and weapons, and (of course) hatred for every living (and TK) thing. Vampires have better characters and rely more on magic than TK. TK wins in units (Ushabti and a catapult that throws flaming skulls) ........

And of course, Zombies, lots and lots of Zombies.

Just didn't really like the TK fluff, and i'm not really a fan of some of the models (the skeleton horses come to mind...:rolleyes:)

The fluff for Vampire Counts is great. I also like the models for VC better, as they have such diversity and offer countless conversion possibilities. Tomb Kings are just piles of bones.

Avaris

Black Knight
To be honest, I wanted some undead and the TK hadn't been released at the time I started VC. Sort of prefer our guys now though: as said, better background etc, plus its easier to justify them being in the Old World. It was however the original TK list WAY back that first attracted me to undead; WD 227, November 98 or 99 I think...

Well i started getting into the game around the 3rd edition so there was only "the undead list". In the next few editions there was only the vamps so thats where i started. When the tk came out i gave them a go thinking they would be similar to the vc but leart they are not as forgiving and i didnt like the fell of them for my style of play

Also its a case of which flim do you like - The Mummy of Shawn of the dead?

Skaramak von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
I started in the days before army books, where you had creatures and put armies together from there (1st & 2nd edition). Then came the generic undead, and the Vamps had it from there for many years until the TK were 'discovered by GW.

For me it was a really easy decision...

I have always been interested in, and liked, Vampires. Be it tv shows, movies, books, computer games, dolls (or 12 inch collectable figures as I like to refer to them as, just sounds less lame than dolls :tongue:) or whatever, I have always loved Vampires.. I own on dvd the original Universal pictures movie The Mummy starring Boris Karloff, but I always end up watching Dracula starring Bela Legosi more often, which I also have.

When a mate convinced me to start playing warhammer, it was always going to be VC. I have thought about starting up TK as a second army, but I still haven't got anywhere near completed with my first army!

I again like the ancient Skaramak started collecting in the early old days of WFB and when I started again in sixth I got both armies, love them equally. However saying that none of my TK army is painted yet as I currently play VC more and therefore want to paint them first.

FVC

Zombie
Personality, I think. It's just so hard to be an arrogant bastard when you're a tomb king. Vampires have that sense of style.

The Dead of Night

Vampire Count
True Blood
So many reasons!!

I love the vampires for one. I love the concept of infiltrating mortal society, and influincing their decisions. I love their history, I love the variety that the Bloodlines offer, I mean only 1 or 2 characters in the army are affected by the bloodline, but it changes the entire feel of the army. And in general I'm a big fan of vampires in any story.

I love the magic, it has it all; damage, movement, and of course what is maybe the best spell in the game IoN, the spell that has so many strategical uses (especially when combined with the aforementioned movement spell).

I love the conversion opportunities available.

I love the models, I think the VC have a much darker look and theme than the TK who are all sand and bone.

I'm not a big fan of chariots, BK are much better imo.

My dwarfs satisfy my urge to shoot.

Doc

Zombie
Hello fellow undeads, this is my first post!

I am about to start VC, and I wanted to join some group to discuss and learn a bit more, and maybe get some new ideas. I am happy to finally join the "Theatre des Vampires" ;) .

The vampires are just very characterful, powerful yet pathetic figures, perfect for an amazingly personalized army.

What I want to do is a Vampire Clan army, based on a semi-egyptian look, to create a blood-driking aristocracy force....

and yes, I haven't found the models yet.

Doc

I started the other way, with Tomb Kings first. I thought the new range of models were great and the tragic back-story of how they come to be appealed to me more than the self-seeking Vampires.

However, once you start playing with the undead then you get tempted to the "dark side" :D, and the TK suffer a bit from being very predictable in how they play - the more random element of the VC army can be more fun - and I am hoping that some of the more crappy models (Black Knights) will be much improved when the new book and figures are released.

Master Vampire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Doc said:
Hello fellow undeads, this is my first post!
Hi and welcome!

I am about to start VC, and I wanted to join some group to discuss and learn a bit more, and maybe get some new ideas. I am happy to finally join the "Theatre des Vampires" ;) .
Well you came at the right place!

The vampires are just very characterful, powerful yet pathetic figures, perfect for an amazingly personalized army.
True. Though I sometimes feel the lack of most of these aspects, probably because Vampires are pretty versatile (strong and pathetic), which doesn't seem to go well on a miniature, except if you adapt a good paint palette which gives a sad feeling. Though, it isn't really in my skills yet to do that so I'm going to wait on the new Vampire models. :grin:

What I want to do is a Vampire Clan army, based on a semi-egyptian look, to create a blood-driking aristocracy force....
Seems fun!

and yes, I haven't found the models yet.

Doc
I think it will be hard to convert, even more so regarding the $$, but you might just figure it out.

Count Homogenised said:
I started the other way, with Tomb Kings first. I thought the new range of models were great and the tragic back-story of how they come to be appealed to me more than the self-seeking Vampires.

However, once you start playing with the undead then you get tempted to the "dark side" :D, and the TK suffer a bit from being very predictable in how they play - the more random element of the VC army can be more fun - and I am hoping that some of the more crappy models (Black Knights) will be much improved when the new book and figures are released.
Greetings and welcome Count Homogenised!

I heard from sources that the models are awespiring! :O

Oh, seems I totally forgot to put my own view on here. :|

I guess it really is about Skeletons. Yeap, skellies. Those cannon fodder guys with shields and hand weapons, or spears if you'd like. I always liked the idea of tombs crawling with Skeletons, but in a medieval sphere... so not in a desert, but just in an Europe themed area.

Besides that, I think Vampires are pretty cool as well. The models don't justify them in my opinion, just like many models at the moment, but that's me.

Well, zombies mostly, vampires and necromancers to a lesser extent. Who wants skeletons when you can have rotting, stinking and shouting(BRAAAINS!) zombies who cuts(or bludgeons with assorted bodyparts) the enemy with their endless tide? And especially when they are pirates of course.

Chris

short and sweet i love vampires and i love evil. i also like a character that is in ur face such a blood dragon vampire.

VC all the way vampires and zombies in one YAY
although i dont mind TK there are just a little less fun

I prefer armies from the Old World and would prefer GW focus on it. I think that the Lizardmen always look a bit out of place, and the Tomb Kings rarely even leave Khemri for pete's sake.

I play L5R and Weapons of the Gods, lest you think me ethnocentric. :tongue:

Bug16

Vampire Count
True Blood
I ran a TK army for a short while but I just found it really uninspiring fluff wise (which is odd given how much cool Egyptian mythology there is) and the army was dull to play imo. It'll be off to ebay in the none to distant future.

I've always loved zombie movies and had a strange fascination with the idea of an ancient medievel looking undead army.

If we ignore things like the skeletons talking and running away lots, the undead army in Army of Darkness looks superb.

VC's have got a wealth of really cool fluff from loads of sources to draw from (films, books, legends, etc) which is really in their favour.

I'm actually not a big fan of Vampires(!) and much prefer the idea of necromancers who've slowely gone mad over centuries of solitude and raise an army of the dead and going off on a conquest.

Like others I used to run an Undead army before GW split it into TK's and VC's and all of the bits I never used to use in the Undead army (skull chuckers, chariots, liches) were put into the TK army.

Atropos

Black Knight
I love Vampire Counts because they're dark, cruel... I love Vampires, and Zombies, and Skell... and... ALL!!! It's an awesome army.

Evil Clown

Black Knight
When I first started to play Warhammer, Tomb Kings just weren't out yet, so it was an easy choice for me... Mind you, when they came out, I collected them for a while, but their lack of Zombies made me go back to VC:mrgreen: