• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Viability of Altar of Undeath (9th age)

Quinten

Grave Guard
I'm making a list for VC in 9th age and I'm just having a hard time justifying spending the 400pts on one of these things. Screaming got nerfed hard, you now have to choose between damage and regen, and you can't take a DT as of 1.2. Essentially it lost a lot of its support capabilities (screaming into combat, magical support, regen and damage bubble) so now to get the points back it actually needs to charge which becomes problematic because most of our units bleed combat res and the thing isn't strong enough to charge on its own. In comparison a Varlok is less points, can do more damage, is more survivable, but is a now gimmicky support abilities that is barely worth the point difference, before you consider the damage difference. Am I missing something or should I just take a Varlok?

Just realized this may not be the right place for 9th age tactical discussion. If it isn't may someone please tell me and I'll post in the appropriate place in the future.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
You found the right forum alright.

The loss of the Dark Tome is a bit sad, but it did get cheaper than in v1.2 (or rather same cost but scream included). I think it can still be useful, but you kind of have to build your list around it. With a nice big unit of Ghasts and a unit of Ghouls with a vampire with Curse of the Blood inside it could be well worth its points.

The Varkolak will probably serve you better in most other cases though.

I'm making a list for VC in 9th age and I'm just having a hard time justifying spending the 400pts on one of these things. Screaming got nerfed hard, you now have to choose between damage and regen, and you can't take a DT as of 1.2. Essentially it lost a lot of its support capabilities (screaming into combat, magical support, regen and damage bubble) so now to get the points back it actually needs to charge which becomes problematic because most of our units bleed combat res and the thing isn't strong enough to charge on its own. In comparison a Varlok is less points, can do more damage, is more survivable, but is a now gimmicky support abilities that is barely worth the point difference, before you consider the damage difference. Am I missing something or should I just take a Varlok?

Just realized this may not be the right place for 9th age tactical discussion. If it isn't may someone please tell me and I'll post in the appropriate place in the future.
You are not missing anything. My observations are the same. Actually, since the beggining of the 9th age version, Mortis Engine wasn't worth taking (except crypt horor-heavy list). Removal of the Tome option (instead of making it viable/balanced) is sad.

Pity as it's such a cool looking model. I still haven't built mine though. It's moving straight to the end of the list now as I don't own any number of ghouls or ghasts.

Quinten

Grave Guard
Pity as it's such a cool looking model. I still haven't built mine though. It's moving straight to the end of the list now as I don't own any number of ghouls or ghasts.
I know. I bought mine used and the person I bought it from actually did a really good job painting it. I guess in v1.3 maybe they will bring back the dark tome and/or give it a point drop and/or allow you to damage and buff your own guys so it will once again be viable.

Quinten

Grave Guard
I literally just joined the ninth age forum to like the post in the vampire counts thread that said bring back dark tome. :innocent:

While I agree, I must point out that since the maximum casting bonus is limited to +3 in the 9th age, it used to not fully stack with wizard lords (2+2). They could make the tome only +1 to cast, but free, if they are adamant in their decision on casting bonuses limitation.
I can't understand the reason to nerf mortis engine (compared to 8ed) in the first place, it never was overpowered, I think.
Actually, I can't understand reasons for many changes/decisions in 9th age since its very beginning.

Well I just played a game with a level 4 master and 2 level 1 apprentices. I gave the master the +1 book and thigns went well for me. I do miss the old days of 3x30 zombies plus a bunker with 2-3 level 1s and dark tome nearby. However, I haven't even tried it recently. Sadly, I just take a unit of 40 ghouls and a bunker for core for compettive games in 1.2. Too bad I don't like ghouls :/

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
@Eternal Salvation: Funny, I've stopped using ghouls in v1.2. I find the lack of musicians disturbing. I've opted for skeletons instead, as it also allows me to fit an extra zombie unit, great for getting objectives.

Well, yes. But they work for me because I hold them back and they threaten more than they actually commit. I usually place them across from an enemy block and stand there, lol.
I feel like they can actually hold up in combat on their own against some things.