• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

VS Khorne (3000 points)

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Apologies for any vagueness in this battle report, hopefully you'll be able to get the gist if it! Hopefully logan054 will be able to post a pic or two at some point...

My army list can be found here:
http://www.thegreatuncleanone.com/viewShort.asp?ArmyID=256896

Logan054's army was something like this:
Daemon Prince (Regular Ward, Axe of Khorne, Master of Mortals)
2 x Exalted Champions, one with Axe of Khorne in Knights, other with Marauders
6 Chosen Knights of Khorne
5 Knights of Khorne
15 Warriors of Khorne
24 Marauders
3 x 5 Hounds
Beast Herd
4 Dragon Ogres
2 x 3 Minotaurs
8 Furies

Deployment

The battlefield had a wood in the top left and right hand deployment zones, plus a Watchtower at the edge of the bottom left deployment area and a hill in the middle at the lower deployment zone.

My army set up with a strong infantry base in the centre, with both Queen and Count going with the Grave Guard. The stronger Black Knights went left along with the Banshee, while the Spirit Hosts and smaller Knight unit went to the right, with both the Wolf units and Black Coach further on to the right. The Ghouls stuck around the middle, ready to sacrifice themselves.

I rolled some pretty good magic, most Wizards getting Gaze or Vanhels, except my Count, who had to make do with the Invocation and Hand of Dust.

The Chaos army's infantry set up in the middle, screened by Beastmen and Hounds. Both units of Knights plus some Dragon Ogres and Minotaurs went on the left, with another to the right.

Turn One

I rolled higher and took the first turn- usually I like having the final turn for any last minute gambits, but not against Khorne.

The Ghouls nipped forward, along with the Spirit Hosts and Banshee on opposite sides. The Wolves couldn't march, but moved towards the Woods, along with the Black Coach. The battleline edged forward, not wanting to get too close to the Khornate forces.

For magic, the Zombie unit doubled in size while more Skeletons joined the armoured unit, and the Banshee moved up into the tower. From there, she screamed at one unit of hounds, all of whom died, panicking the other unit of hounds off the board. Not bad!

The Chaos forces thundered forwards, Hounds and Furies taking position near the right-hand forest. The Minotaurs had to charge the tower in their frenzy and kicked out the Banshee although she took no damage due to the nearby Wight Lord Battle Standard.

Turn Two

The Wolves charged the Hounds, the Black Coach declaring a charge against the Furies in case the hounds fled- which they didn't, so the Coach's charge failed. Which was fine. The big Black Knights charged into the massive unit of Marauders, weary of the nearby Dragon Ogres and Minotaurs. The Spirit Hosts tried to move back behind some Ghouls but could not get away from the fearsome Daemon Prince. The Banshee moved into suicide position in front of the Dragon Ogres.

Magic saw a miscast by the mounted Necromancer, 10 beams of dark magic shooting out and killing a Minotaur in the tower before the spell was lost (Great miscast!). Another 10 hits from the Gaze wounded the Daemon Prince, before the Banshee was moved magically across the rear of the Black Knights and screamed at the Dragon Ogres and caused a wound.

Combat went well, as the Exalted Champion with the Marauders fell victim to Killing Blow and several others in the unit were killed as well, although their massive static CR kept them in combat. The Dire Wolves killed three hounds, chasing after the hounds and getting into combat with the Furies.

The forces of Chaos kept moving forward, mostly screened well, though the Daemon Prince flew into the Spirit Hosts and the Beastmen thundered into the Ghouls. The Daemon Prince only managed to do three wounds to the Spirit hosts who managed to do two wounds in return, amazingly! The Beastmen smashed through the Ghouls into the smaller unit of Black Knights, who were confident they could dispatch the interlopers.

The Dire Wolves were not so Dire and killed a Fury, the remaining fought back and killed a couple of Wolves, but the combat would continue.

The Dragon Ogres smashed through the flank of the Black Knights and mangled six of the Knights, who kept hacking apart the Marauders until all the magic animating their forms had expired. They overran into the Banshee...

Turn Three

The Black Coach thundered into the Furies to save the Dire Wolves! Queen Lahamas, her bodyguard and her Grave Grave attacked the Chaos Warriors, while the rest of the infantry readied themselves to handle the oncoming storm of Chaos Knights. The mounted Necromancer moved away from the carnage, not realising the danger he left himself in...

More troops were raised in the magic phase, and the Banshee managed to kill a Dragon Ogre with her scream. Lahamas and her bodyguards smashed through the Chaos Warriors like they were nothing, overruning far forward. The Beastmen killed two Black Knights and the rest fought poorly, the Knights crumbling to dust leaving the Beastmen ready to attack any unfortunates nearby...

The Black Coach crushed three Furies, leaving the coach out of combat! The Furies tried to tear apart the remaining Dire Wolves but left one on its feet, while a couple of Furies dissolved. The Banshee tried to harm the Dragon Ogres, but could not survive and also dissolved over the two combat phases of the turn.

Finally, the Spirit Hosts continued their evil reign and destroyed the Daemon Prince, taking him to their own personal Hell.

The two Knights units charged the Skeleton units while the Beastmen threw themselves at the mounted Necromancer and ripped him apart. The Marauders positioned themselves to face the Vampires.

The Chosen broke through the Skeleton unit, though the other unit couldn't quite take down the other unit of Skeletons. Minotaurs and Spirit Hosts fought in vain, the Hosts eventually destroying the Minotaurs. The Furies finally finished off the Dire Wolf...

Turn Four

Queen Lahamas and her entourage moved into position to charge the Marauders, using the power of Vanhel's Danse Macabre to do so. The Marauders were slaughtered and the Grave Guard overran far enough to hit the Dragon Ogres' flank! The Skeletons charged the Beastmen and pushed them back.

The Black Coach charged the Furies again, finishing them off easily. Queen Lahamas and the Grave Guard wiped out the Dragon Ogres before they could even ready their weapons.

The Chaos Knights continued their rampage and destroyed the remaining Zombies and Skeletons easily. The Minotaurs and Knights caught the remaining Ghouls despite their pathetic attempt at fleeing the enemy.

Turn Five

The Grave Guard moved towards the Chaos Knights hoping to decide the battle, while the Black Coach moved to threaten the remaining Minotaurs. The Spirit Hosts and Dire Wolves headed towards the edge of the battlefield where they could not be harmed... the forces of Chaos moved into position themselves, finishing off the Zombies, leaving the Necromancer to fight alone.

Turn Six

The Queen moved into position to take on the Knights of Khorne, while the Black Coach smashed into the Minotaurs. However it did not do enough damage and they stuck around. The Chosen Knights smashed into the oversized Chariot's flank and did a tonne of damage, however it had gotten up to 13 wounds thanks to the dead Furies and it survived the end of the battle- just.

The lone Necromancer read a mystical incantation from the Book of Arkhan before being torn to pieces by the forces of Chaos- however, he was out of range and Queen Lahamas' Guard could not make it into combat with the Knights just yet, instead bracing themselves for the charge.

The Knights thundered in, their Exalted Champion bellowing a fierce challenge (Something about “Two Lords in one unit? That's soooo cheesy!”) which the Queen herself moved forward to accept. Her attacks were swift and cut the Chaos minion deeply, before he swung back, causing two wounds- one of them a Killing Blow!! However the Queen's Quickblood saved her (“And oh yeah I forgot, I have the Cursed Book here as well”) from total annihilation, while the rest of the Knights tried to destroy the Count, failing abysmally. A keen strike from the Grave Guard killed a Knight, and sensing the battle was lost the Knights fell back, the Grave Guard proudly holding aloft the captured banner.

End of game: I had my Lady, Count, Grave Guard, Spirit Hosts and one unit of Wolves remaining, and half the Coach while logan had the Chosen Knights, the Beastmen and Minotaurs. I had a couple of table quarters, and the enemy General's head (We both had a couple of banners). So logan had about 1900 VPs to my 3000- a solid victory to the Vampire Counts. All hail Queen Lahamas!

It was a very good battle, and yes I had two fighting Lords in one unit, but I really needed them to fight together to stand a chance of surviving against such a brutal combat army. Logan's massacred my Counts a couple of times before so I don't feel bad about using such a powerful tactic however :tongue:

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
*edit* less beer fueled post :) Well what what can i say, EvC did it again, slightly ticked about the method but none the less cant take the win away from him, sadly i think our games are going to end up with less and less chaos infantry being used :( I think if i had known about both characters always striking first and being at -1 to hit i would have sent the chosen knights into the flank of them rather than going after the black coah.

Daemon prince seems like a massive waste of money with the current rules, ahh well next time i will get you!

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Yeah, I look forward to it! Have you used the Daemon Prince against anyone else yet?

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
yeah, used it against ol, died horrible as he old blood had bane head on it and then another weapon that doubles wounds against it and allow no ward saves i believe, basically if i fail one 6+ save im dead. I can honestly say im really see little point in using it anymore and i doubt i will bother finishing the paint job.

I think 430pts its just a flying chaos lord with a extra wound and far less armour and pretty poor weapon options, i think the only way its going to work is with some house rules. Ol compared it to a dragon or giant, hardly the same thing i think but anyways

EvC said:
Magic saw a miscast by the mounted Necromancer, 10 beams of dark magic shooting out and killing a Minotaur in the tower before the spell was lost (Great miscast!).
Would this not be only D6 hits as they are in a building?

logan054 said:
yeah, used it against ol, died horrible as he old blood had bane head on it and then another weapon that doubles wounds against it and allow no ward saves i believe.
Yep lovely Combo vs big demons, Blade of realities and a Bane Head, 12 wounds in one go, nice!
Shame his Exalted then KB my Old one next turn though...:(

I think 430pts its just a flying chaos lord with a extra wound and far less armour and pretty poor weapon options, i think the only way its going to work is with some house rules. Ol compared it to a dragon or giant, hardly the same thing i think but anyways
I still think it is so good, Just you cant expect it to always win against Characters though. Used well to take on flanks, warmachines, gunlines etc it can cause carnage.
That's not to say I wont be glad to see the back of it though...

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Dude, its meant for killing characters characters, its lack the protection to attack gunlines are warmachines, being frenzied its far easier to talk about using it as flanker than actually doing so, with a 20" charge its pretty hard to screen, if you want to kill gunlines its furies and screamers all the way. I think a character that has 6 killing blow attacks at strength 6 and re-rolls on the charge is a character killer (your character was lucky however with 6 hits i didnt get a killing blow!). It lacks the attacks to last in a sustained combat with units.

Serious mate, at best it can have a 4+ save + a 5+ ward save, thats not going to last long against handgunner and warmachines with only T5 and 4 wounds. I dont think you will ever find a chaos player that believes they are worth using, i simply took it for fluff reason and tried to make it work, it simply dosnt. It works far better in the SoC lists however as at least it can have a 4+ ward save which makes a huge difference for something so fragile. I think sadly this is the case with many things in the chaos book being either over priced or under priced (chaos warriors, marauders now, chaos lords spring to mind, i would agree that knights and exalted are to cheap however).

Admittedly against EvC he seems to get some damn dodgy rolls against it! If it returns i think i will be using a pair of exalted daemons rather than a single daemon prince :)

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
FatOlaf said:
You had me worried for a second, but that's for template weapons/ spells, magic missiles do the regular amount of hits.

FatOlaf

Varghulf
EvC said:
FatOlaf said:
You had me worried for a second, but that's for template weapons/ spells, magic missiles do the regular amount of hits.
Really. what about organ guns and cannons then? Just this has come up before?

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Cannons and the like do D6 hits, but it states later that magic missiles do the normal amount of damage.

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Tarryn seems to think i should get a haircut to however im still going to grow it and get dreads :D Your gona have to let me know when you want that next arse kicking ;)