• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Warband Tactics

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Hi everyone. This thread is meant to act as a warbands tactics thread, specifically relating to VC. As warbands can be played from 100 points+, this is a very broad range. The focus of this thread will be on 500 - 1000 point games, with warband rules on heros (0-2, 150 points total).

The issue with warbands is that there is very little points to work with, therefore, small units and very little static CR due to ranks. Combined with, at most, we have 2 lvl 1 Necros or one lvl 2, we have not a lot of magic to work with, and I found my conventional tactic of raising units did not work.

Another issue was where to put the necromancer, as every unit was tiny and there was no zombie bunker to speak of. VC also have no missle fire to speak of, which makes it difficult to deal with fast cav, and skirmishing missle-fire units like elves and skinks. All in all, very difficult to play.

I'm looking to compile some advice here. So hopefully we can get some of the more experienced players to lend their knowledge!

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Nobody has any advice? Well, I've been finding regular outnumber and swarm techniques do not work. There is not enough points to have a lot of rank bonuses. Also, with so little points it is very difficult to catch skirmishers.

Black knights are excellent; skeletons are working better than zombies (equip them with shields, haven't decided if light armour is necessary) as at most I'll have 2 IoN's at 3+ probably or 1 IoN at 7+.

Necromancers are still hard to find a place to hide, I may switch out my necro and get a tougher general, most likely a vampire thrall and put him on foot with great weapon and flayed hauberk, or possibly a wight lord with the black knights. Necromancer generals are too weak and my army is too susceptible to crumble.

TheAdmiral

Black Knight
http://www.warvault.net/warhammer_realm/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4360&hilit=

3-5 pages of Warband goodiness :grin:

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Excellent tactica, although the strengths of the warband (speed and shooting) is what VC do poorly (actually not at all for the shooting). Also the magic as mentioned, seems to fall apart at this level. In a regular game, the lvl 2 has 2 PD and 1 DD which when you have a few wizards, works. Your magic gets through. But at this level, it is extremely difficult to make spells work. In fact next game I will not use magic at all, I'll field a VC thrall with wolf form.

TheAdmiral

Black Knight
Wolf Form and Bat form are the key to succes with VC. I like to use tons of Zombies and Dire Wovles too. If you can get the numbers, get them!