• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Aranei

Ghoul
Oct 22, 2014
St. Petersburg
Have anyone tried Warcry? Currently there are 3 Death warbands available for this skirmish: Legions of Nagash (Necromancer, skeletons, grave guards), Nighthaunts and Flesh-eaters. You can also hire a Wight King as a mercenary.

I have played 2 games and did like it. The scenarios are fast, you can finish a game in 30-40 minutes, and there is enough tactical depth (management of warband abilities, for example) to keep it interesting.

The game also has 2 expansions already. It also has a campaign system like in Mordheim.

What do you think?

Reactions: Grave Tacticus

Oppenheimer

Varghulf
May 26, 2013
The Tabletop Minions Youtube channel has lots of good things to say about Warcry so I was mulling over getting into it the other day since I'm all psyched by 3e now. I have one friend who isn't into Warhammer at all but might get into Warcry. I think if he does that'd push me over the edge. Otherwise, I do prefer large scale battles to small ones. But using the minis I already have would be nice.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
I played it with my nighthaunts and love it. I love the fast pace and tactical focus. Also Nighthaunts are really mobile in Warcry - I mean your whole band has flying and good movement stats, that's just awesome.

Reactions: Oppenheimer

Kassill

Grave Guard
Sep 28, 2011
So one thing I'm still fuzzy about, are Warcry, Direchasm, and Underworlds connected or are they all separate systems?

Oppenheimer

Varghulf
May 26, 2013
@Kassill
Underwords has had three editions
Underworlds: Shadespire
Underworlds: Beastgrave
Underworlds: Direchasm

They are all the same thing.

Warcry is totally separate system/game.

Reactions: Kassill

Kassill

Grave Guard
Sep 28, 2011
@Kassill
Underwords has had three editions
Underworlds: Shadespire
Underworlds: Beastgrave
Underworlds: Direchasm

They are all the same thing.

Warcry is totally separate system/game.
Ahhhh, ok cool. Thanks for the clarification. Is warcry closer to Kill Team then as far as comparisons?

Gederas

Grave Guard
Jun 15, 2021
Rhode Island
So one thing I'm still fuzzy about, are Warcry, Direchasm, and Underworlds connected or are they all separate systems?
Warcry is a separate skirmish game. Direchasm is the newest (about to go to a new) block for Warhammer Underworlds.

Basically, Warcry is the AoS "kind of not really" equivalent of Necromunda for 40k. It's a smaller skirmish game based on "Your Dudes" more than AoS' army on army battles. It's basically build your list, smash the enemy (sometimes do objectives) and get loot and XP.

And yes, it's basically Kill-Team for AoS

Warhammer Underworlds is an even smaller game, with the biggest warband being 7 models (our very own Sepulchral Guard) and the smallest warbands being three models. It's a combination deck-building and miniatures arena game, where you build a deck of cards to give your warband different bonuses and abilities you can get. It has a cycle, where older "blocks" are phased out (annoyingly, this means the oldest Warhammer Underworlds warbands don't have their cards anymore with the re-released boxes) with the two most recent being the ones in circulation. Warhammer Underworlds has had the following: Nightvault (first released, which is why some people still call the game as such), Beastgrave and Direchasm. They just released the last Direchasm warband, so we're likely going to see the new "setting" soon-ish.

Warhammer Underworlds has the following for Death Warbands:
  1. Thorns of the Briar Queen (Unique Banshee and Chainrasps, Nighthaunt) [Original Nightvault, no longer has warband cards only the models]
  2. Sepulchral Guard (Deathrattle, Soulblight Gravelords) [Original Nightvault, no longer has warband cards only the models]
  3. The Grymwatch (Ghouls, Flesh-Eater Courts)
  4. Lady Harrow's Mournflight (Myrmourn Banshees, Nighthaunt) [note: not actually a "made for Underworlds" warband, they're the ETB Myrmourn Banshees kit given rules for Underworlds]
  5. The Crimson Court (4 Vampires, Soulblight Gravelords)
  6. Kainan's Reapers (AN ABSOLUTE UNIT Mortisian and his Mortek lads, Ossiarch Bonereapers)

One of the cool things about both Underworlds and Warcry is you can use the made-for-the-game warbands in your army. Slaves to Darkness (and Daughters of Khaine) have all the Warcry-unique Warbands currently. The Underworlds warbands range from "decent" to "use them as generic units, they're trash", in terms of use however. The Crimson Court is the latter, as while Prince Duvale is nice, the other three are saddled with a terrible warscroll

Last edited:

Kassill

Grave Guard
Sep 28, 2011
Warcry is a separate skirmish game. Direchasm is the newest (about to go to a new) block for Warhammer Underworlds.

Basically, Warcry is the AoS "kind of not really" equivalent of Necromunda for 40k. It's a smaller skirmish game based on "Your Dudes" more than AoS' army on army battles. It's basically build your list, smash the enemy (sometimes do objectives) and get loot and XP.

And yes, it's basically Kill-Team for AoS

Warhammer Underworlds is an even smaller game, with the biggest warband being 7 models (our very own Sepulchral Guard) and the smallest warbands being three models. It's a combination deck-building and miniatures arena game, where you build a deck of cards to give your warband different bonuses and abilities you can get. It has a cycle, where older "blocks" are phased out (annoyingly, this means the oldest Warhammer Underworlds warbands don't have their cards anymore with the re-released boxes) with the two most recent being the ones in circulation. Warhammer Underworlds has had the following: Nightvault (first released, which is why some people still call the game as such), Beastgrave and Direchasm. They just released the last Direchasm warband, so we're likely going to see the new "setting" soon-ish.

Warhammer Underworlds has the following for Death Warbands:
  1. Thorns of the Briar Queen (Unique Banshee and Chainrasps, Nighthaunt) [Original Nightvault, no longer has warband cards only the models]
  2. Sepulchral Guard (Deathrattle, Soulblight Gravelords) [Original Nightvault, no longer has warband cards only the models]
  3. The Grymwatch (Ghouls, Flesh-Eater Courts)
  4. Lady Harrow's Mournflight (Myrmourn Banshees, Nighthaunt) [note: not actually a "made for Underworlds" warband, they're the ETB Myrmourn Banshees kit given rules for Underworlds]
  5. The Crimson Court (4 Vampires, Soulblight Gravelords)
  6. Kainan's Reapers (AN ABSOLUTE UNIT Mortisian and his Mortek lads, Ossiarch Bonereapers)

One of the cool things about both Underworlds and Warcry is you can use the made-for-the-game warbands in your army. Slaves to Darkness (and Daughters of Khaine) have all the Warcry-unique Warbands currently. The Underworlds warbands range from "decent" to "use them as generic units, they're trash", in terms of use however. The Crimson Court is the latter, as while Prince Duvale is nice, the other three are saddled with a terrible warscroll
Cool! Thanks for the information. I remember some of them being hard to find, like I want to get one of the Goblin ones for a friend from earlier on but I guess they are OOP 😢 I did manage to get The Crimson Court as those minis look so good! I like that they are all useable outside of these systems.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Thanks for a brilliant write-up @Gederas, I was wondering on the differences myself! It is really cool you can use your AoS models in those games, opens doors. Many moons ago Necromunda interested in for having a band that could grow and develop a narrative, so Warcry sounds interesting 🤔

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Yeah, that was the one vamp I wasn't impressed by 😕 I get a vamp loves his bats, but acting like a Disney princess and having them do his hair is just...weird...

Reactions: Oppenheimer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu