• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Warhammer 5th Edition Campaign

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Hello everyone!

It is with great pleasure that I present this beginning campaign blog to you, for I have finally found a small group of guys to play through a campaign of Warhammer Fantasy 5th edition with. It'll be a territory-driven campaign where our four armies battle to conquer the riches of an unknown land.

As it stands there will be the Empire, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins and me with Undead. The plan is to begin playing near the end of this month and then keep to a gaming session once every two or three weeks. In this thread I intend to give a large scale report on how the campaign is progressing for me. I don't think I'll cover any of the battles in great detail unless they are of extra importance.

You may be wondering why we've chosen the 5th edition? Well, not only am I hugely nostalgic for it since I grew up reading my brother's army books, it has a couple of pros that I really love. For one, most things cost a lot more points so armies are smaller than in later editions, which I've come to appreciate as a good thing this late in life. Secondly, the army building is less restrictive: like 8th edition it also uses percentages but unlike 8th it doesn't separate between Core, Special and Rare but instead lumps most things under Regiments which is what you need to have at least 25% of. Thirdly, the Undead of 5th edition (or 4th, to be accurate) is just the definitive Warhammer undead army, complete with skeletons, mummies, wraiths, chariots, catapults and vampires that are quite a big deal. I could go on but I'd just get long-winded!

The Campaign

The campaign rules we'll be playing with are inspired by the ones in the official Battle Book that came with the 5th edition starter box. It goes a long way towards limiting the insane character setups that 5th came to be known for, at least when we're starting out, and it will also be good for my playmates who don't have their own armies yet to collect things incrementally. I'll give you a quick summary on how it works.

Every player will begin the campaign with three territories randomly generated from a chart. There are quite a few different territories all with their own benefits and values. Whenever a game is played, each player stakes one of his territories on the outcome of the battle and the winner gets to pick from either the loser's territory or one that is newly generated. The loser will get the new territory in case the winner decides to take his, with the outcome being that the winner gains an additional territory while the loser keeps the same number he had before the match.

A new army is built before each match and the random nature of the territories will mean that we all have slightly different conditions to work with. Before the benefits from the territories are added, these are the baseline restrictions that all players have to abide to on top of the normal percentage limits for each army.

600 points total
1 General
0-1 level 1 wizard
0-1 magic item with a max cost of 50 points
0-1 warmachine
0-1 large monster

We decided to go with 600 points to give us small and quick battles starting out, but since it's actually pretty rare to find a territory that increases a player's total points to play with we might increase it to a base of 1000 points about 6 battles or so into the campaign to simulate an escalation.

At the moment we don't have a clear campaign goal in mind but the rules suggest that the first couple of players to reach 12 territories will fight a final battle between themselves to crown a victor. We'll probably go with that just to keep things simple.

Last edited:

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
The Campaigning Undead

We have all already rolled for our territories and compared to the baseline my starting position looks like this.

620 points total
1 General
0-1 level 1 wizard
0-2 magic items with a max cost of 50 points
0-5 magic items with no maximum cost
0-1 warmachine
0-1 large monster

Territories: Treasure Hoard, Trading Route, Road

As you can see I rolled it big by gaining a Treasure Hoard right off the bat. With all those magic items I have the start of a truly terrifying general in the making... if only I weren't limited to 310 points. I also got a modest increase in points from the Road which is always welcome and it will increase in value by a further D6x10 points if I dare to stake it on a battle and win.

Now, as the Undead I'm in a bit of a pinch at such little points. The cheapest true general I have is at 350 points which I can't even afford at base value. We've decided that I can instead go with a hero level character to act as my general.

I expect a bit of trouble starting out since my magic will be limited. The majority of Undead regiments are unable to march so will depend on having Vanhel's cast on them to get them moving. I also can't leverage my magic item advantage yet due to the small scale of things. However, I can still fit in a well equipped Vampire Counts who'll be a great fighter. I could go for a defensive army with a catapult and shooting skeletons to make the enemy come to me, so that my poor movement won't matter as much, or I could focus on the few units that don't suffer as much from a lack of magic, like horsemen and ghouls.

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Current Campaign Status

This is where I'll keep an up-to-date record of how the campaign is progressing.

This is what I am allowed to have in any given game.

620 points total
1 General
0-1 level 1 wizard
0-2 magic items with a max cost of 50 points
0-5 magic items with no maximum cost
0-3 warmachines
0-2 large monsters

Territories: Treasure Hoard, Trading Route, Road, Mountain, Forest

Number of battles: 3

Last edited:

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Today we had our first games of the campaign. The O&G player started with a game against Empire that ended in a draw, but by luck of the dice he won a new territory at the end and ended up with a Mountain Pass that gives him 100 extra points to field. So when it was my turn to have a game I had to face 700 points of O&G against my 620.

This was my list.
--------------------------------------
Vampire Count
-skeleton steed
-additional hand weapon
-carstein ring
-cursed book

5 Skeleton Horsemen
-banner, musician
-lance, light armour, shield

10 Ghouls

5 Ghouls

1 Carrion
Our game also ended in a draw (seems a common theme at these low points) but there was a spectacular showdown between my Vampire Count and my opponent's Giant. We both went into the game knowing that these two were basically the only things capable of taking each other out.

I'll try to keep this short by making a point-by-point breakdown of how the duel played out.
  • I charge in my turn, hoping to survive the combat round so I could throw Hand of Dust with total power (I was keeping the card in reserve) in the magic phase (which is after the combat phase in 5th edition).
  • My opponent passes his Transfix LD test because of his Night Goblin Warlord being within 12'' with the Crown of Command (LD10).
  • I flub my rolls entirely and the Vampire gets splatted by the Giant's Jump Up and Down (2D6 S7 hits...)
  • I have the Carstein Ring and decide to resurrect into the ongoing combat, hoping to pass the break test and hold so I could get Hand of Dust off. However, I fail the break test at -4 (rolled a 6, needed a 5)
  • The Vampire flees further than the Giant pursues. The Giant charges in its turn but does not catch the Vampire who rallies on my next turn.
  • The Giant charges again in its following turn but the earlier pursuit took it outside the Warlord's inspiring presence, so it now had to take the Transfix test on LD6 and failed, making it unable to attack in this combat round as well as being hit automatically.
  • The Vampire causes 4 wounds, breaks the Giant and runs it down.
So much on the line during these turns. Even at 600 points you can get these grand moments!

Our game ended in a draw and by a dice roll I was awarded the new territory: a Mountain that lets me take another large monster, giving me 0-2 in total. Doesn't help me out with points, though...

Anyway, we'll continue this as soon as we can, hopefully in less than two weeks.

Last edited:

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
This weekend saw a couple more battles where I tried using a defensive list to really take a step back from my old habits of playing Vampire Counts in the 7th, 8th and 9th editions. Overall I found Undead shooting to be pretty effective and fun to use.

My list.

Vampire Count
-additional hand weapon
-crossbow
-carstein ring
-cursed book

13 Skeleton Crossbowmen
-banner
--banner of sorcery
-crossbows

5 Ghouls

1 Carrion

1 Screaming Skull Catapult

In both games I played I picked Gaze of Nagash for my spell on the Vampire Count. I felt it would work nicely in this list, giving me more ranged punch.

First I went against Empire in an interesting match. He had a similar list to last time, with a General on Griffon, 10 Swordsmen with Champion, 10 Handgunners and a Great Cannon. I ended up outshooting him pretty severely with the superior range of the crossbows. His cannon imploded on the second shot too, which helps. :clown: Everything was going great until his General made a diving charge at my crossbowmen with the Vampire. Vampires in the 4th edition Undead book are not immune to psychology and does not cause fear so I had to take a terror test. I failed it and rolled 11'' on the flee, taking my general off the table and ending the game in a victory to the Empire since my army crumbled. Boom, just like that. And my Count was pretty sure to beat the General in a challenge, too. My opponent was rewarded with a Trade Route, giving him one more 0-50 points magic item.

Second game was against the Orcs and Goblins again. Instead of a Giant he had his Goblin Warlord on a Griffon (lots of those around now) and a bunch of Squig Hoppers. They're pretty annoying since they are deployed individually, so my shooting could only target one at a time as they came bouncing towards me. He also had a block of Night Goblins with a Shaman carrying the Crown of Command (LD10), making them difficult to shift, but my Catapult got a fantastic hit right on his Shaman. He failed the Look Out Sir roll and died, but was brought back to life by the Escape magic card that he kept in reserve, but the rest of the unit failed their panic test. They later rallied so no victory points to me but atleast they didn't do any damage to me in return. Otherwise, his Griffon flew around and did stuff, taking out the Ghouls and Catapult, but avoided my Count in the Crossbowmen so the game ended in another draw between the Orcs and Undead. We rolled up a Forest territory and I won the dice roll to take it, letting me take up to 2 more war machines.

I haven't faced the Lizardmen yet so I suppose they'll be coming up next, and he just got a territory that lets him include a level 2 wizard. I bet I'll be up against a Slann Champion next time. Could be bad. Maybe I can counter it with a fleet of Chariots...

Last edited:

Jon

Mortarch of Salt
True Blood
Good stuff. I have a real soft spot for fifth edition, it's where I came in, and the territory based campaign system was really neat.