• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

warhammer paints

Draykorinee

Grave Guard
Recently had a few warhammer paints open up in like a lumpy blob, I bought changeling pink and emperors children pink (both look very different in the pot but near identical on the model :() the changeling was useless without being watered down and even now has little lumps that occasionaly need wiping off my model whereas emperors was as smooth and perfect as you like. Its not the first paint, should I take them back or just acknowledge this is normal?

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Draykorinee Changeling Pink is a Citadel Dry paint, which means it's made specifically for drybrushing (according to GW). They're meant to be thick and have the viscosity you've described, so I wouldn't worry about the quality of it - it sounds about right. These paints shouldn't be watered down.

Emperor's Children is from the Citadel Layer range and should have a nice and fluid consistency, requiring minimal thinning down for use (I like to thin them down anyway).

If you've had issues with other paints in your range of colours then check the pot - anything with 'DRY' under the Citadel logo should have the same consistency as your Changeling Pink. Anything without it shouldn't be a lumpy blob. I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Draykorinee

Grave Guard
Ahh perfect thank you farmer! now I know for future :tongue: I really cound't understand why they were so blobby. Ill paint them with emperors as thats much easier :) the other one I can think off was elder flesh, which, yup is a dry :D

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Draykorinee Yeh, Emperor's for standard painting and Changeling for drybrushing, although I sometimes use paints which aren't dry for drybrushing too.