• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

ironlord

Black Knight
Oct 11, 2008
Bo'ness
well ive read through it and for warhammer players (and especially us VCs) it was a bit of a fail
the only article was a bit about cannon and war machine use (therefor fail for us), now for those of us with our fingers on the pulse of the podcast scene there was an episode about cannon use not too long ago on either Worlds End Radio or Podhammer so for me it seemed a bit redundant
i suppose that we are just weathering the 40k storm that is planet fall and planetary empires, so what are we praying for when the dust of the 40k summer is washed away by the rain of autumn?

doombunny666

Black Knight
Aug 8, 2009
UK
im sick of this 40k money making churn out as much as we can from the poor old cash cow daisy must feel sick by now

anyway my list of things id like to see is this

1.a warhammer naval battles for actual 1/48 scale models not man of war scale

2.some sort of plastic vamp hero set

3.a cathay or araby army or something of some sorts

40k has stolen the light for too long because kids with rich parents like guns and aliens i mean read the rules half of it doesnt make sense your only allowed one save a cover a armour a invunerable why cant i take all of them and now units block fire on a 4+ but the shots just hit them and dont do anything try blocking a plasma cannon and surviving with no armour on

Bug16

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 30, 2007
doombunny666 said:
im sick of this 40k money making churn out as much as we can from the poor old cash cow daisy must feel sick by now

40k outsells WHFB many times over, hence the coverage it gets.

1.a warhammer naval battles for actual 1/48 scale models not man of war scale

Legends Of The High Seas

I don't think it'd be too hard to convert over to WHFB from WAB.

2.some sort of plastic vamp hero set

I better not comment! ;)

3.a cathay or araby army or something of some sorts

I would LOVE to see a decent Cathay/Araby army in WHFB! The Warmaster one looks superb!

40k has stolen the light for too long because kids with rich parents like guns and aliens i mean read the rules half of it doesnt make sense your only allowed one save a cover a armour a invunerable why cant i take all of them and now units block fire on a 4+ but the shots just hit them and dont do anything try blocking a plasma cannon and surviving with no armour on

40k sells mainly because of Space Marines but the whole dark gothic fluff behind it appeals to teenage boys (primarily) more than WHFB does. Also you tend to need less figures to play 40k than WHFB.

The whole cover saves thing is due to 40k being streamlined/dumbed down for fast and simple play. I don't really play 40k anymore although I dabble with 5th on and off and my group still digs Rogue Trader out a few times a year.

Tutteman

Zombie
Apr 18, 2009
Haha, over of the B&C (40K Power Armour forum) they recently had a thread on where are the tactics in 40K? Leading to angry defense and attack of both systems. The idea I believe behind the cover is that the guys block the LOS so they miss the chance to shoot, nevermind how a Ork Warboss can "Hide" behind a Grot :D Shame about WD and the down in the quality, got some old editions a while back and prefer them to the newer ones. Personally I prefer to play Fantasy, but the fluff for 40K is better in my opinion.

Sirihar

Crypt Horror
Aug 16, 2007
Brink Of Insanity
but the whole dark gothic fluff behind it appeals to teenage boys (primarily) more than WHFB does.

I'll always prefer WHFB over 40K simply because I prefer the background.

As for this issue of WD, it seems they are beginning to slip back into all out advertising of products, and very little content. It could just be me, however.

Azhag the Slaughterer is making a return in the next issue. I just hope it's actually worth reading.

ironlord

Black Knight
Oct 11, 2008
Bo'ness
well i seem to have poked a hornet's nest and slapped a bear with a ten pound kipper here

before be go bolter bashing (not a bad phrase there if i dont say so myself) i was kind of hoping to get a thread about WD not just people going angryface about 4tk (on purpose)

if you want a thread for 40k bashing ill just post one up in the general forum

get back on topic!

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
May 27, 2009
Lincoln, England
Wargames Journalism (now there's a niche) is, it seems, the realm of the passionate hobbyist. White Dwarf has contained nothing we haven't seen before for many years.

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
May 27, 2009
Lincoln, England
Sorry if I misled you with the capitals, I was referring to a minor genre, not a specific publication. When I said 'journalism' I was thinking of the multitude of exemplary (if usually short-lived) e-zines (& doubtless latterly paper mags before the advent of widespread internet use) that exist.

ironlord

Black Knight
Oct 11, 2008
Bo'ness
oh right well in that case ill just plug the Slayer Brotherhoods Ezine, featuring a chaos dwarf story written by your's truly

but you raise an interesting point Ophidicus, what about the Ezines?
can they compare to white dwarf?
could one learn from the other?

discuss

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
May 27, 2009
Lincoln, England
I won't do a point-for-point compariseon as the last WD I own is about 4 years old, from the Black Templars-Tau Empire era, don't remember exactly which & don't much care, but from what I have I think that obviously WD has high production values & professional editing, layout, artwork etc. that cannot feasibly be matched by amateur & volunteer staff, but it has a decidedly superficial approach to its subject matter that prevents it being objective about the hobby in the same way that an independant magazine can. I'd have to do a little more research into the e-zines I so readily advocate and the one we all equally readily slander before I go into any more depth. I will say though that the better e-zines are the ones which have no intention of recreating or imitating WD, whether that is in production, the language of its contributors or any other factor.

Bug16

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 30, 2007
Ophidicus said:
I won't do a point-for-point compariseon as the last WD I own is about 4 years old, from the Black Templars-Tau Empire era, don't remember exactly which & don't much care, but from what I have I think that obviously WD has high production values & professional editing, layout, artwork etc. that cannot feasibly be matched by amateur & volunteer staff, but it has a decidedly superficial approach to its subject matter that prevents it being objective about the hobby in the same way that an independant magazine can. I'd have to do a little more research into the e-zines I so readily advocate and the one we all equally readily slander before I go into any more depth. I will say though that the better e-zines are the ones which have no intention of recreating or imitating WD, whether that is in production, the language of its contributors or any other factor.

The funny thing is that Wargames Illustrated now has higher production values and editing than WD, contains lots of very nicely written and detailed articles and it costs less than WD.

WI has basically turned into when WD was great.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu