• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

What 40k army do you play

Quinten

Grave Guard
Just wanted to start a thread asking what 40k army(s) everyone plays. If you don't play 40k post what army you would play if you did. I for one play necrons just love placing models back on the board and shooting the crap out of your opponent. Loved the old C'tan fluff too.

hairyjeff

Crypt Horror
Salamanders SM, Black Templars SM, Tyranids, and starting to get to grips with Dark Eldar. The Salamanders are about 7000 points, Templars about 3000, 'nids 3000, or 8000 unbound, and 2000 DE. The thing about 'nids is that I built the army when Warriors were HQ or Elite, so I have huge broods of gaunts and genies it is now impossible to use in normal situations, and no big guys.

Dark Eldar. Necrons may have the sci-fi skeleton thing, but the Dark Kin are the closest 40K get to vampires.

What's not to love (and fear) about evil, soul-sucking space elf pirates?

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
I play Nurgle originally it started out that since I became interested in Chaos after reading and playing both the Fire warrior video game and novel (which was my first experiance with 40k) I really only picked Nurgle because he was my favourite colour green but then I started reading the fluff becoming enthralled and a few years later I am a firm devotee to all things Nurgle with both Daemons and Chaos Marines

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
I haven't had the opportunity to play any actual games since 7th came out, but mostly I play my Alpha Legion & Nurgle Daemons. I have a sizeable force of Guard (who need to be stripped and repainted) and small forces of Blood Angels, Disciples of Caliban and even some Orks.

My first army were Blood Angels, but those specific Blood Angels are now my father's army (as he did most of the painting when I was that young, and some of them are pretty old models which I don't like the poses of, so I gave them back to him). The first army I was really enthusiastic about were guard, but these days its Chaos all the way, though my very small force of Orks will probably grow in the future.

My little brother has Tau, but he never really got very into the hobby so I will probably dig them out and repaint them for him at some point in the future.

I'm planning to start playing 40k on September and I'd like to give Chaos Space Marines a try... My problem is that I can't decide on a legion! :slapface: I'm interested in three of them: Thousand Sons (huge Tzeentch fan), Death Guard and Night Lords (in that order).

I was wondering if anyone here could help me decide what to do. Make a three-legion warband? Pick one and forget the rest? I don't know.... o.o

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
I play Sisters of Battle, so I always hate buying models. BUT, I killed a hive tyrant with a Condemnor bolt gun, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
I'm planning to start playing 40k on September and I'd like to give Chaos Space Marines a try... My problem is that I can't decide on a legion! :slapface: I'm interested in three of them: Thousand Sons (huge Tzeentch fan), Death Guard and Night Lords (in that order).

I was wondering if anyone here could help me decide what to do. Make a three-legion warband? Pick one and forget the rest? I don't know.... o.o
Best to choose one. Try reading some of the relevant books and see if the characters grab you. (Horus Heresy series has Prospero Burns & A Thousand Sons, and the Night Lords Omnibus is one of the best 40k books out there)

also, look at the models (having models you like is always a great start to choosing an army)

Forgeworld has parts for Night Lords that look great

Games Workshop (and a variety of other manufacturers, including Kromlech & Maximini) do upgrade kits for thousand sons

Thank you for the advice Sanai! I think that I'll choose the Night Lords then. It will be easy to decorate them thanks to all the leftover bitz from my WFB army. :konrad:

Banat

Varghulf
Got about 1500pts of Necrons sitting on a looooooong slooooowww burning back burner. Once I've got that up to 2000pts and painted it all (long term plan) I also hope to get some Dark Eldar, but that's about it for 40K.

Eldar. Started playing them back in 2004 when craftworlds were about and you could focus directly on one craftworld, I was Saim Hann (if that's spelt correctly?).
I had a ton of Jetbikes and Vypers, with a ton of converted Wave Serpents, I had used a snipped version of the shuriken cannons stuck up and splashed along the side of Falcons.

Then collected a brand new (but exactly the same nearly) army of Uthwaite (again if that's spelt correctly?!) when Abaddon stuck out of the Eye of Terror with the massive (and really cool) online campaign they had. I used to use the webway rules where you started with a tiny little force and then your Farseer/Warlock slapped down a portal and BANG all your army flew through this tiny portal and blasted the enemy to pieces. Although that never happened, normally the howling banshees that came through the portal were pretty swiftly gunned down...

Gave up on 40k about 2009 and went to VC and only looked back to dust off my Eldar bits and see how quickly they get chopped down with all the new rules.

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Dark Eldar(started with them when they were a brand new army), Emperors Children, Iron Hands(with some AdMech super-weird conversions thrown in).

I gave up 40K some time ago but because a buddy of mine restarted the group with some cool new people, fluff-players all, I dusted of my models this week. Nice to start when you do not need to buy new models.

Imperial Knights (allied with imperial guard). As soon as I saw them when they came out I wanted them because lets face it who doesn't want a group of giant robots piloted by a single person walking around the field xD. I have made a custom house and the imperial guard are pretty much the men-at-arms of the house.

Now working out what forgeworld knight to get :)

I've got "forces" for all armies, but Sisters of Battle and Imperial Knights. I've got plans to grab a Knight or two at some point, but not yet... Been saving for some more Undead, and the big box of toys sounds groovy :tongue:

Anyway, my main armies are Blood Angels and Tau Empire. Larger armies also include Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Chaos Space Marines and Imperial Guard. Some armies that I've got are only around 30 models, but I do think that every force that I have is game legal :)

- Loran

Alastor

Black Knight
Space marines (1000pts)

Chaos Space Marines (5000pts)

Imperial Guard (2500pts)

I love 40k my first army was Rainbow Warriors when I was five (the painting wasn't great I'll admit.)

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
I guess that I technically still play Eldar, but I have retired from playing 40K completely as of seventh edition. I still have all my Eldar army though. A lot of it dates back to the Rogue Trader days, so I don't want to part with it. It has been with me through every edition, and I live in hope that some day I might return to playing the game, although it's very unlikely, unless GW vastly changes the rules.

I used to play Orks in Rogue Trader and second edition, but I sold them some time ago. I've dabbled with Chaos and Daemons, but have abandoned that project, and I really ought to sell the models.

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
A smaller army of Dark Eldar, and a tiny tiny force of CSM. All I have left of my 40k stuff. Mostly build 40k for the looks, and the "new" DE models are beautiful(with more on the way).

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Mephiston may disagree with you, as he is quite literally a space vampire.
Flying Vampire Jesus approves. :thumbsup:

Also good Choice there John Rainbow, loving the look.

I am a bit of a hobby magpie as i have allot of forces but I am staunchly Imperial. (as in I never touch the foulness of Chaos) ;)

My armies are as follows in no particular order other than to keep the few Xenos I have away from my Loyalists. ;)

- Blood Angels (Started these and those below back in Angels of Death)
- Dark Angels (Bitches love secrets)
- Sisters of Battle (I gave in to the Metal... You simply can not defeat the Metal) ;)
- Inquisition (Love the choices and extendable monkey fingers)
- Grey Knights (If i ever do Custodes using the Emperors Children it will be with these rules but i have my own solid 2k force with baby walker)
- Black Templars (Anger issues baby)
- Minotaurs (Great Models from FW, stop blaming me)
- Black Dragons (Great for customizing choices and are in my eyes a mix of Salamanders & Night Lords)
- Death Watch (Like i said, Bitches love shady secrets)
- Iron Hands (Guess what Else is Iron with these guys) ;)
- Imperial Guard (don't judge me, i love the troops)
- Elysians (I love the flyers or to be more honest drop troops and Vulture Gun Ships)
- Death Korps (Troops have not looked this sexy since the days of Hugo Boss making the uniforms)
- Imperial Knights (May of bought 3... Seer Stars needed to learn...) :devil2:

- Tau (I cosplay, I like battle suits, sue me)
- Eldar (Avatar of Khaine from FW, enough said)
- Dark Eldar (I may also like BDSM... :innocent:)

Now I think thats it bit I tend to miss one or two out...
I like the shinys. :tongue:

Me and my son picked up a dark vengeance set for Christmas and share the armies, he plays chaos marines and recently added some posseseed and bikers and an aspiring champion and I will be doing a sun faction of dark angels