• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

What does Luther Harkon strive for?

Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
155
#1
I am referring to Luthor Harkon of the Vampire Coast. His zombie pirates just seem to be a speed bump for Lustrian raiders. There can't be that much to pirate in that section of waters. What is collecting plunder for anyway?

Does he want to take out the Lizardmen? Does he want to go back to the Old World?

Are the Lizardmen and Dark Elves indifferent to a bunch of nautical undead between their lands.

I guess I'm trying to figure out how my Lustrian vampire lord would interact with Luthor.

My vampire knows what he wants. He wants to 1) steal back his heart that the LM sealed in a jar, 2) Drink the blood of a Slann to steal it's arcane power and 3) return to the Old World to avenge himself on the Lhamians who forced him into exile.
 

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
Joined
May 22, 2010
Messages
643
#2
To refer specifically to your vampire, he would need a ship to return to the Old World, would he not? If he could arrange an alliance with Harkon to help plunder the Lizardman settlement where his heart is sealed, and drink the blood of a Slann in the process, while Harkon and his pirates take all the riches they wish, then would that not be a solid narrative link?

I'm a bit dubious about a vampire suddenly gaining arcane power from just drinking the blood of a Slann. That seems a bit implausible to me.
 

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
Joined
Dec 29, 2010
Messages
2,262
#3
If i recall correctly, Luthor Harkon went to the now called Vampire Coast in the hopes of getting all sorts of mystical plunder, however he remains for primarily three reasons.

1) He has become very very unhinged

2) He's looking for a solution to the curse he got that turned him into an arcane null zone

3) He's carved out his own little empire and doesn't want to submit to anyone else
 
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
155
#4
Irisado said:
To refer specifically to your vampire, he would need a ship to return to the Old World, would he not? If he could arrange an alliance with Harkon to help plunder the Lizardman settlement where his heart is sealed, and drink the blood of a Slann in the process, while Harkon and his pirates take all the riches they wish, then would that not be a solid narrative link?

I'm a bit dubious about a vampire suddenly gaining arcane power from just drinking the blood of a Slann. That seems a bit implausible to me.
He doesn't want to return to the Old World until he could do it with overwhelming force. His Lhamian rival stole an artifact that lets her usurp control of skeletons (though Renliss figures there is a 50% chance the Tomb Kings will steal it back).

Renliss isn't sure he can gain arcane power from drinking a Slann's blood. He's exhanguinated about a dozen lesser wizards. Each time it boosts his magical abilities for about an hour and gives him four or five hours of memories that aren't his. According to his sire's legend, an elder mage of Hoeth once gave a Necharch heightened powers for a week. He figures a Slann would exceed that. He could still be wrong.

Lynks said:
If i recall correctly, Luthor Harkon went to the now called Vampire Coast in the hopes of getting all sorts of mystical plunder, however he remains for primarily three reasons.

1) He has become very very unhinged

2) He's looking for a solution to the curse he got that turned him into an arcane null zone

3) He's carved out his own little empire and doesn't want to submit to anyone else
Anything specific on how he's unhinged. If there is nothing official I think I might have him become a combination of power mad and lonely and convince himself that his mindless minions are being insubordinate and plotting against him.

Also, please define arcane null zone.
 

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
Joined
Dec 29, 2010
Messages
2,262
#5
He has a massive array of split personalities as a result of the curse.

basically, luthor harkon can't do any sort of magic and he suppresses the magic around him because his connection to the winds of magic was severed. he can still have minor command over his undead forces however
 

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
Joined
May 22, 2010
Messages
643
#6
Scalenex said:
Renliss isn't sure he can gain arcane power from drinking a Slann's blood. He's exhanguinated about a dozen lesser wizards. Each time it boosts his magical abilities for about an hour and gives him four or five hours of memories that aren't his. According to his sire's legend, an elder mage of Hoeth once gave a Necharch heightened powers for a week. He figures a Slann would exceed that. He could still be wrong.
I'd have to check about evidence from background material about vampires gaining magical abilities, even temporarily from feeding on wizards or other magic users. I don't recall having coming across this before in any of the material that I own (which isn't exhaustive admittedly). Have you seen this written down anywhere?
 
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
155
#7
Irisado said:
I'd have to check about evidence from background material about vampires gaining magical abilities, even temporarily from feeding on wizards or other magic users. I don't recall having coming across this before in any of the material that I own (which isn't exhaustive admittedly). Have you seen this written down anywhere?
It's not offiical, I made up in my the temporary magical boosts in my fluff piece. Count Renliss' Journey to Lustria

Lord Renliss has made a number of cameos in my numerous LM fluff pieces on Lustria-Online, and I am preparing to write a sequel that's mostly about Lord Renliss rather than a story that happens to have him now that one of his lieutenants is either the first Skink vampire or the first Skink Necromancer (haven't decided yet but I'm leaning towards vampire). I figured Renliss would try to co-opt Harkon's forces either diplomatically or by force.
 

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
Joined
May 22, 2010
Messages
643
#8
I didn't think that I'd come across it in any official sources. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. In that case, I would challenge it from the point of view of plausibility, but it's your fiction, so it's up to you :).
 

lord marcus

Vampire Count
True Blood
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
1,324
#9
I didn't think that I'd come across it in any official sources. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. In that case, I would challenge it from the point of view of plausibility, but it's your fiction, so it's up to you :).
A close parallel would be abbhorash to drink the blood of his emperor dragon. it had an effect.
 

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
Joined
Mar 7, 2013
Messages
598
#10
In the Nagash book it talks about him raiding Lustria for its wealth and stealing from the Lizardman temples. Not sure what he's doing with all his booty now though. His ships and fleet appear crude at best in the book.
 

Oppenheimer

Crypt Horror
Joined
May 26, 2013
Messages
556
#11
His cabin seemed richly appointed. But yeah, I don't know what his booty is for. Still, it's great to have him back. Hopefully he's written up and given a model in 9e.
 

Banat

Varghulf
Joined
Jul 13, 2014
Messages
791
#12
This is from a white dwarf issue so as far as that goes it's official. Pirates of the Vampire Coast army list

Luthor raids the Lustrian coast, stealing hyper valuable slann gold. On one such raid he came across a temple with an uber magic lock on it. Eventually he broke the lock but the curse/magic feedback from doing so severed his connection to the winds of magic, and completely fragmented his conciousness.

When he's sane enough his goal is to find a way of restoring himself.

His zombies can shoot because of special spells that he bound into them. This could also explain how they remain bound to him beyond his lack of magic.

TBH the list doesn't have as much fun/exciting rules as the Pirates of Sartosa fan list. I would like to make a combination of the two myself.
 

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
Joined
Mar 7, 2013
Messages
598
#13
This is from a white dwarf issue so as far as that goes it's official. Pirates of the Vampire Coast army list

Luthor raids the Lustrian coast, stealing hyper valuable slann gold. On one such raid he came across a temple with an uber magic lock on it. Eventually he broke the lock but the curse/magic feedback from doing so severed his connection to the winds of magic, and completely fragmented his conciousness.

When he's sane enough his goal is to find a way of restoring himself.

His zombies can shoot because of special spells that he bound into them. This could also explain how they remain bound to him beyond his lack of magic.

TBH the list doesn't have as much fun/exciting rules as the Pirates of Sartosa fan list. I would like to make a combination of the two myself.
+1

You might be able to find a bit more about this if you search google for the Sartosa White Dwarf list. It is around somewhere.
 
Top