• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Ust66

Zombie
Mar 21, 2016
Mpls, MN
I fell into an old box of Vargheists for cheap and am trying to figure out what to build of the 3 options, wasn't planning on getting this box until I saw the discount on it. My current army consists mostly of deathrattle units with a couple necromancers, hexwraiths, mannfred, neferata and a couple morghast archai. I think I am leaning towards Vargheists or Crypt Flayers. Anybody have a good reason to pick one over the other?

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Vargheists are a good fit with Mannfred, thematically. As units their relatively well balanced with each other, and their points costs under the new system are the same (160 per 3).

With their ability to inflict mortal wounds, albeit unreliably, flayers are ever-so-slightly more useful against enemy units with very good saves, particularly those not reduced by rend (bastilodon, spirit hosts, etc). Their scream is mostly negligible on its own, but if you play against low bravery enemies (humans, skaven, etc) AND you field other bravery-debuffing options like screaming skull catapults & the mournghul, then it may give flayers the edge there, as well.

In all other cases, including against most semi-elite units, vargheists will win out thanks to having damage 2 on their melee attacks.

A trio of vargheists is a reasonable addition to most undead forces if you just need something a little fast & hard hitting to top combats that are bogging down, or scoot down a flank to threaten rear units.

Reactions: Eyeless

Demian

Vampire Count
Oct 28, 2011
Agreed! Vargheists make for a better mash-up from all around Death units.

It seems like the Soulblight are the more "universal" masters of the undead (thus far) and can combine better with everyone else.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Don't forget that flayers benefit from a lot of synergy from Flesh Eater Courts. However, as you play a Deathrattle army I would suggest Vargs as well.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Yeah, if your army were more ghoul oriented, flayers would be the better choice, no question.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu