• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

What's going on in your life?

Redarmy27

True Blood
Hi all,

As we've all been painting and such, the staff and I thought it'd be fun to open a thread to just have you post what's been going on in your lives outside of the hobby aspect. Consider this to be a lot like a Facebook status update. Share away!

So, what's been going on/ what is new in your life?

Hey REdArmy27-great idea for Topic-helps folk to get to know each other a little more-BTW,absolutely love your Painting,it's HNL top level-My painting Mentor and best bud,Count Lasombra,and I have been adjusting to our new surroundings here in Denver,CO,and finally getting around to working on models again--altho i have a loooong way to go before i am a really good painter,the Count has been patient with me. Looking foward to putting my Skaven under his VC bus soon-so,what's everyone else doing,Eh?

Redarmy27

True Blood
Hahaha, ok....

Two weekends ago, I ran a crazy commando-style event called the Warrior Dash. It was awesome. Completely covered in mud and I loved every bit of it. Here's a pic:

Yet more importantly....

As some of you know, I've been dating a girl for quite a while now. She's beautiful and amazing to say the least. She'll be moving in with me as November comes so needless to say I'm pretty excited.

Here are pics of the miss:

(Yes, I took the pics myself. I'm a part-time photographer :D)

However, there's a bit I'm more excited about: we're getting engaged! We've talked about it so we're good to go, but I've been pretty secretive about getting stuff ready for the ring and such.

I have a good idea when I'm asking, not sure about telling anyone just yet. The ring should be ready to go here shortly!

So that's me. Anyone else?

Jake

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Great news xD She is also stunning as well - you're a lucky man :perv:

I have also fallen in love. I just can't stop stroking and feeling how smooth she is:

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxytab/10.1v/index.html

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Congrats jake

Anyways as many of your know I work to make kitty litter and other products. I recently had a great week at work. Got a raise, and a promotion to running the briquiteer which makes hole plug for use in off shore drilling. Before my promotion only one other person was quailified to run it and now I can too. So it was a great week.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Redarmy, you two look like you had an amazing time. Being covered in mud can be alot of fun.
For me, currently what you see on the forums pretty much is my life, unfortunatly. Trying to find work which is difficult for me (it really sucks being knocked back over and over again, often for stupid unfair reasons). Apart from that I just paint, watch movies and play games.
My goals at the moment are to get a job, learn to drive and to... well paint more warhammer minis. Hopefully by doing those things I will meet new people. Well at least the getting a job bit will.

Congratulations RedArmy on your coming engagement! Enjoy the ceremonial ending of your freedom :tongue: (just kidding, im sure marriage and all that is great)

Something I am curious about... anyone have cats? We have a cats, and they run the house. Absolutely adore my cat, and the kitten (the kitten only likes mum, the rest of us are scratching posts) But my cat has always been loyal to me, and me only. I have found that cats choose their people, and I recommend that everyone should have the joy of being enslaved by a feline overlord, it keeps you pretty honest with yourself.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Great news Santa, always good when you get a promotion at work, and I have no doubt you deserved it.

Sanai: I am sure you will get something soon, just remember to never give up! We do have cats, three in fact. One big black one called Cornelius, then two younger sisters called Mertyl (that's the missus), and one called Belle (my puddytat xD).

Very annoyingly, when the girl cats are in heat they stick bums up at me whenever I walk into the room, or roll around on the floor making very weird noises. True story. If only actual women did that.....xD

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
If only.
Our cats are never in heat, because we got them all sterilised (its better for the cats health, especially the female ones)

Our kitten, luna, is a real menace. If there is a box, washing basket, open drawer, suitcase or cupboard, she immediatly jumps in it. If mum is watching tv too much, luna will sit next to the TV to demand attention. If her litter needs changing, she will jump up and scratch mum. If she is bored, you will round a corner to be startled by a kitten leaping at you with claws extended. Also, you cannot open the door without her bolting to get out into the backyard (we keep her as an inside cat) then I have to run around the backyard trying to catch the damn kitten.
The older cat (hes around 10 or 11 now) is called crookshanks (I know, lame name) and he doesnt like people, kittens, dogs or anyone very much (except me) hes old, irritable and fat, and his back legs are kinda crooked making him walk funny, but hes awesome. He talks to me when he wants a pat and he hisses at mum whenever she tries to go near him.

Swissdictator

Vampire Count
True Blood
I'm working at a co-op (type of internship, but paid nicely) in the twin cities, so I've been gaming and painting with RedArmy27 lately, and it's been a lot of fun.

Been to two weddings this summer, which include some of my closest friends (one of the people who got married was a new forum member by the name of Skittles).

Still working on my new degree (I have a history BA), and this internship may delay my degree by a semester (it's a 7 month paid internship, but the experience is invaluable)... but, it really will help me get a job as a student, let alone when I graduate. I'm studying computer science.

I have been dating my girlfriend since February. She thinks Warhammer is kind of cool, likes the painting aspect. She really likes the Tomb Kings, and Dark Elves... though she likes VC too (she's reading the Von Carstein trilogy currently).

Still need to paint up some bats, and make another unit of undead Empire skeletons for my VC. Mostly work on Tomb Kings currently.

Also getting into Footbaal (American), looking forward to the Packers winning again. :) Born and raised in Wisconsin, so I'm loyal to the green and gold!

Well I have a stupid graduation thing on Wednesday followed my exam results the week after.
Fun.
And Redarmy congrats on the engagement but you were saying you werent sure if you were going to tell anyone. You just told carpe noctem. Who else is there to tell?

Von Calyptra

Black Knight
Quick background on me: I went to art school (School of the Museum of Fine Arts Boston) for painting, am a semi-professional fire performer in the Boston Circus Guild, have a day job sculpting teeth in a dental lab, and am behind on my rent.

In spite of swearing I would never do freelance illustration again, I ended up agreeing to paint the cover (and maybe provide some internal illustrations as well) for a zombie apocolypse role-playing game called Dystopia Rising. And then they advanced the deadline a month, and I don't think I can do it now. Which means I'm losing money on materials, in addition to the time I sunk into it already.

Tonight my partner and I just did a big show in a street faire here in Boston. The crowd was huge, the audience reaction was fantastic, everything was fantastic. And then it was over, my partner went home with her boyfriend, the people I met while I was there who were so amazed by what I do left, my friends in the guild had other commitments or were wiped out from a recent tour, so I went home alone and watched some Dr Who with a bottle of tequila. I thought about going out to the club, but I spent the day rehearsing and the night performing and I don't have the energy for it. I just want some company.

At least it's good tequila.

Got another show tomorrow, if the weather holds.

hairyjeff

Crypt Horror
Life is hectic! My oldest son is transferring from Oxford to Sussex university( he's doing medicine ) , my other son is training for his black belt in Soo Bahk Do ( Korean martial art ) which we all study, and I'm waiting to hear results of my own black belt test. Actually, the belts are Midnight Blue! I've just started a new factory job- been laid off from boat-building three times in two years, so time to change tack. my partner is looking for new work as a teacher of kids with learning/behavioural problems after the ******G government cut her funding AND she's into year two of a psychology degree- so guess who's doing most of the housework right now. On top of that,its nearly bonfire season in East sussex ( look up November the fifth in Lewes- if you can possibly get there, do- we shut the town and it goes nuts for a night). Oh, and rats are just as good as cats as pets. Now, I've just got time to undercoat the new Varghulf- minotaur body, demon wings, both 80's metal- then start digging up spuds for dinner. Hey ho, lifes good. To everyone with good news,CONGRATULATIONS. To everyone else, Illegitemi non Carborundum.
good luck, all. jeff

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Life is hectic here as well but at least things are looking up a little. Physically I'm finally recovering from my last surgery, next one will probably be in a year or so but if all goes as well as it goes now it might be the last one for a very long time!

I'm also busy working my tuchus off with portrait paintings and building websites. The first is for some much needed extra cash and the latter is volunteer work for foundations and organizations.
Right now I'm doing a family portrait for my Rabbi which is nerve-wracking as he expects a lot from me, I know I can do it but he's my mentor, spiritual advisor and confident so there is some pressure to deliver the very best I can.

As for paid work, I'm just not going to find any paid work with my ails soon. I'm too much of a risk for an employer but at least I'm not sitting around on my hindquarters doing nothing.
Hopefully somewhere next year after that other surgery I might be able to finally get a job, any job. Being an artist is something I can just forget as the government cut back on all aid for artists making it pretty much impossible. I don't mind going hungry for a month or so, did that plenty of times, but not being able to pay the rent and such oy no way.

You guys are making me jealous though with all your beautiful girlfriends!
I'm currently madly in love with someone but she'll never be interested in a crippled artist. Hopefully the very slow curve upwards in my life will continue and in ten years time or so someone might show actual interest. On the other hand, thinking back to my previous marriages I also see the good in being single...they were crazy and probably only "wanted" me because I was popular and making good money back then.
It's hard though suffering in silence like this but to be honest she doesn't need the crap in her life that I will bring into it.

Another thing I'm doing is taking care of my Great Dane, old lady soon to be ten. She's suffering from dementia and the one day she's like a puppy again and the other she hardly wants to get up. Keeping a close eye on her and as longs as she has her happy and playful days I'm okay with the extra care, to be fair without her I wouldn't even be here as she saved my life plenty of times just by being a big lapdog to me.:)

Yeah overall I'm doing much better and I'm a lot less depressed. Onwards!

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Good to see your are keeping positive Zephyr, it can be really easy sometimes to just sink into a pit of despair and wallow in it.

hairyjeff

Crypt Horror
Always bear in mind- however crap a day turns out, there is always one good moment, so look for that moment. I'm sure your Rabbi would tell you so, Zephyr. Keep looking up.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
As if my life wasn't busy enough (I have 3 kids under 5, for those you missed that), turns out that they and the rest of the kids at their babysitter/daycare centre ALL have lice. So, we've done about 25 loads of laundry, cleaned the whole house and done the lice treatment rituals a few times. (Thus why I've not been online much in the last 2 days)

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
That sounds like a charming addition to the stress of everyday life, Bishop. Good luck getting rid of them all. ;)

...and I'm talking about the lice, of course. xD

Anyway, my ambition of one day owning a full suit of fitted steel armour is about to make a leap forward as I wait for the shipping notice of the helmet that I ordered a couple of months back (an Italian-styled visored sallet, here's the wiki picture). I woke up today to find that the armourer has sent me a few pictures of it, saying that all that's left is to wait for the tempering process to be completed - and man, what a beauty it is. I'll just borrow DoN's reply from up above...

Formerly DoN said:
I have also fallen in love. I just can't stop imagining stroking and feeling how smooth she is:

Picture 1
Picture 2
I am going to make SO many posing pictures with the rest of my kit on when I get my hands on that helmet. It'll be amazing! :vampire2:

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
MasterSpark said:
That sounds like a charming addition to the stress of everyday life, Bishop. Good luck getting rid of them all. ;)

...and I'm talking about the lice, of course. xD
Ouch LOL you better be, poor kids.

Pretty cool you're getting a helmet MS. First piece of the armor I take it? IMO the helmet and the gauntlets are the most interesting pieces for some reason so I'd start with those too.

Today I'm cleaning house after a 40K extravaganza yesterday. Had a good time with my Iron Hands doing better than expected despite the really crappy list. Just wish my Thunderfire Cannon would do better; the darn thing really is a glass cannon but so far did it's damage in points before being blow sky high. I use the Techmarine to bolster a ruin and place it in there so it at least gets a cover save.

Tonight I have to start fasting but once Wednesday arrives I'm finally allowed to shave and cut my hair again for which I'm grateful as I look like a bum.

Oh and thanks Sanai & hairyjeff; I do try to see the good in the small things. Hard sometimes but if I survived this long another 31 years at least should be added.

As Swiss stated, I got married back in June - so far, so good, but after almost 8 years of dating, it wasn't that big of a step. Otherwise, just plugging along at my job ( I'm a software/systems developer for an insurance company ). My wife and I are gearing up for a week and a half trip out to the East Coast to go visit the in-laws.

I will also agree that cats are the true rulers of the household. Our cat, Kato, is the boss, and will let us know whenever he is displeased with us - he's a very vocal cat. The problem is, the rest of the time he is pulling all the cute kitty tricks known to man or beast, so its impossible to stay mad at him, even when he flips over paint bottles/tries to eat minis/attempts to strangle us during the night by sleeping on our faces...

Also, to all of you fellow members out in the UK - stay safe

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
I love how independent cats are. They make their own choices and they don't suck up blindly like dogs do.
Also, what on earth is going on over there in the UK? It sounds almost like one group is moving around stirring things up.
Anyways, I agree with skittles- those of you in the U.K, stay safe.... and dont get caught if your involved!

hairyjeff

Crypt Horror
Masterspark, loving that metallic feel. But if your going to fight in it, rather than just enjoy owning it, two things- you will dehydrate at an incredible rate( we had to drag people off the field after some battles), and your restricted vision will take a while to get used to. It's a beautiful object to own in its own right, so I hope you get a great deal of joy from it. Now start saving for the rest. What weaponry are you aiming for?

Malochai

Staff member
True Blood
Very slow going life here at the moment - just awaiting my GCSE results on the 25th, and then onto college on the 7th September. So, mainly it's just Warhammer, reading, occasionally cycling and watching films.

Thankfully where I am there are no riots, but it's really ridiculous. On the news yesterday there was a video of people queuing up to loot a shop :slap face: And the destruction is ridiculous, along with violence. Thankfully, there are good people out there who are giving up their time to cleaning up after the idiots who are rioting. BBM doesn't help, either, as all the messages are encrypted, and the police then can't access them. Even gangs are putting aside differences, encouraging everyone to go out and loot =\

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Zephyr said:
Pretty cool you're getting a helmet MS. First piece of the armor I take it? IMO the helmet and the gauntlets are the most interesting pieces for some reason so I'd start with those too.
The helmet will actually be my third piece. I already have the hands and feet covered, as well as all the undergarments for securing the armour. With the extremities covered I think I'll start eating my way towards the center, starting with arms, legs and neck and then finally the torso. That'll probably be a while, though -- it takes some time to save up enough money for every order since they want the payment up front. :innocent: Although I might start investing in some cheaper pieces just to fill the kit out, and then later replace them.

You're definitely right about the gauntlets, though -- both them and the sabatons (for the feet) are comprised of many segmented parts that can move on their own and in unison, allowing for a great range of motion. Truly ingenious work when you consider the tools they were using back then!

hairyjeff said:
Masterspark, loving that metallic feel. But if your going to fight in it, rather than just enjoy owning it, two things- you will dehydrate at an incredible rate( we had to drag people off the field after some battles), and your restricted vision will take a while to get used to. It's a beautiful object to own in its own right, so I hope you get a great deal of joy from it. Now start saving for the rest. What weaponry are you aiming for?
Thanks man, I'm already starting to grow accustomed to heat buildup and dehydration with the gear I'm using in the historical fencing group I'm studying with -- and I can only imagine that it'll get increasingly worse the more stuff I put on. I've always been able to handle heat pretty well though, so I'm sure it'll work out fine in the end. :)

My focus for future studies and practice would be on on-foot tournament combat. The group is mainly studying the german unarmoured longsword tradition (with some accompanying wrestling thrown in) and sword & buckler, but I hope to be able to add some polearm/staff fighting into the mix. Later on when the suit of armour is beginning to see completion I'll definitely want to start practicing armoured fencing too, with both daggers, swords, spears, poleaxes and wrestling. There is just so much to try out that it boggles the mind! :clown:

And, to stop speaking only about my own selfish interests, I'm also hoping that everyone here on CN that resides in the UK manage to stay safe during these disturbances.