• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

When 150 Zombies is not enough....

As the title, right now I have 150 Mantic Zombies. I am planning on buying Ol' Naggy, and some other new shiny precious things. However.... Do I need to get more Zombies? Been thinking that Nag could potentially raise A LOT (ballpark figure, technical term) in one turn.

So my question is, how many more should I get? I already have 40 ghouls and at least 80 skellies, in various units. I no longer play comp, so only friendly.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
100 to 120 zombies is a decent total in general, letting you run one big tar pit, one smaller bunker, and have zombies left over for raise and invocation, but if you plan to run an undeath caster you might want to go up to 150 or so to be able to drop an extra unit of 30 with command on the table out of nowhere, and if you run nagash you might want to push further to the 200 range, for the opportunity to drop that unit of 100 (or 96 plus command) on the table with a single spell.

That said, not only is that many zombies expensive, even in mantic, it's also time consuming and a little bit boring to look at, so you'll want to look into some decent unitfillers. Graveyard scenery bits and converted zombie ogres and giants are traditional, but for a Nagash themed army I'd recommend floating chunks of black pyramid crackling with green glowy necromantic power. That's what I'm hoping to do, but I'm not sure yet how how exactly I plan to pull it off.

I think the floating chunks would be cool, so, start making them. As for zombies, I have about 260 of them and, well, as you can imagine not really into painting them, yet. I haven't gotten to play with the End of Times stuff yet (had to move my business) but can't wait to give it a try.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I think the floating chunks would be cool, so, start making them.
Painting up just the models I have is first, and the goings been slow enough on that, especially with the end of the semester looming. Current plan is to push up to 2k or so points of regular stuff, then Nagash, then some more exotic units for nagash to summon, and then unit fillers. So it's going to be a while, before I get around to it - especially since I don't know what I'd use to do it? maybe hirst arts plaster stuff?

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
Ugh... I have like 60 zombros at the moment and none of them are painted. Let's just say I'm not looking forward to it.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I know that feeling. I recently spent two days worth of hobby time just applying texture paint to the bases of my 100ish zombies. Painting them, even with my extra-simple new color scheme, is going to take forever, and it's still less than half the zombies that I eventually want to own (I would like to have 240 or so, so that I could field two blocks of 50 in an army alongside Nagash, plus have 100 more to summon as a giant block, plus some more after that for invocations).

I'd strongly recommend regiment bases and unit fillers if you're going to do that many models. Zombies die in droves anyways.

With Nagash' casting bonus (and all the other bonuses you can get), you could probably get away with building more interesting models instead though. Blood knights, hex wraiths, vargheists, ushabti, warsphinxes, terrorigheists...you name it. Nagash can even summon a decent-sized unit of Grave Guard. Don't limit yourself to just zombies.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Oh, of course not. I just like the idea of plopping a huge, 10 x 10 unit of zombies on the table with a single spell, for the shock value if nothing else. And 100 zombies for a pair of 50 plod blockers on each flank of nagash seems like a good call regardless.

But yeah, unit fillers will eventually be in the works.