• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

When did this happen??

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Hi All

So i called into my local GW this afternoon for the first time in a month maybes two and I noticed that the price of a box of 10 grave guard had risen to £25.50 (UK) and my question is when the hell did they become so expensive?? as im sure last time i looked at them they were only around £20

Has this price rise happened recently or did it happen a while ago and i just havent noticed until now as it came as a bit of a shock

Thanks

I think the across-the-board price increase happened either really early this year or really late last year. I've been an active Independant Retailer in the US since June, but I've infrequent for the last 3 years, and I * think* it was in the winter.

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
They made the price of the Grave guard match the price of the other new specials a while ago, in my opinion it's a ridiculous price for something that used to cost £15 only 2-3 years ago.

There was also another price raise for everything around the time of finecast.

However it seems some prices are going down. (now!) :)

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Dream on mate, the sad thing is forge world uber expensive gear now I on par with GW prices.....
Not complaining as I love forge world but GW went nuts again... the new fine cast gear has not been so bad in price compared to the first wave but I shall only spend £300 this month at GW out of protest. :innocent:

Say what you like they are still awesome.

Heh, on a similar note I had been eying a box of the GG and didn't really have enough to spend on them my birthday rolls around, I get a 10$ GW Gift card, a while later I stop in and happily say I'm here to purchase those Grave Guard on the shelf there good sir, walk over and posted over the old price (25$) a new one saying $35 ..... I left without the GGuard and have had a grudge in my pocket since then... still have that gift card gathering dust.

MrD

Zombie
Yeah i was stoked to get some BloodKnights and 5 are a 100 bucks. i'm new to the game, and I have a very basic understanding of supply and demand, but Some of the prices are a major tun off for me, and I imagine they could make more by lowering the prices and more folks would get into the hobby. Then again what do I know, I'm just ranting.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Over here in australia, grave guard are $69, and blood knights are $165. If I can live with these prices, im sure you can all live with your fairly lower american/english prices.

Sanai said:
Over here in australia, grave guard are $69, and blood knights are $165. If I can live with these prices, im sure you can all live with your fairly lower american/english prices.
Not really. The prices are expensive in the UK, and very expensive in Australia. Two wrongs don't make a right! I don't bother complaining about prices any more, it's completely pointless, I just buy my toys from ebay or use different manufacturers. GW used to have the best (the only) figures in the business at reasonable prices. Things have changed, there is now more competition. GW now have decent but not always the best figures, at premium prices.

Their revenues fell last year. As that coincided with a big price increase, they must have experienced a large drop in the number of boxes sold. They probably think it's something to do with the recession and everything will recover. Somebody should tell them it's because their prices are just too high. I am happy to be one of those people, I tell them by not buying from them. :tongue:

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
I'm not saying two wrongs make a right, im saying that you should think that others are worse off and be greatful about your low prices.
Also, why complain about the prices? Just buy from bitz barn or ebay and get it at a tenth of the price.

Anubis

Wight King
Cost is also partly releated to in-game effectiveness too. GW knows you need to buy lots of skeletons for example because they're a core unit, so they're decently costed. (and VC skellies are awsome models!)

Grave guard on the other hand are a special unit, and hence are more limited, meaning you'll be buying fewer boxes of 'em for an army. (maybe 30 max)
So, GW charges comparitively more because they know they're going to sell less volume of GG compared to skellies, (or ghouls).

Don't forget that GW made the decision that they were not going to invest in building their user base. Instead they have focused on selling more to their existing customers. They made up for declining sales via price hikes. While the merits of this can be debated, it is arguably a very short sighted practice.

Cost is also partly releated to in-game effectiveness too. GW knows you need to buy lots of skeletons for example because they're a core unit, so they're decently costed. (and VC skellies are awesome models!)
This is painfully true, you can run down the price list for most armies and the troop/core choices and battalion boxes are almost always the most reasonably costed.

Anubis

Wight King
Management in any company is pretty damn incompitent and completely out to lunch on what it means to actually live in the 'real world'. My dad for example has worked for 5 different steel companies as an inside sales person - every single owner & upper management idiot has done everything imaginable to financially ruin their companies! He's been let go officially once due to down-sizing in '09, but mostly it's been one idiot buying out another bigger idiot!
Now his latest company is even more laughably inept than even GW!

GW is no differnet. The morons who make the decisions are book-worm wannabe's with uselss paper certificates who have zero experiance at actually selling & marketing their product to actual customers...

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
As mentioned above, there are many many other options than actually buying from GW. Ebay is a fav of mine, or there are plenty of cheaper sellers online.

Of course if you don't have to use GW models, then look at other companies, Mantic being a prime one that is much much cheaper.

Uziel

Vargheist
Mantic is great for regimants. Quite happy about the Zombies and Ghouls at least (as these are the only ones I have so far). even with a limited set of poses, they much better than the GW ones on the gaming table in my opinion.

I have seen some other cool models as well recently, some vampire models from gamezone, a lot of cool character models from Freebooter miniatures, not to mention Avatars of War, as well as some from Reaper. I think a lot of non-gw models have improved immensly since I last had a look (which I must admit has been a while). Nice to have such a wide range of new character models available, even though they can't be used in GW tournaments.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Mantic's good generally, but I'm not a fan of their revenant models. I'm glad I got the GW ones before they got stupid pricey. Mantic ghouls on the other hand - if I didn't play at an actual GW store you can bet I'd have a bunch of those by now. They're both better and cheaper then the hunched over GW models.

Uziel

Vargheist
Although I have seen all their models, I've only done so on their site, and due to small pictures with a low resulution I was initially sceptical. Very happy with what I got though (Ghouls and Zombies).
Not a big fan of the characters I've seen, and I can say that without having held one in my hand. That Vampire on the winged hellsteed wasn't all that great to name the one that first comes to mind.
Not saying I'm a big fan of a lot of the former GW vampire models either (there have been some stinkers), just to put a perspective on it.

While on the subject of models, I found some awsome dire wolves at gamezone a couple of days ago. While the current GW ones are ok, these were way better in my opinion. Also some really cool Von Carstein looking vampire Knights.

Aren

Crypt Horror
Yeah, Mantic is awesome, but recently their prices have been going up (slightly) their book is priced and the new armies are becomming a lot lke GW armies......all in all I think that 40 years on we will be sitting around a table (a lot of us old grandads) and remarking on how Mantic has become the new GW and how it was in the good ol' daysxD

Tim

Grave Guard
I wouldn't surprise me if there are some shareholder/stakeholders that have close ties to GW. The mantic guys are old GW peeps anyway. It all could be a grand scheme for taking the high end and the lower end of the market share...