• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

wind of undeath and magic resistance

Randar

Grave Guard
hello i recently casted wind of undeath on a dark elf army and they chose not to dispel it but then it hit morathi who has magic resistance 2 and then they used those 2 dice plus 1 of there regular dispel dice to dispel it on me. she said she didn't realize it was going to hit morathi and activated her MR so my question is can she then only use the 2 MR dice or can she decide to pick up a 3rd dispel pool dice to dispel it ?

i gave her this one since she didn't realize it would hit morathi and cause the 2 dispel dice to go off.

so my question is when does the MR dice come into play before my spell starts or as it hits the unit with magic resistance and can then they only use said dice to dispel it or can they use from the pool as well .

thanks again! ~ Randy

She can't use MR agaisnt wind of undeath since it doesn't actually target the unit in the frist place. She would have to use normal DD to dispel the spell when it is cast
I'm not sure about combining MR with pool bu pretty sure you can't.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
The short answer to this is a 'No', since the Wind of Undeath spell does not specifically state that it targets any individual enemy unit - it simply hits everything on the field. GW wrote a FAQ back in 2009 that had the rules for Magic Resistance changed to say that it only comes into effect against spells that specifically target the magically resistant unit, which the Wind of Undeath does not. You'll find that on the first page of the linked PDF.

Berkinator said:
I'm not sure about combining MR with pool bu pretty sure you can't.
the rulebook says you can combine MR with other wizards DD and other sources so you should be able to combine it with the pool

Randar

Grave Guard
so you can combine MR dice with pool dice ok and wind of undeath by passes MR ? is what i am getting here ?

midean

Vampire Count
True Blood
And one other little tip bit to remember is that lone characters count as units too. Caught a Woodelf that way once. He had some of his characters hiding in woods and such and I stripped a wound off all of them. Ticked him off to no end........:devil2: So even if they have MR, they don't get to use it.........

Randar

Grave Guard
nice to know i get to have a chance to blast them pesky solo heros with it too thanks!

Randar

Grave Guard
i tried arguing this wind of undeath based on linker errata wording of must be targeted at the unit in question but seems the FAQ wording is not good enough for my gaming group and by golly wind of undeath vs demons sucks lol so much MR :( wish they would be more clear on these dang rules! :mad2:
i said " my spell doesn't actually target any specific unit therefore no MR takes effect" they said if it hits a unit with MR then they get there MR dice.

:O:|:happy: SO should i email GW and tell them to make a wind of undeath FAQ ?

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Also check the Dark Elf FAQ, it spells it out even more clearly there. Really am getting tired of reading about peoples' gaming groups cheating their VC players like this.

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
Randar said:
SO should i email GW and tell them to make a wind of undeath FAQ ?
Show them the Errata concerning MR. It is no longer affected but targeted.

You need to be specifically targeted to gain the benefits of magic resistance

If that fails, tell them an entire warhammer forum is laughing at their inability to understand the meaning Errata. An Errata is NOT a FAQ. It is not a 'suggestion' but a hard change to the rules.
A quote which might be useful, taken from the official site of GW;
The Errata have the same level of 'authority' as the main rules, as they effectively modify the published material. They are 'hard' material. It is a good idea to read them and be aware of their existence, but luckily there are very few of them for each book.
Though if they persist, feel free to ignore the Erratas for VC. How does paying 1 point for spears for an entire unit of 30 skeletons? Or just 1 point to upgrade your GG unit to having great weapons. This approach is a last resort but it would quite aptly illustrate the measure of their douchebaggery.

Aegis

Varghulf
Repaying douchebaggery with douchebaggery never evens out.

If they argue you with you, crack your rulebook open to the magic section, and make them read the steps to casting a spell, then slap them silly for being a cheesy git.

There are six steps to cast magic,

1. Generate Power and Dispell Dice

2. Cast

3. Dispell

4. Spell Fails or Succeeds

5. Repeat 2-4

6. Dispell Spells in Play.

the first freaking sentence is , select a target, you don't select a target, end of discussion.

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
Aegis said:
Repaying douchebaggery with douchebaggery never evens out.
I wasn't suggesting he'd bring a list. Only point this out and show them they're wandering onto thin ice. Indeed, also show them that Errata isn't just a FAQ but an actual change to the rule book.

Randar

Grave Guard
i will try to argue if it does not specifically target a unit with MR then they do not get to use there MR dice to dispel it ^^:D

Aegis

Varghulf
there's no argument, its the rules, crack the book open and make them read it if they get uppity.