• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
So, I tried this unit out for the very first time last week and it went extremely well! With the large charge range, being a large target, and being able to charge key units (or position behind some trees to set up counter charges) I found the extra 175 pts for this winged nightmare well worth it.

I had a Blood Dragon vampire count mounted on it. The enemy was Empire and Lizardmen, and had 4 warmachines (it actually got hit indirectly with a cannon shot but survived).

However, I don't see them in anyone's army list; why not? WS4, S6 on the charge, 3 attacks I believe, and 4 wounds... it seems pretty good to me.

However I'd only use it with a blood dragon, on anything else it seems a waste.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
They're good, but with all large monsters you have to be able to use them well to get the most from them. Winged Nightmares are especially difficult to use because they don't have a good save like Dragons do, so one round of shooting from some Skinks could wipe it out.

3 attacks at WS4 is not good by any means, even at high strength. As you say, it's best on a Blood Dragon, but only if you can get round for flank/ rear charges or to charge units with less static CR. I've used Winged Nightmares a few times, but when I've used them in 2K games they haven't gone so well. One time I was tied up fighting a Spawn for several turns with my von Carstein- but then I do have exceptionally bad dice rolls. At 3K they're really fun to use because you can just whack them in and not have to worry about losing the entire game if you have a bad round of dice; one thing I like to do is put the Talon of Death on the Count as well- that way you have a good chance of taking off a rank bonus and killing any pesky Champions before the combat phase begins (Again, I nearly always roll badly and rarely kill anything with the Talon, but it should do well for most). A Lance, Talon of Death, Walking Death (+1CR) and then something small with the rest of the 25 points of magic items is a nice setup...

N.I.B

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 26, 2007
Mounted on a flying large target, I never leave home without the Wristbands of Black Gold. When mounted on a WN, the WN has almost a 50% death rate in games.

My favourite setup is a lvl 3 BD lord, Wristbands, Enchanted Shield, Strenght of Steel, Sword of Might and Heart Piercing.

2+/3+ save against missiles, 5 rerollable S7 magical attacks on the charge on just the lord. Pretty good.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
I didn't think the Winged Nightmare gets the protection of Wristbands of Black Gold. Books at home, so can't check, but I thought it said "wearer or bearer" something like that.

N.I.B

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 26, 2007
Yep, that's why the high death rate on the WN.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Yes, I would not use this unit to charge any kind of RnF unit; only soft units or hitting units in the flank that are already engaged (so I can obtain static CR). Against some armies I'm sure it wouldn't do that well. Against skink priests and a War Altar it worked great.

Skaramak von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 13, 2007
St Helier
The WN, being a large target, is also susceptible to magic missiles and other offensive spells, as well as artillery and missile weapons.

It can work well, but as mentionned above, it does need to be used carefully, or will prove a point sink.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Yes. It worked very well in this particular game. I had it out of harms way, out of range of artillery; it was a lot of fun to use. I'll definitely use it again in the future, and I prefer it over a dragon completely. The hero slot the dragon eats definitely isn't worth it.

rocdocta

Ghoul
Aug 22, 2007
i took the wristbands to a tournament. once. i had a carstein lord with the dragon. however, my matchups were (and i am not joking):

2 bretts with only cav
2 daemon lists
1 VC list
1 wood elf.

awesome. i wished i had my normal ward save!!

rocdocta

Ghoul
Aug 22, 2007
it was a shooty WE list. but i couldnt believe my luck in the draw with the other 5. i took the cursed book on the lord so that it was a kind of ward save. ie most hit him on a 6.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu