• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Wood elf Vampire Convent Blog

Sume

Skeleton
Greetings everyone it feels like ages since I posted here. Well I first came to this forum way back in 2012. Seeking help on making a vampire count themed wood elf army. Initial post and my thoughts are here: Wood Elf Vampire Count Theme - Carpe Noctem. Life has taken me away from when I wanted to start this project. Like losing my job, and then my apartment shortly afterwards. To finally getting a new job where I was appreciated and getting things back together. In that time I repainted my old Sisters of Battle army, and a Slaanesh demons army also. I also put down my kitty friend last October, which took me a long while to recover from. Then of course as everyone knows covid-19 happened.

Well I am finally getting to start this project. What I currently have on the way is the Green Dragon kit, with the 2 Wood Elf ladies, 29 Wild Riders, 20 shadow elf sword arms, and this model I found from Avatars of War that I plan to use as my head vampire. I also have a box of Glade Guard still on the sprue. Going to be getting a box of skeleton warriors in a week or two. Then will share my progress as I slow convert this army up. I did include a picture of the model that I am going to start with.

This is going to be most likely for 9th age. As the death of warhammer fantasy is sad. I really miss old warhammer fantasy and GW is in my opinion taking to long to do Warhammer legends.

Following model should be here by Monday at the latest. I am looking forward to seeing what I can do. I didnt notice at first that she is topless. Oh well, just going to go with it. I also thought if the mouth was showing teeth, maybe green stuff sculpt in some fangs. I am going to be using the Lamina bloodline, as its my favorite from the old lore back from 6th ed. I am still debating on a autumn or winter theme.

Autumn and Winter from the 6th ed book. My only concern with Winter is that the greys might blend to well into bones, As I want to make a lot more skeletons then ghouls and/or zombies.

Hi there!
I will follow your work as a fellow Dead elves player (Dark elves to me).
On my side I was looking for a grimish darkish style for my dead so I paint my bones close to black (a dark grey with a dark blue wash). With something similar the winter theme will be good. Maybe the bones in a dark grey/brown like Dryad bark from Citadel. It will suit the wood theme as well.

have found that for winter elf
Showcase: Wood Elves Glade Guard #1 - Tale of Painters
Too white to me but I love the fur stuff

Last edited:

Sume

Skeleton
Hi there!
I will follow your work as a fellow Dead elves player (Dark elves to me).
On my side I was looking for a grimish darkish style for my dead so I paint my bones close to black (a dark grey with a dark blue wash). With something similar the winter theme will be good. Maybe the bones in a dark grey/brown like Dryad bark from Citadel. It will suit the wood theme as well.

have found that for winter elf
Showcase: Wood Elves Glade Guard #1 - Tale of Painters
Too white to me but I love the fur stuff

Hey there. I have decided to go with a winter woodland theme. After a lot of google fu. I am actually surprised that there is not more out there. Guess that might been that the Wood Elf army was never that popular. I ended up finding my original copy of White Dwarf issue 309, was hiding on my bookshelf. Right after the new one I ordered came in.

I also did find the Green Twilight Dragon. So I decided why not. I am thinking of using the elves that come with it as banshees. I forgot that this model was all metal besides the wings. So I am unsure as of yet what I am going to do. The easiest thing for sure is I can tatter up the wings some, as they are plastic. I honestly after having enjoyed painting the original Sisters of Battle models. That I now loath painting metal models. I did learn a bunch about how to keep those Sisters from chipping though. Now that I have this dragon in my possession. It needs some cleaning up. Take care of the mold lines, and washed with soap. I will probably also need to do so some pinning. Really not sure how to "undead" this beauty up. Thinking mostly through my paint job. Maybe I can make some scratches in the belly scales. To make it look like it has was killed. Well I am going to need to hit up good old fee bay again I think. As I am going to need to pick up square bases. I used to have a bunch of spare ones. Which is no longer the case. I did find some chariot bases that where left over from when I built about 5k worth of Slaanesh demons.

I am also working on acquiring a lot of Glade Riders. Its a pretty jumbled mess. Should have 29 models. Forgive me if I use old Vampire Count terms. Tell I learn the 9th age renames. I am going to make some of these into Hexwraiths. Then the rest I think into Black Knights. Black Knights will be where most of the conversions come in. As these guys are supposed to be armored skeletons. Wood Elf horses dont have much in way of armor nor do the riders. As Hexwraiths, this will be way easier. I was going to sculpt some green stuff "ghostly tethers" onto the spears that you see on the current GW nigh haunt stuff. Then I am going to try to use the ethereal technical paint. Unsure if I do blue or green.

Things I am waiting on still is the foot model from the first post, the lot of glade riders, and shadow warrior sword arms. Then when I get paid again. I will pick up a box or two of skeleton warriors and see about a box or two more of glade guard. That should be enough to keep me busy for a month or so. Along side this project I am also working on a Tau Farsight enclave. The tau army was meant for an event in July, of course Covid-19 made sure that didnt happen. So I figured I should get that out of the way too, earlier the better. I am not the biggest fan of 40k, but I do like this event. Its a 4 person team event that is meant to be beer and pretzels. For my time, we wanted to do a theme of earth, water, air and fire. I picked fire.

Other things to work on is picking out a final color scheme. Thinking blue ethereal. Then greys, whites, browns, light blues some greens on the models. Vampires I am thinking a pale blue. I want to get a muted look. I will probably test some different looks out before coming to a idea I like best.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Nice to see some life on the forum. This is an interesting project! My Vampire army isn't Elves, but there are some models in it which might interest you - I used Dryads as Ghouls, for instance. Also there are a couple of interesting models from Warploque miniatures, a (sort of) Undead Unicorn and a Giant Stag, which I used.

Sume

Skeleton
Hi there Shadesypre. I agree there has not been a lot of movement on this forum here. I thought I share the topic here along with one on the 9th age group. Since I first mentioned it here. I checked that company out. I may end up picking up some of the models. Going to be looking for the eagles or alternatives for some eagles to be "undead bats." I do plan on making dryads into ghouls. Its looking like the eternal guard box will be my main go to though. For skeletons, wights and barrow guard.

Are you planning to field a army that uses VC rules, with modified WE models, right?
Not the inverse (WE that looks undeadish, but use WE rules)

Sume

Skeleton
Yes that is the plan. I am going to use the VC rules for this army. There are some things I will just end up getting vampire models for. Like the dire wolves and varguls.

Sume

Skeleton
I always really liked the idea that was presented in the white dwarf issue 309. Can't believe its been 15 years now for that one.

I thought it be cool to make a vampire army out of a different army. I may end up playing it as a wood elves army also. I always been found of the undead though.

About the dragon, I was wondering if a crackling technical paint would do a good death job on the skin. Kind of dead earth skin with the woody style of the dragon.

Other things to work on is picking out a final color scheme. Thinking blue ethereal. Then greys, whites, browns, light blues some greens on the models. Vampires I am thinking a pale blue. I want to get a muted look. I will probably test some different looks out before coming to a idea I like best.
I personally really like the WD winter scheme with the shadow grey (blue-ish) and the khaki. From that I would go for an other option for the ethereal colour. A red would be nice as it's match blue and green. It will give some warm to the cold colour scheme. I have done mine as Blood haunt and blue-ish colour, a lot of black (more dark elves vibes) and a bit of green. (I will post a blog maybe on the forum)

Sume

Skeleton
A quick update.

I wanted to provide an update. I get a few hours most nights to paint. So far I got the green body, mouth/tongue and bones all highlighted and done on my zombie dragon. I have the wings and green scales to finish highlighting. Then I am going to pick out the vines that are all over the body and going to paint the critters etheral looking. Figured that would do the trick. Then of course will work on the base after that.

I also managed to get what I was told was a mixed up lot of 29 glade riders. Turns out I managed to get 24 out of it. Will need to get some more calvary bases though. Still think thats a pretty respectable amount for what it was. It also came with some extra bits. Mainly I got 7 sword arms from it. I am going to take 20 of these and paint them up etheral to be my hexwraiths. I am going to take the extra ones and see about finding some mounted elf models or bits, and make a wight and a mounted vampire or two. Maybe a necromancer also.

On top of that. I also got 2 unopened boxes of hexwratith/black knights, and 2 boxes of skeletons. I also got 24 glade guard on sprue, along with 10 more that I need to stripe the very thick white primer off. Also going to see if I can get the arms off. If not thats not a problem, will be cutting into them also. Then finally I have one of the spellweaver models. This one is resin and has some paint on it. Which also needs to be stripped.