• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Worst Model Ever

With the Golden Bat going on, and the the talk about great paint jobs, models, and all things positive. I decided to make this thread to celebrate all the models that are either a pain to put together, or just an ugly model.

The first model that comes to mind in terms of being a pain to put together is the Bretonnian trebuchet. This metal model was a huge pain for me because there are many pieces that have to to be glued together at the same time, yet none of them seem to fit together properly. Also, the pieces are very small, and very difficult to pin the main pieces together. Overall the biggest headache I've had building models...and I still have a second one unbuilt. :slapface:

In terms of aesthetics, I don't like the Lizarmen BSB. As soon as I saw it, I knew I never wanted to use that model.

Not that impressed with most of the new monster kits. All the SOM kits except the cockatrice were pretty poor, with the biggest turkey being the chimera. The new terrorgheist is okay though.

Worst model ever for me would probably be Nagash. Unfortunately. :(

hairyjeff

Crypt Horror
Worst for building was the Dark Eldar lord with the stupidly large claw-hand. 3 pins at different angles before he stuck, and an old washer at the back of the base to stand up. Aesthetically, the clip-together 5-in-a-box skeletons. Ugly, boring, wrong size.....ok, I'll stop now.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Worse model for me has to be the mounted Wight King. This ancient sculpt has his sword joined to his helm, and the horse looks like a camel. Horrible horrible model:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1181990_99060207029_VCMountedWightMain_445x319.jpg

The worst thing I've built so far is the Warp Lightning Cannon, putting that damn arm on just right so it doesn't look weirdly unnaturally posed while trying to keep the engineer looking through the telescope and not have him angled on the back of his feet. It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of metal, but that one damn piece drove me crazy, when the new one came out I literally cursed the WLC out, showed it its replacement and stuck at the bottom of a box rarely to be seen again.

The Terrorgheist is a close second for me though, Citadel plastic glue is crap when trying to put it together, frustration, but slow progress, unlike the WLC where I had just that one piece holding me back from finishing the model.

As for worst model there are so many just terrible ones GW has put out, some "good" ones have already been mentioned. The old metal Skaven Clanrats comes to mind, look more like monkeys than rat-men, but then again everything looked a little screwy back there.

Bravo_10

Dark Lord of Eternal Sorrow
True Blood
In my opinion, the worst model I've ever seen is the GW Bat Swarm. It just looks so...pitiful. It's a really poor sculpt, and I think its only saving grace is that it's too terrible to really use in-game. Honorable mention goes to The Red Terror.

Bravo_10 said:
In my opinion, the worst model I've ever seen is the GW Bat Swarm. It just looks so...pitiful. It's a really poor sculpt, and I think its only saving grace is that it's too terrible to really use in-game. Honorable mention goes to The Red Terror.
I actually like the Red Terror model. xD

I don't really like Prince Apophas or Grail Reliquae. When I first saw the prince, I thought that I was a pile of poop that was moving. For the reliquae, I do not like the idea of a dead grail knight being carried around by a bunch of dirty peasants. ^_^

Zanos

Vampire Count
True Blood
Tie between Tau Vespid Stingwings and the lizardmen Cold ones. Not the riders, the actual cold ones. All I can think when I see their faces is HUUUURRR DURRRRRRRRR DERP DERP DERP

I'm going for the razorgor too, although he's a bit funny. Nominations go tov the newer chaos spawns and the chaos ogres (look like they were scupled for 5th or so...)

I've got nothing against Chaos though:lol:

Undead Teapot said:
The grail reliquae is an awesome model! I seriously considered building a Bretonnian army based on peasant rabble, fanatic followers of a dead grail Knight. I always thought that was one of GW's better "ideas" - it's actually based on historical fact of course. Medieval knights would often carry pieces of religious significance into battle.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Morghor isnt a slug creature, if you look closely he actually has normal legs and is standing atop some roots.
I love the grail reliquae.
For me, the worst model GW has done has got to be Nagash.

Fenrir

Skeleton
Sanai said:
Morghor isnt a slug creature, if you look closely he actually has normal legs and is standing atop some roots.
This. Morghur is actually a decent mini once he's painted up and you can see whats going on.

Worst GW current model is the Razorgor. Awful, awful model and they expect £15 for it!

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod460002a

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oh common, even the razorgor doesnt equal the level of fail of nagash....

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.games-workshop.com%2FMEDIA_CustomProductCatalog%2Fm1440485_99110207002_ColNagashMain_873x627.jpg&hash=b86c8a5e825d2899c4fbad0f347682bb

Fenrir

Skeleton
Sanai said:
Yes, but Nagash is about 16/17 years old and you would have expected GW to improve in that time. Instead, you end up with a Razorgor.

Same era produced Orion, which is another el crapolo model.

I still have Nagash indoors, and a decent paintjob adds a lot to the model. Still turd polishing though.

Yeah, Nagash looks kinda like Liberace, especially the way he's painted above. Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a large liche-like model by another company that would make a good Nagash?

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Being old doesn't mitigate the crapness of the Nagash Model, especially since the title is "Worst Model Ever"
If the title was "Worst Model in relation to era" then it would be a different story.

Bravo_10

Dark Lord of Eternal Sorrow
True Blood
Well, at least the staff made out of skulls is cool. :)

The um...cone-shaped hat made out of skulls though....yeah............

Definately concur that Nagash is one of the worst models ever produced by any supplier, let alone GW, but there are certainly others that warrent some scathing remarks. The "hunchback" chaos warriors from 10 years ago are definately not in keeping with the awesome look of the army now (the "new" chaos warriors are SWEET). Also if we can look at 40K models, the old Tyranid range, almost entirely was crap (especially the warriors with the long necks, look like dinosaur heads strapped to bugs). My all time worst, and most dissapointing model ever would have to be Ahpophas, given the general awesome-ness of the new TK models, Apophas seems like all the crap they had to avoid when sculping the entire new range concentrated in one ugly ass prince.

Bravo_10 said:
Well, at least the staff made out of skulls is cool. :)

The um...cone-shaped hat made out of skulls though....yeah............
Until you mentioned it, I had never noticed that the staff was made of skulls...was to busy looking away from that hat and face.

Fenrir said:
Sanai said:
Yes, but Nagash is about 16/17 years old and you would have expected GW to improve in that time. Instead, you end up with a Razorgor.

Same era produced Orion, which is another el crapolo model.

I still have Nagash indoors, and a decent paintjob adds a lot to the model. Still turd polishing though.
Nagash and Orion sucking ass has a lot to do with the fact that they were both sculpted by Gary Morley, who, in my opinion, was one of the worst sculptors ever to work for the Evil Empire, I have literally thrown some of his sculpts in the bin (and I didn't willingly buy them in the first place, they came as part of a collection I bought off someone who was fed up with gw),I couldn't even bring myself to use them for parts. Trish Morrison/Cardens new monsters for Storm of Overcomplication are also shameful, but then that's why there are so many up and coming miniatures companies starting to do really well, better sculpts at cheaper prices.
I've started collecting a lot of archive models from the 80's, and quite a few are DREADFUL, but I'm still a lot more fond of them than some of the recent gw releases, as they each have their own look and character, rather than the cookie cutter plastic regiments we're seeing more and more of, for example the latest "Chaos warriors"... chaos my arse, they all look the bloody same in a unit unless you hack the buggery out of them:mad2:

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
I like Trish's work, and the chaos warriors look really awesome and menacing.

i cast my vote for the old dark eldar special character asdrubeal vect.

- while i sortof like the model, its clearly jabba's slave barge complete with two leia slaves

- worst thing in the world to put together: there are tabs on most of the guys' feet, but this is pointless, but if that goes, then how the hell is it gonna stand up! (i ended up drilling alot of holes and using ALOT of filler)

-the thing barely stays up on its puny little plastic base (mine has broken many times, until i got angry and used a glue gun to make a giant blob of glue to hold it on there

-last but not least! the ravager has since been updated with no vect model on the horizon, so if you want to field him you get stuck with some old goofy looking ravager!!!

all in all it makes me go GARBLARGLE!!!