• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Wtf?

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
It has been replaced by Age of Sigmar, which is very different, but is worth giving a go if you feel so inclined. The rules are free after all. I was pleasantly surprised by my first game. Some rules are a bit strange, but it's a more streamlined game, which I find appealing. The narrative isn't very good at the moment though, so that's the downside to this game in my opinion.

Fantasy Battle still exists, as a group of gamers have created a ninth edition over at the Ninth Age forum. The rules there are all free too and there are quite a few people involved with that, so you have this option too. The narrative is still under development, but I would hope that it's going to be similar to that of the Old World, perhaps just moving the time line forwards.

A quick question (and a broad one) - is anyone aware of people around who still play 8th? I've been too busy in the last 12 months for virtually any hobby at all, but now I have some time and I actually quite liked 8th edition. I'm sure 9 is good, but 8 is what I (sort of) know and love...

Leithel

Grave Guard
In my group we decided we'd just keep playing 8th, but it didn't last long and that group plays 9th. I also play KoW with other guys.

In Sydney where I play there's pretty much no 8th at all, it's all KoW and some 9th with the occasional AoS. Massive shame to break up the community, but some great games to play out there at the moment with huge multi company model support.

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
There's an 8th game here and there in my neck of the woods. 9th/KoW never picked up, but it was a small Fantasy group to begin with.

And zero AoS.

Oppenheimer

Crypt Horror
I'm in Ontario Canada and AoS is very popular at our local GW store. There is also a large KoW following at another local game shop. I know of a couple people still holding on to 8e but it's mostly dead. There is no 9th Age that I'm aware of.

Dragonet

Wight King
There's love for 8th where I am, Kings Of War is also very popular, no 9th Age yet; I'd give it a go if I wasn't so busy with Infinity and Genestealer Cult!

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Playing 7th here with a group of friends. AoS is completely dead here, only my local GW store holds some games now and then which attracts the same five people over and over again.

Too bad 9th isn't as popular but there's a bit of a 'must be official' fetish going on here. KoW is played but not regularly; most find it to be lacking depth. Personally I think it is a good starting point and you could add depth yourself.

To be completely honest though; most just moved on to 40K and 30K has seen dramatic increase since the Betrayal at Calth box(yay I finally have opponents!). On the Fantasy side Frostgrave is extremely popular here and so are other smaller skirmish games. The days of big armies seem to be over...

Quinten

Grave Guard
I see lots of KoW at my meta. An occasional eighth game but the only ninth game I've played is by convincing a good friend to play with me. Just from looking online ninth seems more popular in europe as KoW seems more popular in NA.