• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

X-Wing Miniature Game

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
Hey guys!

So I've been checking out the new star wars X-Wing miniature game by Fantasy Flight. Has anyone here played it or know anything about it? I mean the little models are gorgeous and i've seen a few intro videos about it. It looks super fun but I'd like a bit more input from people I trust before diving into another hobby.

Raven Torrid

Black Knight
I haven't personally tried it but I watched it being played. At least 4 people in my gaming group has bought the game, and 7-8 have tried playing it. Everyone agrees that it's a very fun, dynamic game. High playability and good rules. Models are nice, and you can of course repaint them if you wish. :D You can also make nice custom boards using only sprays, bucket lids and paper. :)

They have completely sold out the first wave releases, and it took them some time to get back in production, but I'm looking now and some of them have been restocked (X-Wing, Tie Fighter). Seems that the starter should be restocked soon as well, on 31.12.

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
Oh nice! They have the starter set at my local store. So since they sold out so quick is it super popular? I saw that they're coming out with huge ships too (Tantive IV and the rebel transport). Are your friends playing with huge fleets or just the starter set?

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
I have seen it played, its a good little game, a little simple as not a hugenamount of tactics or models but good for a laugh.
personally I am not a massive fan only because I love the modeling aspect of the hobby but everything there is prebuilt a painted so not allot of hobby to do in my eyes.

Raven Torrid

Black Knight
Yup, the big ships are about to released as well. Seems those will be for a different format of the game, but I don't know much about that, so check this out: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4312

Everyone has at least one starter, there are a few Falcons, Slaves, Hawks, Lambdas, Bombers, B-Wings and additional X-Wings and Tie Fighters as well. They usually play 100pt games on 2x2 feet boards approximately. To give you a rough perspective on how many models one player uses for a game...I'd say 1 big + 3 to 4 smaller ships, or 5 to 7 smaller ships, depending on the side. For instance, Imperial players will usually have more ships than rebels, but theirs have no shields, so it compensates, etc. The game is very fluffy in terms of rules and play styles I'd say.

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
@DDM: Yeah, but you can always repaint them and make them your own! Like I want an X-Wing with shark teeth! I just want a cool board game that doesn't take 3 hours to play. I love warhammer, it's just a big endevour to get a game in, and I don't have that much time.

@RT: Man those things are cool! So It's not like I would need to spend like $300.00 on this game then! That's good news!

Raven Torrid

Black Knight
Yeah. One thing people do is buy starters together and split Imperials and Rebels between themselves (it's 1 X-Wing and 2 Tie Fighters per starter). Add a few additional ships to that and you're good to go! ;)