• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Cuzzy

Varghulf
Jan 7, 2011
the Netherlands
RE: Zenthial Lighting Tutorial

Tutorials by your hand sound awesome, but what is zenthail lighting?
I tried google translate but couldn´t find a translation.

untitled_musketeer

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 9, 2010
Huddersfield

Hey Cuzzy,

Zenithal lighting is essentially a light source directly above the mini. It gives a nice top lit look and can create some awesome shadows on the mini. The 'Eavy Metal Sanguinor is a good example of Zenithal lighting.

Hope that helps, I'm sure Jake's Tutorial will explain it loads better than my short answer though. Cheers for this Jake, I'm eager to see it!

Cuzzy

Varghulf
Jan 7, 2011
the Netherlands

Thanks U_T, I understand.
English not being my first language does not help understanding all these painting terms :lol:

Now that I know what it is I´m definately interested in this tutorial.

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota

Hahah thanks for the anticipation guys.

Apparently Youtube has kicked my ass overnight and didn't upload the large file. However, it's uploading once more so it should be up this evening in about three hours. It's a pretty large file so let's hope it goes.

Thanks for your patience!

Jake

Dogmar

Varghulf
Aug 3, 2010
Hmm interesting tutorial, is doing this really saving you a lot of time while still prividing good results as if you did it with a regular brush? I ask this because it looks interesting, but I'm tight on money and don't want to spend much on an airbrush. So how much do you really get out of it? I see the idea behind it but telling from the pictures there's still lots of work to do.

Kirgan

Grave Guard
May 5, 2010
Belgrade
Dogmar said:
Hmm interesting tutorial, is doing this really saving you a lot of time while still prividing good results as if you did it with a regular brush? I ask this because it looks interesting, but I'm tight on money and don't want to spend much on an airbrush. So how much do you really get out of it? I see the idea behind it but telling from the pictures there's still lots of work to do.
Agree :devil2:

Count Lasombra

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jul 10, 2010
Memphis
You can create very similar effects by selectively drybrushing your models before painting them,I do it to all my models;It can make for some nice easy highlights but the color value transition is not nearly as gradual.I've been doing this as a precursor to working up to the techniques RedArmy has described.

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Good feedback. The same results can be achieved with just using black then white primer. The method does save time in the long run by helping create shadows and highlights. From that point, you just add light washes and you get the finished product.

It's all personal preference though.

Jake

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu