• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Zombie bunker

Pardon my complete ignorance if this is a stupid question, but I've seen the term 'Zombie Bunker' used a number of times in the forum and was wondering exactly what one was??

I haven't played VCs since 6th ed, where Necromancers could run around as they liked without being targeted, providing they didn't stray too far from from friendly units of course! I'm guessing the bunker is a ploy to protect the Necromancer from the 7th ed targeting rules??

PS please don't belittle the newbie - just point me in the direction of the thread answering this question if it's already here and I've missed it!

( A fellow newbie here.. )

Anyway, I believe that is the cheapest and smallest possible amount of Zombies that are used to guard a character while he/she does his thing.

Though, I wonder if thats correct on the other hand..

Thrask

If that's the case, then wouldn't a 'ghoul bunker' work better as a Necromancer in a unit of skirmishers has 360 degree line of site and ghouls are harder to target with shooting and can hug terrain??

Or is the ability to replenish the unit you are cowering in (zombies) using Invocation of greater significance??

Well, Ghouls have the Scavengers rule, which makes them Skirmishers -and- doesn't allow characters from joining them.

On the second question I don't have an answer since I have yet to even play a game.

Thrask

In 7th ed characters are much more vulnerable. If not in a unit they can be shot down. The usual solution is to put characters out of sight or in units.

Our Necromancers are important to us because we need their spells to augment our army. Unfortunately, the spells are short range so we need the Necromancers close to the action but safe from attack in combat.

One solution to this is a couple of largish, but cheap, units of zombies that can survive almost any attack, with a unit behind them but closer than 1" away, with Necromancers in it. I use skeletons myself.

The Necromancers can see between the zombies and can cast spells which need no LoS but there is no space in front of the Necromancers and behind the zombies in front for the enemy to shoot or close-combat your necromancers.

Thanmar Thrask said:
Ghouls have the Scavengers rule, which makes them Skirmishers -and- doesn't allow characters from joining them.
Oh yeah. My bad :redface:

Thanks for the explanation, ArchMagos. Is this tactic pretty standard fare in 7th ed VC armies or are there viable alternatives?

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
The Zombie Bunker is pretty standard for a 7th edition VC list as it allows a significant amount of protection over being alone. The viable alternatives are creative use of other items such as the Cloak of Mist and Shadows (though not many people use these because of the amount of magical attacks out there these days).

There are other viable alternatives, but zombie bunker is the most efficient and effective.

Unlike so many other mages our Necromancers must be safe AND close to the action.

Other Alteratives include Necrarch Vampire army: needs no Necromancers.
Cloak of Mist and Shadows: need to move VERY carefully.
Deploy buildings in convenient places as terrain. Hide Necromancers in or behind them.
Job One: KILL ALL THE MAGE HUNTERS!

I got a newb question. So, if I have two necros could I put them on the same unit of skeles / zombies. I mean I know I can but do people generally put them separate?

If you are utilising the bunker tactic, most people generally will put two necros in the one bunker. The bunker is (I could say 'was' based on some of the rumours running around about characters not being able to join a unit of zombies in the new army book, but then MV would say that I was being 'negative' :tongue:) a great way of keeping your necros alive, so most take advantage of it and will have a couple of necros in the one bunker.

Just make sure that you keep a zombie/skellie in between them in the front line of the bunker. Nothing worse that miscasting on one necro, and then wounding or killing the other one because it was standing right next to it...

Ummmm Sphynx, what bunker tactic are you referring to?

The common bunker tactic that the majority of people use is just sitting a unit of zombies directly behind a large block unit in front of it, with barely an 1 inch between the units. When using the bunker, you're not after having LOS with your necros. The only spell you need to have LOS for is Gaze, all the other spells we have you don't require LOS, so the necros are fine bunkering down with Zombies behind the large block unit in front.

I've never heard of anyone trying to do a bunker using Dire Wolves.. I think you are misunderstanding the bunker tactic completely, but with all the Wolves that you have, maybe you just have them on the brain or something :tongue:

Hmmm, I guess that makes sense. I don't use wizards alot, but when I did, I think I was under the misconception then that alot more spells than just Gaze needed LoS. o.o You're right, without a need for LoS, hiding your Necro between units basically, is a better bunker.

Bit of a random question here, say i had a necromancer on his own could i "raise" a unit and form a bunker round him, or would i have to raise a unit then next turn move the necro into the unit?

Mercury said:
Thanmar Thrask said:
Ghouls have the Scavengers rule, which makes them Skirmishers -and- doesn't allow characters from joining them.
Oh yeah. My bad :redface:

Thanks for the explanation, ArchMagos. Is this tactic pretty standard fare in 7th ed VC armies or are there viable alternatives?
But, I tought a character could join the ghouls. Wasn't the rule: "Roughly man-sized characters on foot can join a unit of skirmishers. No other characters can join skirmishing units." (P.67 of the mini rulebook)
So, it should be okay ?

But, I tought a character could join the ghouls. Wasn't the rule: "Roughly man-sized characters on foot can join a unit of skirmishers. No other characters can join skirmishing units." (P.67 of the mini rulebook)
So, it should be okay ?
Ghouls have a special rule that says: "Ghouls fight in undisciplined packs /bla bla/ To represent this Ghouls are skirmishers and cannot be joined by characters.".