• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Zombie Dragon Lord

I was thinking about a good way to spend 700 points on a HQ (a lord on a dragon obviously) and wondered what you guys thought of this setup, which is basically an uber cc lord, that is decent at magic and has an alright save.

Vampire Lord
Zombie Dragon
Red Fury
Avatar of Death (giving him a save to speak of)
Beguile
Dreadlance
Crown of the Damned (I'm banking on his 10 Leadership to save him from stupidity)
Extra Magic Level

Also put him in a squad with The Drakenhof Banner

With this he has a 4+ save, a 4+ Ward save, and regeneration. He is decent at magic, and has 4 automatically hitting S7 hits, hopefully rerolling to wound. As most of these will wound, he then will get another (say 2) attacks, which adding the zombie dragons is 6 S7 and 5 S6 attacks. Plus everyone gets -1 to hit him and he has a breath attack. Any thoughts? Note he would be used in a 3000+ game.

Only problem is that since the dragon is a flyer it cannot join units and hence not benefit from the drakenhof banner. Other than that, he looks pretty solid! I run the crown of stupidity on my lord every game and sure, it sucks when he fails but he only does that like once every other game.

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
No you can't unfortunatly, bret hero's on pegasus can't even join pegasus knights.

I would drop the dread lance and avatar of death for Infinate hatred, Flayed hauberk and the Balefire spike. The Dragon would also gain hatred in this set up because if the rider has hatred so does the mount.

Annoying. In that case the Flayed Hauberk is a good idea. Final idea:

Vampire Lord
Zombie Dragon
Red Fury
Infinite Hatred
Beguile
Balefire Spile
Crown of the Damned
Flayed Hauberk
Extra Magic Level

2+ Save, 4+ Ward Save, 4 S5 attacks (S7 on a charge) and 5 S6 attacks, all rerolling to hit. Lvl 3 Wizard

Don't forget that infinite hatred lets you re-roll to hit rolls in EVERY round of combat! Oh its great to be a vampire with 10000 year of suppressed hatred just waiting to surface!:vampire2:

Fodderboy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Also don't forget that you only test for stupidity if you're not in combat, so after turn 2 or so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Am tempted.....am tempted....But need more greenstuff practice first!

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
:siren:

Sanai - that post in no way adds to this tactical discussion, and as such is classed as spam. I have also noticed a few similar posts, and like I said before, a joke here and there is fine, but most of your posts are not constructive and do not add the the topic.

If I see anymore posts of this nature I will have to issue a formal warning, as you have been asked numerous times to stop doing this.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Disciple of Nagash:siren:

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
I am sorry DoN, I was just saying that reading what has been said here about Zombie Dragons has made me rethink their usefulness.

I'm toying around with this idea for my 3500 pts list for a comparable match with Mannfred: Vampire Lord mounted on Zombie Dragon w/dreadlance, flayed hauberk, red fury, forbidden lore, lvl 3 upgrade.

I'm sry but I fail to find a rule why he wouldn't be able to join units, I know flying cavalry can't join units but I was under the impression monsters could, however it might well be that I'm mistaken.

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jnr said:
I'm sry but I fail to find a rule why he wouldn't be able to join units, I know flying cavalry can't join units but I was under the impression monsters could, however it might well be that I'm mistaken.
Check the Characters section, page 72, Joining & Leaving Units.

Codename Beta said:
Final idea:

Vampire Lord
Zombie Dragon
Red Fury
Infinite Hatred
Beguile
Balefire Spile
Crown of the Damned
Flayed Hauberk
Extra Magic Level

2+ Save, 4+ Ward Save, 4 S5 attacks (S7 on a charge) and 5 S6 attacks, all rerolling to hit. Lvl 3 Wizard
I'd make a couple of chances on that build. Yep, Red Furry and Hatred is good, they are fine. The Flayed Hauberg and the Crown are good ones, too.

I don't see Beguile essential for the Vampire Lord, I think it's too expensive and almost waste. I'd take Walking Death instead, just to be sure that you can win those enemy infantry boxes with lots of CR.

Balefire Spike, hmmm... I don't know. How about Sword of Might? It gives you always Str 6 and it's really good against big monsters with T6. You're not always going to kill enemy's big monsters in the first round of combat, so it's better to have always Str 6 than Str 7 in the first round and after that Str 5. SoM works against those hard (T4) enemy units, too. And, if you face High Elves with Star Dragon and/or Dragon Princess and you're carrying flaming weapon, you'd be in a big trouble. o_o

Ah yes, the Zombie Dragon Army killer. It's definitely an awesome set up and model that really attracted me to playing VC in the first place. Well actually it was a guy using it against my tomb kings, and after it ate three of my units including my heirophant...

The only problem with it being a massive sink for points, all the enemy has to do is try and tarpit it with gnoblars or something and your unit is tied up. Course thats the same for any large model I suppose.

I agree with sword of might, it's a win win situation giving you that extra strength at low points cost :)

I am for sure trying this guy out in my next battle. I was always afraid of the stupidity factor and avoided using the crown.... but everyone on here seems to say it hasn't been a problem so i figure its worth a shot. I really want someone who can stand up to Tyrion from the high elves. My buddy plays him and he has never died. I would like to be the first to take his ego down a notch or 5. Perhaps this Lord can handle it.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
To be honest I would doubt whether our Lord, even on a Zombie Dragon could handle Tyrion. He has loads of saves and hits bloody hard. Now if only GW would make rules for Abhorash (and support his fluff), then maybe we could show that HE ponce a lesson xD

Johnny B

Grave Guard
all the enemy has to do is try and tarpit it with gnoblars or something and your unit is tied up
There is no tarpitting this guy, trust me; at least not for mortals. Infinite Hatred and Red Fury plus the Dragon turns him into a machine.

I prefer Walking Death over Beguile, simply because he usually kills/wounds on 2s with the Balefire Spike and a lot of the time there isn't a second round of combat xD Beguile may be worth it if you take Sword of Might.

The other usual options to consider are Nightshroud (laugh at those HEs), Cursed Book (6s to hit him for 1 turn due to cloud of flies :lol:)) and Book of Arkhan (for the cheeky flank charge).

I've always killed Tyrion by running him down. He is not unbreakable, nor is he immune to pyschology. A Lord on a Dragon with Walking Death in a straight up fight will win almost every time and force him to roll insane courage. Tyrion only has 4 attacks and his horse 2. With cloud of flies the horse will need 5+ to hit. Tyrion will need 4+ to hit. Lets assume the General is smart and directs all attacks on to the soft squishy dragon. He'll probably on get 3 to 4 scoring hits between him and his horse. Lets assume Tyrion does 2 wounds and his horse does 1. Thats only 3 points towards combat resolution.

A Lord will Infinite Hatred and Red Fury with the Bale Fire Spike is most likely going to score atleast 6 wounds another 4 from the Dragon and thats being conservative. Tyrion won't get regeneration from the BaleFire Spike. So he'll get a modified armour save of -2 from the Lords strength 5 attack and his 4+ ward save. You should be able to score atleast 1 wound after all the saves from the lord and 1 more unsaved wound from the Dragon's attacks. giving you 2 points of combat resolution.

Tyrion loses combat by 1. You have outnumber,walking death and 2 wounds. Tyrion must pass an insane courage roll or is forced to flee.

Now obviously other factors can come into play like if he's in a unit of Knights and so on. But this example was just in a straight up fight where Tyrion got the charge off against our Lord on Dragon.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Well in that case I concede I may have been overestimating Tyrion xD I am just very wary about sending my general into such combats with characters tooled up to dish our hurt.

I would tool a ZD Lord to kill infantry:

+1 Level
Red Fury, Hate, +1 CR
Blood Drinker, 2+AS, Wristbands

You can pick your combats, so find squishy things and thump on them. Avoid anything that will modify your AS and you really don't need a ward in CC.

My opinion is that, if you need to kill something big and bad, hit it with zombies instead.

This, of course, is all up in the air with the new edition right around the corner.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
lordcypress said:
I've always killed Tyrion by running him down. He is not unbreakable, nor is he immune to pyschology.
How many times have you actually run into an opponent who runs Tyrion solo, and if so, have they really made this ridiculous mistake more than once vs you? I just want to make sure before I denounce such opponents as fools ;)

A Lord on a Dragon with Walking Death in a straight up fight will win almost every time and force him to roll insane courage. Tyrion only has 4 attacks and his horse 2. With cloud of flies the horse will need 5+ to hit. Tyrion will need 4+ to hit. Lets assume the General is smart and directs all attacks on to the soft squishy dragon. He'll probably on get 3 to 4 scoring hits between him and his horse. Lets assume Tyrion does 2 wounds and his horse does 1. Thats only 3 points towards combat resolution.

A Lord will Infinite Hatred and Red Fury with the Bale Fire Spike is most likely going to score atleast 6 wounds another 4 from the Dragon and thats being conservative. Tyrion won't get regeneration from the BaleFire Spike. So he'll get a modified armour save of -2 from the Lords strength 5 attack and his 4+ ward save. You should be able to score atleast 1 wound after all the saves from the lord and 1 more unsaved wound from the Dragon's attacks. giving you 2 points of combat resolution.

Tyrion loses combat by 1. You have outnumber,walking death and 2 wounds. Tyrion must pass an insane courage roll or is forced to flee.
Tyrion wears Dragon Armour that makes him immune to fire attacks, so discount all of the Lord's attacks for a start. So I'd advise the good old Sword of Might instead. That just leaves a 0(3)+ save, 4+ ward and regeneration to get through then. So in actuality a hateful Lord will most likely get 3 wounds, but Tyrion probably won't fail any of them. Similarly with the Dragon, so between them you might do 1 wound, if you're a bit lucky. Add Walking Death and outnumber and you still might win, all dependent on luck. In an actual game no-one using Tyrion is ever going to have him by himself however, making this entire discussion worthless, cheers ;)

Zombie Dragon should be flying around killing every other Elf in the army except Tyrion :)