• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Banat

Varghulf
Jul 13, 2014
My current Vamp army is at a good... "resting" point (i.e. with the exception of needing another 20 greatswords -> grave guard, I can stop buying models for it).

But I'm thinking as a kind of extension project I'd love to have a go at Zombie Pirates.

First of all, I'm referencing this article from White Dwarf: Army List

So I have several questions...

Luthor is the General, but he can't use magic.

Then the heroes are comparable to Wight Kings and Banshees... so where's the magic casting?

And what do you reckon needs updating from the list to work more consistently within Eight Edition.

@Infernal Skull cus you're in the article =P

I'm wondering if there's a possibility of taking the Pirates of Sartosa army list and modifying that as well to be undead (it has way more fun rules).

Last edited:

Caillum

Zombie
Oct 28, 2012
Australia
I've started the same army recently. The lack of magic was an interesting obstacle to overcome.

Luthor's magical void can be represented by a level 1 Vamp Lord, with Invocation or Raise Dead as his only spell. He can summon Zombies still, so this isn't lore-breaking. Give him the Black Periapt for a magic phase boost (which you can treat as some Lustrian relic he acquired).

You can also make his right hand Captain Drekla a level 2 Vamp hero, possibly with the Book of Arkhan. It's not perfect, but it's a few magic levels between them at least. :)

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
Mar 7, 2013
PA, USA
Very cool idea. I had also never seen that army list before so thanks for the link. I think it sounds great but working without magic could be a problem. Does Harkon make more extensive use of Necro's to make up for this? Banshees are a good fit for drowned spirits and stuff so I like that. The big problem is how to do the whole gun powder thing... Not sure on this one at the moment.

Infernal Skull

Wight King
Apr 21, 2012
The Slann Gold magic item can turn a Fleet Captain into a LV 1 wizard with Death Magic, so the list isn't entirely devoid of spells. And Luthor Harkon generates 4 dispel dice, which is huge. There's also an item that confers Magic Resistance (2). So I guess playing these is like playing Dwarfs. Dwarfs that can't fight in combat.

I think for updating to 8th Edition, at the very least, generating power & dispel dice with the WOM roll stays the same, then if you have a Slann Gold wizard, he channels as normal and, in your opponent's turn, Luthor generates 4 dispel dice in addition to what the WOM grant.

My initial reaction would be to swap out the common items for the 8th Ed BRB's item list, but the Vampire Coast army doesn't even get the entire list of Common 6th Ed items (including the dispel scroll), so It seems odd that they'd get the full range of 8th Ed BRB items.

Last edited:

Banat

Varghulf
Jul 13, 2014
I can't imagine the army being realisitically playable without at least 1 Invocation of nehek. You could probably get away with 1 lvl1 wizard taking Invocation, since the entire army is zombies and as such should benefit from the Newly Dead and 2d6 rules. At least smaller points values anyway.

Infernal Skull

Wight King
Apr 21, 2012
I can't imagine the army being realisitically playable without at least 1 Invocation of nehek. You could probably get away with 1 lvl1 wizard taking Invocation, since the entire army is zombies and as such should benefit from the Newly Dead and 2d6 rules. At least smaller points values anyway.

Technically, none of the army would benefit from The Newly Dead, because that's not an effect of the spell, it's a special rule on the Zombie unit in the 8th Ed VC book, and none of the Zombie Pirate units have that rule.

If you were updating the list to 8th Ed, maybe the Deckhands and Gunnery Mob should have it, but not everything. (Deck Droppers gaining extra wounds replenished and being brought above their starting size is a little much.) And you'd need to add a character that can use Lore of the Vampires.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu