• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Dreadgrass

Necromancer
Dec 20, 2009
Hi all,

Well, among the many projects bubbling away in the dark recesses of my mind, is a Beastman army.

As you may of guessed by the thread title though, this is no ordinary mass of unwashed goat-men. I'm planning an army based on Leotaurs (minotaurs with lion characteristice instead of bulls) and thought that, for my Ungor, it'd be cool to have zulu-like men, who (fluffwise) consider the Leotaurs as demigods.

The problem though, is making tribal men. If anyone has any ideas how to create Zulu warriors from GW bits, I could really use a hand. Alternately, if anyone knows of any miniature companies who do tribal/ zulu minis on a warhammer scale, that'd help a lot too.

The models in particular I'm after would be ranked ungor spearmen (so men with spears and those long cats-eye shaped shields) and Raiders (thinking warriors with "spear throwers") as well as a couple of Shamen...

Any suggestions/ tips/ help would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

Skeleton
Oct 30, 2009
Hull, England
Foundry do a range that might be what you are looking for.

http://www.thewarstore.com/foundty28mmdarkestaftrica.html

Old Glory Miniatures also have quite an extensive range, but the pics are pretty crappy.

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/products.asp?cat=243

Hope these help..

Dreadgrass

Necromancer
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks guys, those are a great help!

Probably looking at the plastics for conversions sake... theres mention in the comments of someone using them as Marauders so I presume they're close in scale!

I'm thinking though, that I want to be able to take my army to tourneys and thus, as 90% of tourneys around here are GW run/ sponsored I nned to incorporate some GW parts...Any suggestions? I could kitbash with Marauders maybe to get those bare legs/ feet but it seems a waste (and a lot of filing to get rid of the Marauder belts/ chains etc) to slice up such a nice set...

Would weapon swaps, accessories and blatantly converted GW banners, as well as having Leotaurs modeled (though heavily converted) on minos and copious use of the High Elf lions (as in the ones pulling the chariot) get me by do you think?

EDIT: also, definately gotta add me some of the tufty legwraps the zulu warriors are always pictured with!

Bug16

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 30, 2007
I would definitely check the scale of the figures with GW figures before buying.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
The conversions might get you buy, but I think it would be risky to be honest. It would still be obvious to anyone who knoes the GW range that quite a few of your models are not from it.

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
Mar 2, 2008
A place somewhere.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Games-Workshop's Mahud warriors (sorry I don't have a link at the moment) from the Lord of the Rings range. While the Lord of the Rings models tend to be smaller than Warhammer ones, I hear tell that these ones scale up excellently to other Warhammer miniatures.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu