Herein lie the rules for the Carpe Noctem
By registering and posting on CN, you have agreed to follow the below rules, so please make sure you are familiar with them. Most members have been around for many years and not had any problems. This is because they know the rules!
A Message To the New Members
Here on CN we are a very friendly and open bunch, more accepting of discussing mature and potentially sensitive subjects such as religion, politics etc. However, this is only because members are expected to post in a respectful and civil manner. We are very serious about keeping our forums relaxed, fun and troll-free, so please consider this before posting. Read the rules, use common sense, and always post in a respectful manner to other members.
Look around before posting! We highly recommend all members do this, either via browsing or the search function. Each forum pretty much makes it clear from its name and description what is acceptable in there or not. Be sure you have the appropriate forum before posting. If there is no forum dedicated to the topic you wish to discuss, use “Chatter of the Living” off-topic section.
Posts and Content
- Write in full English. Please avoid "text" spelling (such as "c" instead of "see"), slang etc so everyone can easily read the posts
- Posts must be respectful and civil. You are free to express your opinion as long as you are not aggressive or insulting
- Add Value. Posts should be on-topic and add value to the discussion. Please do not spam with posts that just say things like “cool”, “I agree” etc, please just like the post instead
- Check the date. For threads older than 6 months, check that the topic is still valid, so not a previous editions rumour thread for example. If it is still valid, you’re ok to post in it
- Make sarcasm and jokes clear. This can be easily misunderstood over the internet. Use the provided emojis or make it absolutely clear
- Don't use offensive terms. For example the N-word, or saying "gay" to mean something negative. There is some allowance for realistic use in written stories, but this will be checked
- Only link/post appropriate images. Any viewable attached images must be "safe for work". Other images which may be more adult or "not safe for work" (NSFW) should be linked with a warning. No pornography.
- No illegal or copyrighted material. This includes software, books scans and so on. Posters may not make requests or link to the external illegal material. When discussing rules (such as from Games Workshop) avoid posting full profiles
- Ask before advertising. Unless you are advertising Tournaments (which can be posted in “Contest of Arms) please ask an Administrator before posting or linking to other sites
- Deleting Threads. You can only delete your own thread if you haven’t received any replies
- Deleting Posts. Members should avoid deleting posts as it can ruin the flow of discussion for readers.
- Small and Italic. Sigs on CN are set to this as default to make them different to posts. Please do not try and change this
- Character Limits
- Freshly Risen Members: 500 characters
- Undead Members: 500 characters
- True Bloods and Staff: 800 characters
- Freshly Risen Members: No images
- Undead Members: 2 images
- True Bloods and Staff: 4 images
- Keep image sizes small. Signatures should not be distracting from the main posts. Please keep images in signatures small
Staff and Moderation
The team here at CN work to keep the forum’s fun and enjoyable, and are expected to follow the rules the same as everyone else. Please follow any directions issued by the CN staff.
If you do disagree or have problems with a member of staff:
- Do not harass, annoy or start an argument
- Privately message the member of staff in question, clearly explaining your position. The staff member must fairly review your message
- If you feel a Moderator is being unfair and not listening, please contact an Administrator
- If you feel an Administrator is being unfair, please contact an alternative Administrator You may question any mod or admin you like as long as you are not rude about it.
Stuff that annoys the Staff!
- Acting superior. We are after all playing with little toy soldiers. There is very little point acting superior just because you may know the rules better. This includes rude comments such as “Go read the rulebook”
- Backseat moderating. Please feel free to report any issues, however, please do not try and do the Staff’s job for them
- Arguing and splitting hairs. Please follow the above guidance if you disagree with a member of staff, don’t argue in the thread
We use the following warning system here on CN:
- First-time minor rule breaking / honest mistake etc: a gentle reminder from staff
- Repeated minor rule breaking, such as slightly aggressive posts, spam: 1 point
- Medium rule-breaking, such as multiple aggressive posts/spam: 2-3 points
- Serious rule-breaking, such as racism, very aggressive behaviour: 4-5 points
The number of points you have in total can result in the following:
- 1/2 - Reminder to the member, monitoring by staff
- 3 - Discussion with the member
- 4 - Temporary ban, period decided on case by case basis
- 5 - Permanent ban (decided by Administrator only)
We do understand that sometimes people have bad days, are going through emotional stress etc. In those cases when you post something you regret, please PM a mod if it is noticed before you can edit it. We do try and be understanding, and would much prefer to come to a mutual understanding rather than issue warnings.
If it is a temporary ban, then please try and learn from the experience and come back to CN. We do want you to enjoy the forum, but you have to understand, so do others. Banning is not something we like doing, nor do we take the action lightly.
If it is a permanent ban, then the only option is to appeal to an Administrator via the Contact Us link, explaining in a calm and civil manner why you should be allowed back in the forum. Any aggressive or insulting messages will certainly not get your ban lifted.
In all instances, the final decision rests with Disciple of Nagash (or in the case of extended leave his nominated representative), and his word is final.
- Harrassment.If somebody is harassing you on the forums then try discuss it with them over PM or email. If this does not work or is not possible then please PM a mod about it. Please do not post others' personal information (phone number, addresses, emails, etc.). Try to stay out of other peoples' personal lives as well. Keep in mind there's a good distinction between the Internet and real life.
- Accounts.Only one account per person.
- Content.We may remove or modify any Content submitted at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We may terminate your access to all or any part of the forum at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice. You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content
- Changes.These rules may be changed at any time without notice
- Catchall.Please do not try to cleverly circumvent some rules listed here. These rules are general guidelines and are very flexible. The staff takes a very dim view to members trying to find loopholes and cause trouble.
If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use the Service. Use of the Service constitutes acceptance of these terms. If you wish to close your account, please contact us.