• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
Sorry to hear it Yorga. I'd suggest asking for a legacy match a couple months down the line, give the nostalgia some time to set in, but I suppose some of the guys will enable rebasing onto rounds? You could try the Net and the games stores, see if there's a legacy community nearby? I've got to be honest, I'm really glad I don't have this problem...

Grok

Ghoul
Sep 8, 2014
Hey guys, I feel you, but could we maybe discuss warhammer (both old and new) somewhere else? Kings of War fans only have a sliver of this site, and since this thread was originally created to be about starting a "true" KoW army... seems weird to devolve into discussions of 8th ed, continuing on with that game, ect. plenty of other spots to do that ;).

On the note of KoW, has anyone seen the new zombie troll models? They look amazing!!!! Definitely will be adding some to my Undead army.

I have also been assembling my AByssal Dwarves a lot over the past few days. The plastic/resin is not great to work with, but reposing is fun! If you decide to trim the circular bases off the dwarves, I would suggested putting them in hot water first, otherwise legs may snap off too.

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
I heard nothing of zombie trolls! I must have a look, my plan to play Werewolves as Crypt Horrors might need to be altered slightly.

So how many special characters for Undead are there in Kings of War? Are they easy to get hold of?

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
Only two special characters for the undead :( Mhorgoth the Necromancer and Lady Ilona the Vampire. I think they're both available on their website, but like anything Mantic just feel free to use whatever models you want :)

Reactions: Dragonet and Grok

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
They are very nice looking models! Any more posing options, or are they largely fixed? I've seen a lot of zombie ogre conversions and these look far less time consuming.

Grok

Ghoul
Sep 8, 2014
I'm not certain on posing, I would guess those are the only poses available. Those alongside some reaper stuff for diversity would look great!

Reactions: Dragonet

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
I've got to revisit some of the older threads on alternate Crypt Horrors, there was another set with three solid poses that might work alongside these! They may have been metal or plastic, I'm unsure.

countulrich

Skeleton
Mar 3, 2014
I am starting (sort of) Mantic projects. With the death of WHFB, I acctually sold off my VC, Empire and alot of Chaos. I held on to my dwarves and a little bit of Chaos stuff. Now that I recently decided to ramp back up for Kings of War, my first step was to bring my dwarves in line because that was the easiest job. Added elementals to them (mostly KoW models), and some Brock Riders (with some conversion work). Then working on multibasing everything.

Now, I am coming back to my other great love though and starting my Undead project. I'll be using Mantic zombies and skellies for those bits. I'm using Mierce for some absolutely gorgeous Werewolf models. I'm using Warmahordes/PP for the Bane Thralls which will count as my Wights. Still debating/planning some of the rest of the army, but Mantic will get alot of money from me on this, and any GW models that I do maybe decide to use I will ebay to make sure that GW gets none of my money.

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
Good luck Count Ulrich, I'm of a similar mind regarding GW and got rid of my collection about a decade ago. I'll never do that again, no matter what happens!

I'll have to check out the Mierce Werewolves, any reason why you prefer them to the Mantic ones?

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
Ok the Mierce Werewolves look decent and a massive plus, they have a cloaked leader model! I've seen 5 poses as well so good diversity. Only question is how do they scale with the Mantic Werewolves or other large infantry?

countulrich

Skeleton
Mar 3, 2014
They are the right size. If you aren't familiar with Mierce, their models are amazing, I used several in my Chaos army, and I know a guy who ran a "ogre" army using a nunch of their stuff. They make the best models out there for my money. Also, beyond the 5 poses, if you search Maeganwolf they have another that could be a 6th, and if you search Hror they have one that could be the character with the armor upgrade.

Edit - To answer why I prefer them over Mantic, I really hate Mantic werewolves. They look nothing like a werewolf to me ... they look like a shirtless dude with a wolf head. The Mierce wws look like a ww should in my mind, and Mierce is a company I also love who produce brilliant, high quality minis.

Last edited:

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
They are the right size. If you aren't familiar with Mierce, their models are amazing, I used several in my Chaos army, and I know a guy who ran a "ogre" army using a nunch of their stuff. They make the best models out there for my money. Also, beyond the 5 poses, if you search Maeganwolf they have another that could be a 6th, and if you search Hror they have one that could be the character with the armor upgrade.

Edit - To answer why I prefer them over Mantic, I really hate Mantic werewolves. They look nothing like a werewolf to me ... they look like a shirtless dude with a wolf head. The Mierce wws look like a ww should in my mind, and Mierce is a company I also love who produce brilliant, high quality minis.

Have you seen better painted Mantic ones?

https://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/crypt-horror-alternatives.29526/#post-430720

countulrich

Skeleton
Mar 3, 2014
Yes, and that does alot to improve on them - one area Mantic lacks is their studio panters are poor. But those sculpts are still nowhere in the same slar system as the Mierce figs, and the Mierce ones will be cast better to boot.

Rosebud

Zombie
Jul 4, 2013
RE: Werewolves
Those Mierce werewolves are the best wolves sculpts I've ever seen. The prices of both mantic and mierce wolves accurately reflect the quality. I just ordered 9 mantic wolves mostly as they are close enough to the skinwolves I already have, and the arm joints look very poseable. Planning to have them climbing over garden of morr bits.

RE: Zombie trolls
I stared at the picture long enough to guess that the arms may be able to rotate up and down, given the apparent shape of the joints. I'd definitely get them if I hadn't sunk so much money/time into 16 crypt horrors.

RE: Wights
I'm impressed by the bane thralls. I'm still not used to wights being large infantry...

Draykorinee

Grave Guard
Sep 10, 2014
This is my Pink KoM army, I bought most of this for about £30 of ebay, seems people are desperate to ship their warhammer stuff :P

Heroes on Pegasus are great, really enjoy the look and they are pretty decent, I haven't used my flying wizardess yet but can imagine it will be fun, I would have liked the pegasus to have added some fighting ability though.

Archers are fairly dudd generally, they did stop a LEGION of ogres by causing 2 wounds which saved my entire knight regiment for a turn so for the points I can't complain, but I wish I'd gone with troops of arqubeusiers.

Siege weapons are big time hit and miss well played on their own, you really need 3-4 to even up the chances of actually hitting something, hitting on 4s meant I got 2 hits in 6 turns and probably didnt do their points cost, I am looking at getting some dwarfs to come and join my army for siege weaponary :P

Regiments of foot guard are a solid block, nothing fancy.

Knights are a beast and a regiment on the charge did some serious damage.

I havent used my 'War beast' (the cheapo gryffon).

A fun army to use.

xmpll4.jpg

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu