• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Keldane

Ghoul
Mar 1, 2010
Dread Pirate Roberts
The infamous Dread Pirate Roberts is known for cunning acts and a remarkable resiliency. Even when reportedly slain, he soon reappears with a song on his lips and a blade in his hand. Truthfully, however, it is not the same individual - it is another stepping forth to claim the title and continue the legacy.
This Infamous Alias is limited to Hero level characters. When the character is slain (all wounds lost), randomly select a unit champion in any Zombie Pirate unit on the board. Remove that champion and replace it with the defeated Hero, who is returned to the field with full wounds and any remaining magical items carried at the time of death. For the remainder of the battle, that unit's champion may not be reraised, and any passive statistical benefit the champion allotted their attached unit is lost.

The Ironclad
Known for his use of heavy iron plates bolted both to his ship and to its crew, The Ironclad strides into battle fearlessly, knowing the heavy metal will turn aside any blades that strike at him.
The bearer of this title wears Heavy Armor. In addition, all Zombie Pirate units in an army lead by The Ironclad have the option of taking Light Armor at +1 point per model.

Ghostmaker

Ghoul
Feb 17, 2010
Oslo
The Reaver of the Coasts
From the foggy waters comes the Reaver's ships, gliding ashore to dislodge his terrifying crewmen upon the unsuspecting ports and fishing-villages. His name is the Bogeyman the children of these shoreline settlements learn to fear and loath, and even the most hardened Longshoreman must look deep within himself to find the courage to stand against the Reaver.
The Character causes Terror. In addition, all enemies Hate the character.

One-eye
Some say he lost it in a wager with Tzeetch, others that it was ripped from his skull by the Great Kraken, The Father of all Storms himself. What is certain is that the remaining eye's stare contain malice enough for three!
The character suffers a permanent -1BS. Any unit engaged with the character has -1Ld.

Red Beard
Blood run in rivets down the cheeks of Red Beard, staining his facial hair in its telltale color all too identifying. With terrifying passion, he hacks and cleaves and gouges those who stand before him. Such is his bloodlust that those who stand at his side can do nothing but join in with the carnivorous slaughter.
The character and any unit he joins may re-roll failed rolls to wound at the first round of combat.

Black Beard
As the Black Beard strides aboard his ship, the crewmen jump to, rigging the sails and hauling the ropes with doubled vigor. His bare ominous aura is enough to strengthen the discipline of any slouching deck-hand.
The character confers a +1 bonus to Combat resolution.

Lord of Ravens

Vargheist
May 2, 2009
These sound really good. Im impressed people :thumb:

We have 6 si far. I think 10 would be a good round number, offering choice but not too much choice. If you know what I mean.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
Ahab the Vengeful
"From Hells heart I stab at thee, for hates sake, I spit my final breath at thee!"
This fierce pirate lost his leg to a terrible monster, and was forced to replace it with a wooden peg leg. Now he has become obsessed with taking the life of the one who took his leg from him. His crew are haunted at night by the tapping of his peg leg pacing the deck, and they worry that his desire for revenge will damn them all.

Choose an enemy monster (or monstrous mount) The character gains killing blow and hates that enemy. He must move towards that enemy if he has line of sight to it. He may re-roll to wound against that enemy. However, if he kills that enemy, it gets a free round of combat, complete with killing blow against him before it is removed.

The Black Bomber
Wearing filthy clothing, in the faded colours of nuln, and a big hat, this pirate is feared for his love of explosives. He terrorizes the coasts with cannon, grenade and bomb, Often hiding his explosive packages in interesting places, or hurling them maniacly at his enemies.
The character with this Alias may booby trap any unit of zombie pirates, or any terrain feature that is not in the enemy deployment zone at the start of the game. If he booby traps a unit of zombie pirates, roll a d3 whenever the unit loses a round of combat.
On a roll of 2 or 3, nothing happens. On a roll of 1, d3 str 2 hits are resolved against each unit in contact with the zombie pirate unit (including the zombie pirate unit itself) for each wound the combat was lost by. This doest not affect the combat resolution, as it happens after combat resolution is applied.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Sanai:

Ahab the Vengeful: Do you mean the Killing Blow works against monsters of any size?

The Black Bomber: What happens if you booby trap a terrain feature?

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
I am unfamiliar with the mechanics of killing blow, so I have no idea. Basically the idea is to make him a sacraficial monster slayer, one that will hunt the monster even at the expense of the generals plans.

With the black bomber, I suppose if you booby trap a terrain feature it does d6 str2 hits against the first unit to try and traverse or enter that terrain. The terrain feature is announced as being booby trapped and written down, but you dont have to reveal what you wrote down till the enemy has a unit traverse/enter that terrain feature.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Ok. welll in that case you would have to specifically state it works on models of any US, as currently it only works on models upto US2.

In regards to the booby trap, personally I think you should just stick with the trapping the unit and leave out the trapping terrain bit.

Keldane

Ghoul
Mar 1, 2010
Would it be better to change The Ironclad from automatic Heavy Armor to an innate 5+ save that can be combined with a shield? After all, the metal is bolted to his body; putting on Light Armor over top isn't going to make it weaker.

The Pious
Holding true to a religion only he truly understands, the Pious sails the seas seeking to convert those who do not follow his will, and burns friend and foe with equal vigor. He believes pain purifies the body, and fire purifies the soul.
One unit in the army may replace their basic hand weapons with Torches, which count as hand weapons with Flaming attacks. The character with this title adds Flaming to any weapon they carry, regardless of whether it is mundane or magical, and Hates all enemies.

The Unrelenting
Like something out of a nightmare, this individual just never gives up. Woe betide anyone challenged by him, as they may find themselves utterly decimated.
When fighting a challenge, resolve the entire challenge in a single round of combat. The winner may count up to seven excess wounds for the purpose of calculating the effect of Overkill in combat resolution.

Ossai

Skeleton
Mar 7, 2010
Highlands of Scotland
Disciple of Nagash said:
Ok. welll in that case you would have to specifically state it works on models of any US, as currently it only works on models upto US2.

Or make it so that he only has the killing blow rule against a "monster" or "monsterous mount" so that he only has it against say the hydra rather than its handlers, or the rat ogre...

uga bug

Black Knight
Jan 3, 2010
Lord of Ravens said:
We have 6 si far. I think 10 would be a good round number, offering choice but not too much choice. If you know what I mean.

Wouldn't having 10 be slightly too much choice? -i think this because 10 alias choices combined with the zombie champions that also bring changes to units, you'd have one hell of a lot of variation. While variation is good i dont think we want so much we confuse ourselves!

Keldane

Ghoul
Mar 1, 2010
Personally, I don't think it would be too much choice. Ten is a relatively small number, and if each option (champions and Aliases) can only be selected once in each army, then the hardest choice would be the first for each, after which it gets steadily easier as players pick out the ones that suit their style the best.

xaeromancer

Zombie
Apr 16, 2010
UK
Shouldn't these be part of the same points allowance as vampire powers?

If the Alias form a new category of powers, then the existing powers could be applied to the Siren and Zombie Captain in restricted form.

Sirens could take: Infamous Alias, The Arkayne and the Courtly.
Zombie Captains: Infamous Alias, The Martiale and... that one with the power that adds combat resolution, my book's upstairs and I forget.
Vampire Commodores could take anything with a Vampire Lord's budget.

I like:
The Iron Clad,
Red Beard (Red Hair for a Siren?)
Black Beard (as above...)
The Vengeful (Perhaps call this one Blue Beard, after the severed heads in that story?)
The One-Eyed.

I think Dread Pirate Roberts is a bit too similar to the background of the Von Carstein ring. The Black Bomber is also a bit gimmicky and I don't think The Pious or The Unrelenting are pirate themed enough.

Keldane

Ghoul
Mar 1, 2010
xaeromancer said:
Shouldn't these be part of the same points allowance as vampire powers?

Unless I've missed something along the way, Vampire Powers aren't available in a Zombie Pirates army; instead, they get Infamous Aliases.

xaeromancer said:
I think Dread Pirate Roberts is a bit too similar to the background of the Von Carstein ring.

Dread Pirate Roberts is based on the character of the same name as presented in the movie The Princess Bride. Concerning similarity to the Von Carstein ring, there are several differences:

- The Carstein ring works once; Dread Pirate Roberts works as many times as there are unit champions.
- The Carstein ring can only be taken by Lords; Dread Pirate Roberts can only be taken by Heroes.
- The Carstein ring allows you to select which unit your character returns in; Dread Pirate Roberts demands that you randomize it.
- The Carstein ring adds the resurrected model to a unit; Dread Pirate Roberts replaces an existing model and removes any bonuses that model provided.

xaeromancer

Zombie
Apr 16, 2010
UK
So vampire admirals can't take vampire powers? Doesn't that limit them a bit?

Also, another film reference might be pushing it, especially if the fish-men make the cut.

I didn't mention the mechanics (although they are similar and, I think, a little over-powered considering it replaces a 16pt champion with a hero and his magic items, over and over.) It's more that there is already a plot device that does something similar.

It's a thin line, creating a variant list. You want to make something different, but you also have to cleave to the previous list. Otherwise you end up with the poor old Tomb Kings and none of us want that!

uga bug

Black Knight
Jan 3, 2010
Keldane said:
The Ironclad
Known for his use of heavy iron plates bolted both to his ship and to its crew, The Ironclad strides into battle fearlessly, knowing the heavy metal will turn aside any blades that strike at him.
The bearer of this title wears Heavy Armor. In addition, all Zombie Pirate units in an army lead by The Ironclad have the option of taking Light Armor at +1 point per model.

Keldane said:
Would it be better to change The Ironclad from automatic Heavy Armor to an innate 5+ save that can be combined with a shield? After all, the metal is bolted to his body; putting on Light Armor over top isn't going to make it weaker.

I think it might also be more fitting to have a 5+ save rather than heavy armour. I'm not so sure about having the option of light armour for all zombie units though-maybe the light armour option for one unit? Or heavy armour option for one unit instead?

Well, I’ve started reading through this list, and since I had such fun on the Legion of Nagash, I’m going to offer my thoughts here. These are my opinions, talking others arguments and views into account, so feel free to ignore them if you want :tongue:

Dread Pirate Roberts
The infamous Dread Pirate Roberts is known for cunning acts and a remarkable resiliency. Even when reportedly slain, he soon reappears with a song on his lips and a blade in his hand. Truthfully, however, it is not the same individual - it is another stepping forth to claim the title and continue the legacy.
This Infamous Alias is limited to Hero level characters. When the character is slain (all wounds lost), randomly select a unit champion in any Zombie Pirate unit on the board. Remove that champion and replace it with the defeated Hero, who is returned to the field with full wounds and any remaining magical items carried at the time of death. For the remainder of the battle, that unit's champion may not be reraised, and any passive statistical benefit the champion allotted their attached unit is lost.

Isn’t this a bit OP. I mean having a character come back again and again and again, with full wounds and ALL magic items and goodies. He is invincible as long as theirs Pirates, which there will be. I think for this to be viable a couple of changes should be made:
1) Every time he comes back, it gets harder and harder eg. First time on a 2+, nest time 3+, then 4+ etc. – Stops a invinci-character of death munching anything the enemy can through at him.
2) When he comes back, he looses a randomly determined magic item. – makes it risky to loose him, even if he comes back, theirs no guarantee he’ll be as potent as he was before.

The Reaver of the Coasts
From the foggy waters come the Reaver's ships, gliding ashore to dislodge his terrifying crewmen upon the unsuspecting ports and fishing-villages. His name is the Bogeyman the children of these shoreline settlements learn to fear and loath, and even the most hardened Longshoreman must look deep within himself to find the courage to stand against the Reaver.
The Character causes Terror. In addition, all enemies Hate the character.

Fine by me.

One-eye
Some say he lost it in a wager with Tzeentch, others that it was ripped from his skull by the Great Kraken, the Father of all Storms himself. What is certain is that the remaining eye's stare contain malice enough for three!
The character suffers a permanent -1BS. Any unit engaged with the character has -1Ld.

Ok by me, but reducing BS seems a little petty. I mean, stopping a character hitting with a gun. He shouldn’t really be shooting, he should be in combat!

Red Beard
Blood run in rivets down the cheeks of Red Beard, staining his facial hair in its telltale colour all too identifying. With terrifying passion, he hacks and cleaves and gouges those who stand before him. Such is his bloodlust that those who stand at his side can do nothing but join in with the carnivorous slaughter.
The character and any unit he joins may re-roll failed rolls to wound at the first round of combat.

Fine by me.

Black Beard

As the Black Beard strides aboard his ship, the crewmen jump to, rigging the sails and hauling the ropes with doubled vigour. His bare ominous aura is enough to strengthen the discipline of any slouching deck-hand.
The character confers a +1 bonus to Combat resolution.

Fine by me.

Ahab the Vengeful
"From Hells heart I stab at thee, for hates sake, I spit my final breath at thee!"
This fierce pirate lost his leg to a terrible monster, and was forced to replace it with a wooden peg leg. Now he has become obsessed with taking the life of the one who took his leg from him. His crew are haunted at night by the tapping of his peg leg pacing the deck, and they worry that his desire for revenge will damn them all.

Choose an enemy monster (or monstrous mount). The character gains killing blow and hates that enemy. He must move towards that enemy if he has line of sight to it. He may re-roll to wound against that enemy. However, if he kills that enemy, it gets a free round of combat, complete with killing blow against him before it is removed.

Fine by me. As long as the rules are cleared up, he makes a good monster-hunter.

The Black Bomber

Wearing filthy clothing, in the faded colours of Nuln, and a big hat, this pirate is feared for his love of explosives. He terrorizes the coasts with cannon, grenade and bomb, often hiding his explosive packages in interesting places, or hurling them manically at his enemies.
The character with this Alias may booby trap any unit of zombie pirates, or any terrain feature that is not in the enemy deployment zone at the start of the game. If he booby traps a unit of zombie pirates, roll a d3 whenever the unit loses a round of combat.
On a roll of 2 or 3, nothing happens. On a roll of 1, d3 str 2 hits are resolved against each unit in contact with the zombie pirate unit (including the zombie pirate unit itself) for each wound the combat was lost by. This doest not affect the combat resolution, as it happens after combat resolution is applied.

Agreed with DoN, booby trapping units only I reckon. I think this guy is good. He adds an amusing side to the undead, and lets face it, who doesn’t like exploding zombies :tongue:

The Pious
Holding true to a religion only he truly understands, the Pious sails the seas seeking to convert those who do not follow his will, and burns friend and foe with equal vigour. He believes pain purifies the body, and fire purifies the soul.
One unit in the army may replace their basic hand weapons with Torches, which count as hand weapons with Flaming attacks. The character with this title adds Flaming to any weapon they carry, regardless of whether it is mundane or magical, and Hates all enemies.

The idea of a pious religious vampire just doesn’t ring true. Unbelievable if you ask me. However I like the rules, so instead of a pious nutter, how about a pyromaniac? All the benefits, and lots of burny fun :devil2:

The Unrelenting

Like something out of a nightmare, this individual just never gives up. Woe betide anyone challenged by him, as they may find themselves utterly decimated.
When fighting a challenge, resolve the entire challenge in a single round of combat. The winner may count up to seven excess wounds for the purpose of calculating the effect of Overkill in combat resolution.

So here, the characters keep fighting till one of them is dead. In one round? I can’t see any problems per se, but how does the enemy get to fight that quickly? The guy with the upgrade is unrelenting, not the enemy.

Edit: Ooops, missed the Ironclad out xD. Agreed with you here, 5+ auto-save, combined with shields and the like.

Keldane

Ghoul
Mar 1, 2010
Marcus Von Drac said:
Dread Pirate Roberts
Isn’t this a bit OP. I mean having a character come back again and again and again, with full wounds and ALL magic items and goodies. He is invincible as long as theirs Pirates, which there will be. I think for this to be viable a couple of changes should be made:
1) Every time he comes back, it gets harder and harder eg. First time on a 2+, nest time 3+, then 4+ etc. – Stops a invinci-character of death munching anything the enemy can through at him.
2) When he comes back, he looses a randomly determined magic item. – makes it risky to loose him, even if he comes back, theirs no guarantee he’ll be as potent as he was before.

Well, technically he's only invincible as long as there are unit champions remaining, and any champion he replaces is gone for good... :tongue:

I'm not keen on the idea of randomly losing magic items, but I do like the increased difficulty method of balancing the idea. I'll hold off on updating the description until a few other people have weighed in on the suggestion too.

Marcus Von Drac said:
The Pious
Holding true to a religion only he truly understands, the Pious sails the seas seeking to convert those who do not follow his will, and burns friend and foe with equal vigour. He believes pain purifies the body, and fire purifies the soul.

The idea of a pious religious vampire just doesn’t ring true. Unbelievable if you ask me. However I like the rules, so instead of a pious nutter, how about a pyromaniac? All the benefits, and lots of burny fun :devil2:

That's a good point - that said, it doesn't necessarily have to be a Vampire that's bearing the title (semantics, I know :tongue: ). The inspiration for this one actually comes from The Child Thief, by Brom - a wonderfully dark take on Peter Pan that I thoroughly recommend to anyone inclined to read it - in which one of the 'pirates' is, in fact, a fanatical reverend hell-bent on destroying those who do not express their faith as strongly as he does.

As an aside, I tried to write it so as to imply that it wasn't any sort of mainstream religion - it's not a character that worships Sigmar, for example; more like a worshipper of a deity they dreamed up themselves in a fit of hallucinogenic insanity while staring at a candle.

Anyway, back on topic, how would you recommend changing the title and background information to make it more fitting?

Marcus Von Drac said:
The Unrelenting
So here, the characters keep fighting till one of them is dead. In one round? I can’t see any problems per se, but how does the enemy get to fight that quickly? The guy with the upgrade is unrelenting, not the enemy.

I'm picturing it as a desperate attempt to defend themselves against an enemy that just does not stop attacking. Based on that, it would probably be more 'fluffy' if the enemy had cumulative penalties for each time both sides had used up all their attacks, and I'm not sure that would be fair. What do you think?

Keldane said:
As an aside, I tried to write it so as to imply that it wasn't any sort of mainstream religion - it's not a character that worships Sigmar, for example; more like a worshipper of a deity they dreamed up themselves in a fit of hallucinogenic insanity while staring at a candle.

Anyway, back on topic, how would you recommend changing the title and background information to make it more fitting?

The Pyromaniac
Fighting in the name of a deity dreamed up in a hallucinogenic trip, he burns foes with self righteous fury.

or

Obsessed by setting things alight, this deranged madman burns his foes with unmatched enthusiasm.

Keldane said:
Well, technically he's only invincible as long as there are unit champions remaining, and any champion he replaces is gone for good... :tongue:

Fair enough then.

Keldane said:
That's a good point - that said, it doesn't necessarily have to be a Vampire that's bearing the title (semantics, I know :tongue: ). The inspiration for this one actually comes from The Child Thief, by Brom - a wonderfully dark take on Peter Pan that I thoroughly recommend to anyone inclined to read it - in which one of the 'pirates' is, in fact, a fanatical reverend hell-bent on destroying those who do not express their faith as strongly as he does.

The Pyre
Whenever a sacked town sends smoke into the sky as it blazes, or people run from the flames racing through a ruined fort, this madman will be there. Rejoicing in the destruction he follows a wandering path, fires springing in his wake; a deranged lunatic intent only on causing the whole world to burn. Any who try to stop him will burn as well, caught up in a mad conflagration set by his crazed followers.

That’s my kind of idea. xD

Keldane said:
I'm picturing it as a desperate attempt to defend themselves against an enemy that just does not stop attacking. Based on that, it would probably be more 'fluffy' if the enemy had cumulative penalties for each time both sides had used up all their attacks, and I'm not sure that would be fair. What do you think?

Mmm, I can see that would be more ‘fluffy’ but as you say probably unfair. Perhaps instead of resolving it all at once he just has bonuses in challenges, say +1S and WS?
Or if you wanted to keep the whole one-round combat idea, then perhaps confer both a penalty and bonus to the enemy combatant – They have -1 to hit as they try to get past his whirlwind of attacks, but +1 to wound because he isn’t focussing on defence.

Thoughts?

Keldane

Ghoul
Mar 1, 2010
I like your take on The Pyre, Marcus. Definitely a lot closer to the pirate theme than my original suggestion.

On the topic of The Unrelenting, perhaps a cumulative bonus for each round that the challenge continues after the first? Say, +1A +1WS. That way, it doesn't really help you do nasty things to champions, but in an extended fight between lords, you have a chance of hitting that increased Overkill cap.

Well, I like writing fluff and have evil thoughts so thanks xD

And for the Unrelenting a cumulative bonus sounds like a nice idea. More, well more 'unrelenting' than doing it all in 1 turn :tongue:
Of course don't forget to add in the rules that the bonus only applies for the duration of the challenge, otherwise all hell will break loose xD

Althulus

Zombie
Oct 15, 2008
Los Angeles
Here's my take on these two: (these are two of my favorite Sanai, well done)

Ahab the Vengeful
"From Hells heart I stab at thee; for hates sake I spit my final breath at thee!"
This fierce pirate lost his leg to a terrible monster and was forced to replace it with a wooden peg leg. Now he has become obsessed with taking the life of the one who took his leg from him. The night air will forever be haunted by the ominous tapping of that peg leg pacing the ship's deck until that fateful day arrives when the great enemy is finally found. On that day, he (and his unfortunate crew) will face the consequences so great a vengeance bestows upon man, er...zombie, and beast.

Struggle of Epic Proportions
Nominate one enemy monster or monstrous beast before the beginning of the first turn of the game but after deployment; this can be a character. If within line of sight and able, this character and any unit he has joined must always move towards the nominated enemy. This character gains the Heroic Killing Blow special ability when engaged in close combat with the nominated enemy. In addition, such is his inconsolable rage that the character will Hate the nominated enemy (and anybody that's dumb enough to stand between he and his quarry) and will re-roll failed 'To Wound' rolls in close combat as long as the nominated enemy still lives. If the enemy creature is slain by this character and the character still lives, the creature will immediately perform one last round of attacks to be resolved against this character as normal.

The Black Bomber
Wearing filthy clothing in the faded colours of Nuln and a big hat, this pirate is feared for his love of explosives. He terrorizes the coasts with cannon, grenade and bomb and can often be found hiding his explosive packages in interesting places or hurling them maniacally at his enemies.

The character with this Alias may choose to booby trap any one unit of zombie pirates (secretly nominate a unit before the first turn but after deployment). If he booby traps a unit of zombie pirates, roll a D6 whenever that unit loses a round of combat. On a roll of 3+, nothing happens. On a roll of 1 or 2, D6 strength 4 hits for every rank of 5 or more zombie pirates (counted at the beginning of that close combat phase) are resolved against each unit in base contact and the booby trapped unit itself. Saves are taken as normal except Parry saves cannot be taken. In addition, once per game this character can throw a bomb at his foes. The bomb is a thrown weapon with a 6" range, has the Quick to Fire special rule and counts as a Flaming Attack. Each bomb will cause D6 strength 4 hits to be resolved as shooting. However, when you choose to do so, first roll a D6. On the result of a 1, the Black Bomber fell into a fit of mad laughter forgetting how short his bomb's fuses are; resolve the attack against his unit (or against himself if he is alone on foot).

@ Sanai: I also corrected any spelling and grammar errors that may have been in the original post :thumbsup:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu