• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

TheTrans

Ghoul
Jan 24, 2014
Hey guys,

Just trawled the ask.fm Josh Reynolds posts and there was a fair whack of cool stuff on Abhorash, folling will be a wall of text I just copied and basted the relevant bits of, enjoy.

Also anything in BOLD is the question being asked.

Abhorash arrives in Mousilion, having fought his way across Araby and Estalia with a handful of chosen followers. Ushoran and Abhorash repel numerous attacks on Mousilion, but even they can't hold it forever. The Strigoi propose to retreat into the ghoul-warrens beneath the city, and there take the fight to the skaven. Abhorash decides to take his warriors, as well as those vampire-knights who wish to follow him to break the siege of Parravon, in order to make good on his debt to Gilles.

Bastonne is the next to fall (http://ask.fm/JoshMReynolds/answer/126378811103) as the Beastslayer rallies his folk and retreats to the Grey Mountains.

The Siege of Parravon lasts for several weeks (http://ask.fm/JoshMReynolds/answer/126273635807) and the only respite comes when the dead ride out from Mousilion, leaving it for the skaven and Chaos to fight over. Led by Abhorash, the dead break the Chaos lines. Abhorash kills Styrkaar, Sigvald's second in command (http://ask.fm/JoshMReynolds/answer/126360000223), allowing Gilles and his remaining knights to lead those they can into the mountains and La Maisontaal Abbey...

To the last question about Abhorash, I thought I was right, but apparently it was in a short-story somewhere, possibly a side mag to White Dwarf? I dunno. I just hoped you might of known. Nope. There was no short story--here's all of the ET stuff BL produced: http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer/warhammer-the-end-times. And I haven't heard about anything in White Dwarf. Usually they mention it when they snaffle one of my ideas. 7 days ago

I read this on a website "As the disheartened Bretonnians depart, Breton himself stands with Vlad von Carstein and Abhorash alongside the bulk of their Bloodlines for the final battle against Chaos. Vlad reveals he really is Vashanesh, Neferata's husband" where is this written? I don't remeber it. That's...not quite right.

In the novel, 'Lord of the End Times', as the Bretonnians are leaving Athel Loren, Vlad stops them and tells Duke Jerrod of a monastery in the Grey Mountains, where Gilles Le Breton and Abhorash are fighting side-by-side against Chaos. Vlad sends the Red Duke (and two von Carsteins, to keep the Red Duke from going nuts) to guide the Bretonnians to the monastery, so that they can join their king before the end. As they're leaving Vlad asks Jerrod to 'tell Abhorash he was right.'

Do Giles and Abhorash manage to hold back the Skaven until the world ends, or do they go down with the Citadel before hand?

I believe they did, yes. I doubt anything got past them, until the world came apart beneath them. Abhorash was with Gilles in the end, at La Maisontaal Abbey, and as for what Vlad meant...that's a reference to a book that will never be written, so I think I'll keep it to myself.

I am trying to gauge Abhorash's power so lets say we put him in a series of matches vs other famous duelists -Vlad,Skulltaker, Grimgor, Tyrion, Gotrek Gurnison, Ka'Bhanda, Sigmar -how many of those would he beat 1 vs 1? Is he powerful enough to beat magic users like Teclis, Nagash, Maleketh ect?

First, bear in mind, that Abhorash is the greatest warrior the world has ever seen. He's the figurative embodiment of war itself. He's a guy who has done nothing but fight for over a thousand years. No rest, no sleep, no taking a holiday. Just war. He's as close to a two-legged engine of destruction as the Old World gets.

Too, a fight scene depends on context just as much as any other narrative device. There's no such thing as a fight in a vacuum, unless you're writing science-fiction. All of these fights depend on location, whether the combatants have had to fight through armies of mooks, the stakes, etc. F'r instance, if it's a G&F novel the fight happens in, Gotrek wins.

Vlad would know better than to fight him. And if he did, he'd wake up later, after his ring has resurrected him and wonder why he'd done it.

Abhorash would beat Grimgor handily, once he figured out how to put him down for keeps. Grimgor, Incarnate of Beasts would be tougher, but Archaon did it, and Abhorash is better than Archaon so...yeah. There is no way, short of Gork himself showing up, that Grimgor wins.

Gotrek would be more of the same...he's not unbeatable, he's just really hard to keep down. Abhorash would win that one, but he'd know he'd been in a fight. The only way I can see the fight going to Gotrek involves him having both of Grimnir's axes and a power-up...then Gotrek wins. Or it's in a G&F book, as I said, then Gotrek wins after a forty-page fight scene.

Tyrion could hold his own. It'd be a stalemate, until one or the other lost their temper and then it's anybody's guess, with an edge to Abhorash, due to the whole vampire thing.

Sigmar...is tricky. Is it Sigmar Ascended, or just Emperor Sigmar? If it's the former, Abhorash loses, eventually. If its the latter, Abhorash...might still lose. We don't know how his duel with Gilles turned out, after all, way back when. If Gilles could have beaten him, then Sigmar might have been able to do so as well. At best, though, I think it's a grueling stalemate.

Ka' Bhanda and Skulltaker pose similar quandaries...Abhorash is the figurative embodiment of war, but they're literally shards of the god of war and slaughter. In a clench, I'd say Abhorash trucks Skulltaker. He'd also splat a regular bloodthirster, if it came to that. But Ka'Bhanda is something else. It took ALL of the Incarnates to wear him down. That one would be a squeaker I think. It could go either way, with an edge to Ka'Bhanda.

Magic users, well, if they ganged up on him, yeah. One on one, Nagash wins. He knows how to unmake vampires, though I'm betting Abhorash would leave a few scars. Teclis and Malekith, much like Tyrion depends on who keeps their head. Abhorash isn't as cunning as Malekith or as smart as Teclis, but then, he doesn't need to be. If he gets close, they lose. If they can keep him guessing, and at a distance, then they win.

W'orsan was dead from your earlier posts, Abhorash was with Giles, Vlad is Carstein founder, Neferata was in Sylvannia but where and what was Ushoran doing? Also you are awesome for taking the time to be the unofficial source of lore for subjects GW seemingly forgot to mention in the ABs.

Glad you're enjoying them. Ushoran...is a tough case. It depends on whether you think he's actually alive or not. If he died during the fall of Mourkain, then the question is moot. If he's alive then I think he would have sought out somewhere isolated, where he could rally his folk without interference from either Nagash or the skaven. Sylvania and the ruins of Mourkain are right out.

So Ushoran goes to Mousillon. The ghoul-tribes which lurk beneath the city rise up at his call, and the debased knights who rule there join him in return for the Dark Kiss. The Strygany migrate west, over the Grey Mountains, and with them come the survivors of lost Strigos, including Gashnag, the infamous Black Prince. A new kingdom, smaller than Strigos, rises, even as Bretonnia crumbles beneath the assaullts of Chaos. Ushoran, eager to protect his new kingdom, sends word to King Gilles, via his old ally, Abhorash, proposing an alliance, even as the armies of skaven sweep north from Estalia, and the forces of Sigvald the Magnificent invade Parravon...

Man. Now I want to write that book.

If Drachenfels, with memory, personality and powers fully intact, was part of the mortarchs rather than a pale shadow of him how do you think Nagash's fortunes and the End Times in general would have played out? Anything different? Would drach even at full power be strong enough to take on Nagash? Why would Drachenfels at full power deign to be a Mortarch? I think he could and would go after Nagash, though probably not in a head to head contest.

Honestly, I think it would play out like a slightly longer 'Zacharias the Everliving Moment', i.e. Drachenfels tells Nagash to go take a leap, and then Nagash spends the next few weeks turning Castle Drachenfels into a quarry. It would be an epic fight, but Nagash would win. Both of them occupy the same 'Big Bad' space in the Old World, so it would have been a fight for the ages, but Nagash has destiny on his side, as well as a willingness to get his hands dirty. Drachenfels likes to play games; Nagash likes to win.

Btw, in this reality? Zacharias (who is Melchior, who is W'soran) totally joins Nagash, alongside Abhorash and Ushoran, thus getting the band back together. Also? Khalida becomes a Mortarch after the Doomlord goes all Cerberus-lite on the underworld.

Wouldn't that have been awesome? Can you imagine the stories? I can.

The bigger question is: would Drachenfels still be kicking around *after* Nagash topples his citadel? To which I say, probably, in one form or another. Heck, in this alternate story, it was probably him rather than Mannfred who turned on the good guys and sent the world to hell, just for spite's sake. 'I saw it born, and I'll see it die,' etc.

I loved what you did with the Vampires in the Blood of Nagash novels, especially Neferta, Nahmia etc and was sadened to hear that would not be a 3rd book in the series - is that true? Also there were many intriguing hints of what was between Abhorash and Myrmidian- will this story ever be told?

Unfortunately, that is true. And probably not, no. I *might* have developed it more in that third book, but I probably would have left it as more a mystery than anything else. Just bits and pieces scattered through the flashbacks that opened each chapter.

Do you get to kill off famous old characters in your book like Brunner, the Blackhearts, and Mathias Thulman? Do we get the chance to find out what happens to the missing head vampires from your Time of Legends series such as Khaled, Ushoran, Abhorash and Worsan that haven't appeared in ET so far?

All of them, yes, but only a few of them 'on-screen', as it were. There simply wasn't room to touch base with all of the old favorites, though I did my best. Brunner is in there, as is Badenov's band. I was going to include Thulman and the Blackhearts in the Battle of Averheim novella I was scheduled to write, which, for various reasons, didn't happen.

As far as the vampires you mentioned, well, one of them has been around since the beginning of the ET, if you go by my fanon. W'soran is mentioned--twice, in fact, depending on how you took the ending to Master of Death. Ushoran is Sir-Not-Appearing-in-this-Book, unfortunately. And Abhorash...well, he's mentioned. Where Abhorash stands, some part of the world yet remains.

That's all I'll say about that.

Hope you fellas enjoyed.

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
Zacharias is Melkhior is Wsoran, the band back together. That's the hottest ish I've ever heard. If I were a middle schooler, dat fanfic flood.

El Syf

Vargheist
Dec 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Shame that Blood Dragon will never see the light of day now really :(
Interesting to see how powerful Reynolds places Abhorash, he seemed to really enjoy (or at least respect) his work on the vampires.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu