Hi Everyone,
This weekend a local store is having a 12 person Kings of War Tournament. Any of the rulebook scenarios, minus loot, could potentially be on the table to be used.
Here is my List:
Legion of Zombies with Giant Dogs 200
Regiment of Soul Reaver Cavalry with Potion of the Caterpillar (PathFinder) 320
Regiment of Skeletons 90
Regiment of Skeletons 90
Troop of Wraiths with The Fog (-1 to hit with shooting) 175
Cursed Pharaoh with Wings of the Honeymaze (Flying 10) 185
Necromancer with Heal (3) and Surge (8) 100
Vampire Lord 220
Revenant King 120
Total: 1500
The legion of zombies serves as a center to soak up hits and control board space. I plan on losing them almost every game, but hopefully while distracting and holding stuff up.
One regiment of skeletons anchors the flank of the zombies, while the other is held in reserve to deal with flyers and break through units.
The Soul Reavers hit incredibly hard. With pathfinder the main way to mitigate them, terrain, is canceled. I can also sit them in forests to avoid shooting damage. These guys, while a main hammer, are such a huge target the opponent most likely with be maneuvering to counter. Their main job is to either gun up a flank, or control a board section, while my characters and wraiths clean house.
Wraiths + flying Cursed Pharaoh are SOOOO good! Both fly, so its easy to keep in surge range. With the fog one of the main ways to deal with wraiths, shooting, is reduced in effectiveness. The cursed pharaoh is also quite hitty, able to jump forward of damage most things at least once, stopping Thunderous Charge, or shooting.
The cursed pharaoh also supplies some much needed inspiring on the forward lines
The revenant king has been great to hold the flank of a unit, or face off against regiments of cav. Though he won't kill stuff in one go, his high defense, Crushing Strength 1, and leech life, keep him in the game until something can come in and support.
Vampire Lord is a new addition, my past 3 games I had a lich king with bane chant; however, most of the time I found he was not doing much. Bane chant is great, but my wraiths often were out of range, and the other targets either hit hard already, or aren't necessarily there to do damage. With some swapping around I found the points to replace the Lich King (which i still really like) with a Vampire Lord.
I figured the Vampire Lord serves a similar role to the Cursed Pharaoh but hits harder, and so can lurk around where needed.
Finally, the necromancer's main use is to supply heals to my elite stuff and characters. Having another source of surge is nice too, since it never hurts to double up (or in my case quadruple).
Thoughts?
I know the Soul Reavers are a pretty heavy investment at 1500 points, but their ability to march, Defense 6, and Leech life 2 seems well worth it.
Its a bit more character heavy then I would prefer, but seems like Undead need that. I would like some shooting but I have no shooting models yet :/
This weekend a local store is having a 12 person Kings of War Tournament. Any of the rulebook scenarios, minus loot, could potentially be on the table to be used.
Here is my List:
Legion of Zombies with Giant Dogs 200
Regiment of Soul Reaver Cavalry with Potion of the Caterpillar (PathFinder) 320
Regiment of Skeletons 90
Regiment of Skeletons 90
Troop of Wraiths with The Fog (-1 to hit with shooting) 175
Cursed Pharaoh with Wings of the Honeymaze (Flying 10) 185
Necromancer with Heal (3) and Surge (8) 100
Vampire Lord 220
Revenant King 120
Total: 1500
The legion of zombies serves as a center to soak up hits and control board space. I plan on losing them almost every game, but hopefully while distracting and holding stuff up.
One regiment of skeletons anchors the flank of the zombies, while the other is held in reserve to deal with flyers and break through units.
The Soul Reavers hit incredibly hard. With pathfinder the main way to mitigate them, terrain, is canceled. I can also sit them in forests to avoid shooting damage. These guys, while a main hammer, are such a huge target the opponent most likely with be maneuvering to counter. Their main job is to either gun up a flank, or control a board section, while my characters and wraiths clean house.
Wraiths + flying Cursed Pharaoh are SOOOO good! Both fly, so its easy to keep in surge range. With the fog one of the main ways to deal with wraiths, shooting, is reduced in effectiveness. The cursed pharaoh is also quite hitty, able to jump forward of damage most things at least once, stopping Thunderous Charge, or shooting.
The cursed pharaoh also supplies some much needed inspiring on the forward lines
The revenant king has been great to hold the flank of a unit, or face off against regiments of cav. Though he won't kill stuff in one go, his high defense, Crushing Strength 1, and leech life, keep him in the game until something can come in and support.
Vampire Lord is a new addition, my past 3 games I had a lich king with bane chant; however, most of the time I found he was not doing much. Bane chant is great, but my wraiths often were out of range, and the other targets either hit hard already, or aren't necessarily there to do damage. With some swapping around I found the points to replace the Lich King (which i still really like) with a Vampire Lord.
I figured the Vampire Lord serves a similar role to the Cursed Pharaoh but hits harder, and so can lurk around where needed.
Finally, the necromancer's main use is to supply heals to my elite stuff and characters. Having another source of surge is nice too, since it never hurts to double up (or in my case quadruple).
Thoughts?
I know the Soul Reavers are a pretty heavy investment at 1500 points, but their ability to march, Defense 6, and Leech life 2 seems well worth it.
Its a bit more character heavy then I would prefer, but seems like Undead need that. I would like some shooting but I have no shooting models yet :/