• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

deathwolf669

Zombie
Jan 18, 2014
Hey guys, is it worth having 2 terrorgiest (TG) and if so what size army should I look at bringing in a second one and is playing with 2 worth it?

Has anyone ever run a TG and zombie dragon combo and if so is it any good?

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
I run two Tbats from 2.4k up, usually. There are pages and pages of tactics for the build around here, but the short of it is nothing else in the book gives you what x2 Tbats bring.

deathwolf669

Zombie
Jan 18, 2014
Adam_Barrow said:
I run two Tbats from 2.4k up, usually. There are pages and pages of tactics for the build around here, but the short of it is nothing else in the book gives you what x2 Tbats bring.

Well guess its time to go chat up the other half to buy me another Tbat :D

Ripper

Grave Guard
Feb 27, 2014
If you could bring 3, you should.

These things are the best unit in our book.

Demian

Vampire Count
Oct 28, 2011
You CAN bring 3... one will have a SGK on top of it...

mwahahahahaha!

Mc1gamer

Nagash will Rise AGAIN! He's back? Nevermind
Nov 5, 2013
USA
SGK is a glass cannon though. I give him one of the dragonbase items vs fire to help if regen is lost, but regen doesn't help vs Killing Blow! You can enhance the Regen with Mortis engines (not going to happen if you max out Terrorbats, you won't have the points) or you can use the Crypt Scavengers Garden of Morr. Helps keep him and the Tbats alive but you need to stay close to the graveyard then. Its offensively outrageous, but you will wish you had a ward at some point.

deathwolf669

Zombie
Jan 18, 2014
So you guys saying without a SGK I can take 2 Tbats but I wont be able to throw in a mortis engine instead as well?

Ah but I am building my engine now :(

Would 1 Tbat and one ME work just as well?

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
I played one tbat, one Engine for the first few months of the book. Guaranteed dead tbat turn one if it's a shooty army. They'll focus fire on the gribbly.

Ripper

Grave Guard
Feb 27, 2014
Adam_Barrow said:
I played one tbat, one Engine for the first few months of the book. Guaranteed dead tbat turn one if it's a shooty army. They'll focus fire on the gribbly.

Yes. The terrorgheist is absurdly huge, but remember, if they can only see his wings, they can't shoot at him. So he can hide behind a surprisingly small building. Also, the building will stop canon balls.

I always make sure to put a big building/hill/etc in each deployment zone so that regardless of which side I end up on, I have somewhere to hide high priority targets.

Aterak

Zombie
Apr 4, 2014
Inverness
In anything 1600 up I will run two Terrorgheists, Unless of course I am fighting a Cannon heavy(or long ranged shooting) army in which case the 450 points is then spend on Hex Wraiths or Cairn Wraiths.
I usually keep them close enough to the general to get a march move and behind my buses & tarpits. This allows me to march fly them over the top of units that are charging my tarpit and spin them at the end, this gives me one scream, followed by supporting rear charge and a second scream and thunderstomp etc, etc. All within the safety of my IoN bubble.
Of course this means you are risking a rear charge from an enemy unit into your glass cannon BUT if you can win combat and cause the enemy to flee OR raise a new unit of zombies behind the Terrorgheist then you are safe(ish).
Then towards the end of the battle I have my Terrorgheist chase down and circle units screaming them to death in a sort of duet, always jumping out of their charge arc.

I of course cannot stress it enough if the cannons out number your Terrorgheists don't take them, If the cannons are likely to outnumber them don't take them. Replace it with something more numerous Grave Guard, Black Knights that sort of thing (My preference is ethereal).
Dwarves are different since their magic rune cannons can hurt Ethereal but there is nothing quite as sweet as the look on an opponents face who expected you to take large things and has sunk points into non magic cannons or large units of non magic range attacks and you have instead turned up with 3 little squads of Ethereal Vanguard units that cause Terror.

I can understand the desire to take a Mortis Engine and a Terrorgheist, I have run this a few times with little success. The following problems arose:
- For the Terrorgheist to get its +1 to regeneration it has to be close to the engine which grounds it from making a 28" scream, and really why else do you have it? The thing is awful in ranked CC as it dies to combat resolution and fast large volumes of low strength attacks. It also hates impact hits. (My Terrorgheist has been the bonnet mascot of tomb king chariots one too many times for my liking)
- If one of them is lost then your combo is down the drain and you are left with one or the other (which is not a bad thing by all means) the other is then likely to get picked off quickly enough since the enemy can now focus fire.
- If the Terrorgheist is lost then you can move the Mortis engine to try and give the rest of your army a +1 to regenerate so this is the preferred option. If you however lose the Mortis Engine then you keeping the Terrorgheist close to it has probably (unless we are talking about turn one cannon fire [I warned you about cannons bro]) then you have probably lost some time and wasted its manoeuvrability/ Fear factor.

So to summaries:
- double Mortis engines in a horde army, YEAH ! (200 5+ Regeneration zombies for the win ladies and gentle men)
- double Terrorgheist Vs a CC or short range shooting army, YEAH BOI!
- One of one and another of the other, Id give it a miss honestly.

TL : DR
2 Terrorgheists all the way.

~Aterak

Nov 13, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
I see the double-terrorgheist list a lot, but I've always been suspicious of its efficacy in an all-comers list. You'll do great against the DP-chariots-chimera spam Warriors list, but it's not very effective against horde armies like Skaven or Orcs and Goblins and against Empire you might as well be playing 450 points short.

deathwolf669

Zombie
Jan 18, 2014
So the consensus is they are great unless you are against a ranged or horde army?

Well then here is the next stupid question.... Can you take 2 zombie dragons and is it worth it? Guessing not from what I have read but I did say it was a stupid question :D

deathwolf669

Zombie
Jan 18, 2014
Burnanation said:
You can take two zombie dragons, but only as mounts for a Vamp Lord. That would mean a super huge point game.

Thanks, whats what I thought, will probably glue this head down and leave the head of my next Tbat to be switchable :D

Patrunkenphat7

Grave Guard
Mar 4, 2014
Pirate Robot Ninja of Death said:
I see the double-terrorgheist list a lot, but I've always been suspicious of its efficacy in an all-comers list. You'll do great against the DP-chariots-chimera spam Warriors list, but it's not very effective against horde armies like Skaven or Orcs and Goblins and against Empire you might as well be playing 450 points short.

You think they're bad against Empire? Two words: Demigryph Knights.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
Patrunkenphat7 said:
Pirate Robot Ninja of Death said:

You think they're bad against Empire? Two words: Demigryph Knights.

One word: Cannons. With those huge bases, you'll be lucky to keep both your TG's alive past turn one.

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
@PRNoD If you're taking Flyers, fear no scarecrow. Cannons miss. Cannons blow up. Cannons can't bounce over walls. Cannons can't shoot through buildings. Cannons can't fire if there's a chance of hitting friendlies. Cannons can't fire if your wolves/fbats/vargs are doing their job. It's a tall order to drop x2 Tbats in one turn. Take the hit if one dies, that's the point of redundancy. Anecdotal evidence be damned, the percentages are in your favor. You don't have to be lucky.

Inb4 Butt all the hurt.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
Adam_Barrow said:
the percentages are in your favor.

It's not a total whitewash, but the percentages are very strongly in the favour of the guns.

As Napoleon said, "God fights on the side with the best artillery."

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
Does your math stand up? 10" from the back is pretty good odds to hit, even assuming we're not noobs and the tbat has her flank to the machine (making the base 4" deep). Good odds to Wound T6 with S10. 1/6 odds to roll 6 Wounds is where the problem starts. 1/6 odds to make her Regen.

And all the other various factors. Vargs are on the cannon by turn 2, so that's a wrap there. If the Wounds roll was 1-5, Lore Attribute time. Flamming cannon? Whatevs. It wasn't much of a chance at that Regen roll anyway. Terrain, target saturation, you get the idea.

Two cannons firing at one Tbat I can see being scary first turn. One cannon, and 2 Tbats? That's a stretch for a one turn kill, and you've a spare besides. Two cannons on two tbats, i like the odds. I'm no Ian Malcolm so I'm trusting my google fu, but the internet seems to put it down in the single digit percentile.

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
Ripper said:
The 9th edition canon nerf can't come soon enough.

They just don't scare me. For comparable points, my two spirit hosts can deal with monsters just as easily, and they never blow themselves up...

Tou84

Skeleton
Feb 15, 2012
It was calculated in warseer or in somewhere else that 2 cannons have a 55% chance of killing a 50*50 6 wound model in one turn... so the chances just go up for a 100*150 model, though the 50*50 model didnt have any save...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu