• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
Vampire Lord; lvl 3; Hellsteed: 470
- Infinite Hatred, Red Fury, Walking death
= Wristbands of Black Gold, Power Stone, Sword of Might, Nightshroud

Wight King; BSB: 170
- Barding, Heavy armour, Shield
- The Gem of Blood, Sword of Kings

Vampire: 200
- inf.hatred, Dread Knight
= Dispel Scroll, Book of Arkhan

20 Zombies: 80

5 dire wolves: 40

9 Black Knights; Barded; Full command; Banner of Barrows: 337
6 Black Knights; Barded; : 168

5 Fell bats: 100

5 Blood Knights; Standard; Royal Standard of Strigos: 305

1 Varghulf: 175

TOTAL: 2245

PD: 6 + bound
DD: 5 + 2 scrolls

This list came to be after reading a discussion over at the keep about BD army lists. Though it isnt intended to be one here is my take on it. Its all about being fast and furious!
The magic phase isnt much to cheer about.
The character setup: The Book of Arkhan might have been better with the count but I feel since he is level 3 + the stone he will have up to 7 dice for a single turn which might just burn that extra scroll off my opponent which in turn will make future magic phases easier on me. Also, he might just get Vanhels himself(and then it gets really interesting). The rest of my choices are pretty straighforwards, as is the list but I thought I'd just explain my thoughts here.

That said, any comments/ideas?

Thanks, dman

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
Looks like a great list to me, though I have two things to comment on. Firstly, and most importantly, I think you've miscalculated your hero vampire. With both a scroll and the book he has a total amount of 60 points of magic items. o.o Also, you wrote that you have two scrolls, but I can only see that one? Anyway, I would drop his scroll for an enchanted shield, a 1+ save really can't be complained about. :)

Secondly, I would probably use 3x10 ghouls for your core units. You don't really have enough magic to keep a zombie-combat going in your favour, which makes me think that those ghoul units, even though only at minimum strength, will be able to perform better for you. Ghoulkin is not a necessity of course, not with such small numbers.

Oh and by the way, I really like your item set-up for the lord. It looks quite interesting, how has it worked out for you? :)

Danceman

True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
*slaps his face* Ok, that was stupid. For some reason I read 25pts and convinced myself it was right. Will have to amend that.

If I drop my last scroll I will end up with a mere 5 dispell dice... on the other hand I will be all over my opponent by turn 2. So I am going to try the shield and see where it takes me. I agree with the ghouls, got cooler models for them too.

So far the lord only have lived through Dancey's magic dice trial. Which basically is me rolling dice over and over.

So here's the new one;

Vampire Lord; lvl 3; Hellsteed: 470
- Infinite Hatred, Red Fury, Walking death
= Wristbands of Black Gold, Power Stone, Sword of Might, Nightshroud

Wight King; BSB: 170
- Barding, Heavy armour, Shield
- The Gem of Blood, Sword of Kings

Vampire: 200
- inf.hatred, Dread Knight
= Enchanted shield, BoArkhan

10 ghouls: 80

9 Black Knights; Barded; Full command; Banner of Barrows: 337

6 Black Knights; Barded; : 168

5 Fell bats: 100

5 Blood Knights; Standard; Royal Standard of Strigos: 305

1 Varghulf: 175

TOTAL: 2245

PD: 6 + bound
DD: 5

Ergo-Sum

Vampire Thrall
True Blood
Mar 5, 2009
London
To be fair with the ghouls Vs zombies, it depends what you want them to do. If they are just there to capture table quarters, I think zombies do it better, as point for point, they are harder to get to below US 5. If you actually might want them to do some thing, then ghouls are better, but with only 10, how much are they actually going to do?

I have to say, I like your list alot. The only thing I can thing to add is maybe making one of the wolf units the standard 7 wolves with a doom wolf large monster catching unit. Depends on how often you think you'll see dragons/GD etc really.

Danceman

True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
I was thinking of making it 2 x 10 ghouls and 20 zombies. The ghouls can try and flush out scouts and such. Even if they dont catch em they might deterr softer targets from getting behind me.

Thanks for the comments so far!

Danceman

True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
BSB goes with the large BK unit and the vampire's position isnt set in stone but most likely will end up in the smaller Black knight unit most of the time. I am sort of doubtful about the blood knights, these might end up being exchanged for Wraiths as they will be able to cover my flanks much better which is essential in this list as every model crumbled will hurt alot. A 2nd Vargh is also something I consider. But the blood knights will get a fair trial before I dimiss them from the list.

I do like the "fast and furious" aspect and how it plays as a list though.

Cheers!

Oracle

Vargheist
May 18, 2008
Tasmania
A question, don't the wristbands only cover the character, not the unit too? In which case isn't it a bit of a waste of points since he should never be alone.

Or am I wrong and it covers the unit, in which case it's a item I might find a use for...

Danceman

True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
He has to be on his own as he is riding a hellsteed. I would agree with never keeping your count on its own but only when it is a character who wants to cast and not geared towards fighting, and this setup is indeed made for fighting on its own.
Since I can fly him around I will be able to choose my battles. There are a very few units who can take him on, especially since I will in almost all cases strike first.

Alesh

Zombie
Aug 20, 2008
Your Blood Knights unit is calculated wrong. 5 of them with the Royal Standard of Strigos is 330 points.

5 x 55 = 275
20 for the standard
35 for the magic standard

That's 330.

Danceman

True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
Thanks for catching that, will have to maul things over on what to drop(which probably be a black knight).

cheers!

Didymus13

Skeleton
Nov 12, 2007
Montreal, Qc
I *think* you're off on the Vampire in your list. The Book of Arkhan and Dispel Scrolls total 60 pts of magic items not 50. Actually I hope that you're right, and that I've been calculating wrong. ;)

SD

Danceman

True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
Didymus13 said:
I *think* you're off on the Vampire in your list. The Book of Arkhan and Dispel Scrolls total 60 pts of magic items not 50. Actually I hope that you're right, and that I've been calculating wrong. ;)

SD

It was indeed a mistake and I corrected in a revised list in this thread, changed it to BoArkhan and an enchanted shield.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu