2500 Wood Elf theme First Draft

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Sume

Ghoul
Nov 10, 2012
108
Zombies
99
Master Necromancer (200pts)
Lore of the Vampires, Wizard Level 4

Vampire Lord (394pts)
Heavy Armour, Lore of the Vampires, Quickblood, Red Fury, Shield, Wizard 1, Ogre Blade, Talisman of Preservation

Crypt Ghouls (400pts)
39x, Champion

Zombies (90pts)
30x

Zombies (90pts)
30x

Zombies (60pts)
20x

Fell Bats (32pts)
2x

Fell Bats (32pts)
2x

Grave Guard (536pts)
38x, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of the Barrows, Great Weapon

Spirit Host (45pts)

Spirit Host (45pts)

Spirit Host (45pts)

Terrorgheist (225pts)

Terrorgheist (225pts)

Hello. This is my first draft of trying to design a army, based around a Wood Elf theme.

I really want to make sure I can move this army fast into close combat, with the spells and bound items. I am just out of points and not sure what is the direction I need to be going. I am striving for a balanced list to use. My meta you will see most type of armies, but the common ones are dwarves, WoC, Empire knight bus/ with cannon support, and Vampire Counts.

I am not sure what to fill in things with for this list. I also would enjoy having 2x units of hex wraiths in this army. I need to add at least one more vampire, would like two hero level ones though. The question is am I better of just making a lord level 4 vampire and ditch the master necromancer. Then if I did that I could add some wolves instead of a zombie bunker in the back. I am thinking no terrorghist or run two? Would I just be better of with some cairn wraith instead?

I just need some help to fix this, and do I have too much chaff? Not enough? The wrong type? Please keep in mind this army is going to be modeled based off the Wood Elf product line. So some things are just too hard for me to come up with a good concept for.

Thank you. Seems lots of helpful and friendly people here. Look forwarding to getting this planned out. Then when I get a chance start working on some Wood Elf zombies.
 
And he popped his cherry! Congratz on your first list! :D I think you'll find that people are VERY friendly around here, although weird :)

It seems to be a VERY good list considering it's your first. I don't see major flaws in it actually. Could easily be running something like that myself. Although I have some ideas:

1. Definitely get a DS.
2. I think you should run a SGK instead of VL since he is cheaper and utterly destroys things in close combat.
3. Drop a unit of Zeds to get some DW. Also I would go 3 SH, drop one and save some points.
4. I dislike Fell Bats, but I have the feeling that they are Warhawks or something else wood elvish and that you really want to keep them?
5. There is no such thing as "too much chaff" :D Well there is if you start having trouble killing your enemy, but I see alot of killing power in this list.

:)
 
Thank you. I really was not at a toss up with the VL and SGK in terms of which was better, or more reliable. I guess you can tell I opted for a more infantry heavy list. I do like the idea of the wolves and SH. The fell bats where a idea and yes I would had modeled off warhawks. Would I just be better of with 2 units of hex wraiths out on the flanks instead of zombies? I do think I need a couple more hero level characters, unless this would be enough. Now for grave guard I am not sure how it should be ran, or if going say 5 wide, 6 deep with hand weapons and shields be a better approach, provide with like a hero level vampire or even the SGK in with it. The ghouls I planned to run horde with a character. With the above list I still have around 96 points if I remember correctly to add. I will end up with a scroll on someone. I am not sure if it is necessary but the times I opt'd not to use one. Well lets just say my poor tomb kings received bad things going their way without any lube. I am under the mindset someone pays like say 1k points into do nasty things magically they better get things off. For example my Tomb Kings are very magic heavy and I pay around 1k points to make sure I dominate that phase of the game. Of course it is rather random at times.

My break down of this, and go back and tweak and rethink things.

1. 3x units of 20x zombies, and some wolves. I like one to be a master necro bunker unless I don't really need the guy, and the other 2 tar pits.
2. Drop the bats, combine the hosts.
3. Maybe go with 30 Grave guard.
4. Should the terrorghists stay? or leave for say cairn wraiths.
5. I want at least one more kill machine vampire
6. Hex wraiths, this could go back to getting rid of some zombies.

Hope to hear more feedback and going to mess around more on list building. I looked around at other people's army lists to get some idea of how others are doing things. I also had a plan of attack going into this. Which was the heavy infantry base. I don't see that a Wood Elf made into a vampire after his or her army was destroyed would contain loads of cavalry. Yes I am trying to be fluffy yet maintain a balanced competitive edge.

I will try to get a more working back story to post for everyone to read. The general idea is a vampire of the bloodline Lamosnia (does it still exist? Probably misspelled badly) fell in love with a mortally wounded wood elf noble and embarrassed them. After learning to become a vampire etc, they go back to the battle field of where they died, and raise their once mortal army back into the unlife.
 
Don't change too much on your list, it is very good as it is.

1. Good idea.
2. Good idea to drop the Bats but do not combine the SH, they are way better on their own(more chaff).
3. No. 38 with great weapons in horde is the way to go. They are too expensive not to use offensively.
4. Yes the TG should definitely stay.
5. One possible and cheap build is: Red Fury, ES, Sword of Swiftslaying, Heavy Armor.
6. I wouldn't start out with Hexies, but you can add them later when you've tried this army.
7. The bloodline you're talking about is Lahmia, and yes they are still here :)
8. Heavy infantry base sounds like a good idea and it's definitely competetive.

Hope this helps :D
 
Ok here is my take two on this list. It comes to exactly 2500. I have some highlights to get help with as I trimmed so fat so to speak and maybe added some elements that are not too good. Over all I do feel pretty good about the list idea. I used things in this list that I learned from Tomb Kings. Like usually two of one thing is better then one, so if you got one don't even bother.

1. I feel more comfortable with at least 2 combat characters, would a 3rd be better?
2. I like having the master necromancer, keep him in the back with his bunker and allows him to attempt speed march everything to where I want it to go.
3. Is the SGK a good or bad set up? Is having a VL better as you get more protection, and leadership?
4. I wanted to get a 2nd terrorghist in here, but with it. I come in over at 75 points, or 87 if I go to 39 grave guard.
5. In my games when I played against VC with my Tomb Kings. I have a knack for shooting the big stuff early with the catapults. So I learned with Tomb Kings redundancy is better. Like example two catapults, two sphinx, as cannons, catapults, and the like you will see at a competitive level.
6. Should I not even bring a lone terrorghist.
7. The cairn wraith where added as I dropped the 2nd terrorghist. Would I just be better off with a 2nd baby vampire?
8. Lasty should I even try to get more standards, like at least on the zombie bunker? Will the one be enough? I honestly never seen Blood and Glory pop up in the tournaments around here. Usually Battleline, dawn attack and meeting engagement.

Master Necromancer (225pts)
Lore of the Vampires, Wizard Level 4, Dispel Scroll

Strigoi Ghoul King (380pts)
Lore of the Vampires, Red Fury, Wizard Level 1
Book of Arkhan, Dragonbane Gem, Ogre Blade

Vampire (189pts)
Heavy Armour, Lore of Shadow, Red Fury, Wizard Level 1
Enchanted Shield, Sword of Swift Slaying

Crypt Ghouls (400pts)
39x, Champion

Dire Wolves (40pts)
5x

Dire Wolves (40pts)
5x

Zombies (60pts)
20x

Zombies (60pts)
20x

Zombies (60pts)
20x

Grave Guard (536pts)
38x,Great Weapon, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of the Barrows

Spirit Host (45pts)

Spirit Host (45pts)

Spirit Host (45pts)

Cairn Wraiths (150pts)

Terrorgheist (225pts)
 
Thank you. That was what I was thinking too. Get rid of the book, drop some Grave Guard. Since it is smaller would you still run it in a horde? Would a 5 wide, 6 deep formation be better? Then if that configuration would hand weapon and shield be a better bang for my point investment? As for the terrorghits I was thinking go big or go home in terms of having just one.
 
Sill messing around with points. I can get to 33 GG with great weapons and have 10 points left over, or I can get to 36 with hand weapon and shield with 10 points left over. Considering it is a offensive unit. I should keep the great weapons. The question now is do I drop something else where like off one of the characters? Well this is good. Helps me understand and tweak to fit everything in.
 
This is what I came up with by playing around with points. I ended up dropping 2 zombie units, adding 2 more wolves, and to squeak into enough for core, two zombies on the bunker. This was to bring my GG up to 35. Now I am not sure if this is as good idea. As I really wanted to use zombies as tar pits. Guess with 7 units of chaff I can make sure my ghouls, and GG are where I want them to be. I just dont want to give my opponent free points though as all the chaff.

Master Necromancer (225pts)
Lore of the Vampires, Wizard Level 4, Dispel Scroll

Strigoi Ghoul King (380pts)
Lore of the Vampires, Red Fury, Wizard Level 1
Book of Arkhan, Dragonbane Gem, Giant Blade

Vampire (189pts)
Heavy Armour, Lore of Shadow, Red Fury, Wizard Level 1
Enchanted Shield, Sword of Swift Slaying

Crypt Ghouls (400pts)
39x, Champion

Dire Wolves (40pts)
5x

Dire Wolves (40pts)
5x

Dire Wolves (40pts)
5x

Dire Wolves (40pts)
5x

Zombies (60pts)
22x

Grave Guard (536pts)
35x,Great Weapon, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of the Barrows

Spirit Host (45pts)

Spirit Host (45pts)

Spirit Host (45pts)

Cairn Wraiths (150pts)

Terrorgheist (225pts)
 
Ok, i total your list at 2430 points (your zombies are at 66 points, your GG are at 500 points) that leave you 70 points to work with.

Assuming you want a second terrorgheist, you can remove the wraith you a total of 220 points needing only 5 mores.

At that point, you can either remove the book, add a terrorgheist and have 20 points to do anything (1 more GG and 1 wolf/2 zombies or 2 more ghouls).

The other option i see is to remove 1 base of SH giving you enough points to add the terrorgheist + 5 more wolves (or anything totaling up to 40 points).
 
Oh whoops I ended up copying over the wrong information. I need to get the correct info in there. Things should be right now. This posted list did have 20 left over points not sure what to do with. I can also remove a thing of wolves and instead take zombies. I hope this list makes more sense now that I actually fixed my mistakes.


Master Necromancer (225pts)
Lore of the Vampires, Wizard Level 4, Dispel Scroll

Strigoi Ghoul King (380pts)
Lore of the Vampires, Red Fury, Wizard Level 1, Dragonbane Gem, Giant Blade

Vampire (189pts)
Heavy Armour, Lore of Shadow, Red Fury, Wizard Level 1
Enchanted Shield, Sword of Swift Slaying

Crypt Ghouls (400pts)
39x, Champion

Dire Wolves (40pts)
5x

Dire Wolves (40pts)
5x

Dire Wolves (40pts)
5x

Dire Wolves (40pts)
5x

Zombies (60pts)
22x

Grave Guard (536pts)
35x,Great Weapon, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of the Barrows

Spirit Host (45pts)

Spirit Host (45pts)

Spirit Host (45pts)

Terrorgheist (225pts)

Terrorgheist (225pts)
 
The point for your SGK, zombies and GG still aren't accurate ;)

Overall, it look good !!

with your last 20 points, either add 1 GG + 1 Wolf (or a wolf champion ?); add 2 ghouls; or you can also add something to your SGK, like the other trickster shard to help you kill things with a ward save.
 
Your right. I didn't get the point values corrected. This I think I like better. I was messing around with some of the configurations you suggested Xivgg. I had used battle scribe to help me organize things. Then I copied it all over to a word document to save for myself. Of course I did not change the values, and things like the book of arakan got carried over, along with the wrong point values. I like this a little better, 3 wolves, 3 hosts for chaff, a zombie bunker be the 22 zombies, and 20 more zombies as a tar pit all ready in game. Thank you for the help and this helps me get rid of any mistakes I make during my list planning stage.

Master Necromancer (225pts)
Lore of the Vampires, Wizard Level 4, Dispel Scroll

Strigoi Ghoul King (355pts)
Lore of the Vampires, Red Fury, Wizard Level 1, Dragonbane Gem, Ogre Blade

Vampire (189pts)
Heavy Armour, Lore of Shadow, Red Fury, Wizard Level 1
Enchanted Shield, Sword of Swift Slaying

Crypt Ghouls (400pts)
39x, Champion

Dire Wolves (40pts)
5x

Dire Wolves (40pts)
5x

Dire Wolves (40pts)
5x

Zombies (60pts)
20x

Zombies (66pts)
22x

Grave Guard (500pts)
35x,Great Weapon, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of the Barrows

Spirit Host (45pts)

Spirit Host (45pts)

Spirit Host (45pts)

Terrorgheist (225pts)

Terrorgheist (225pts)
 
Humm, i total up your SGK at 375 points and your overall list at 2520 points.

One quick way to fix this would be to switch your first group of zombies (the one with 20 in it) to a 4th group of wolves.

Else, you might have to shuffle with points again for a bit :)

Cheers !
 
Thank you again Xivigg. Actually the SGK is supposed to have the ogre blade not the dragon blade in the final list. That is why it comes out to 2520. Not sure why he was put as the wrong point value though. It was late last night when I was trying to get everything fixed. I am going to edit that list. As I don't need to re-post it again.

I did mess around with the extra wolf unit then had to jumble points all over again. Could not find a configuration I was happy with and keeping my GG at 35, the items on the characters. The reason I got 22 zombies in one unit was my core was five below minimum and adding 3 zombies was the cheapest way to do it.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu