• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Majrenob

Zombie
Jul 17, 2014
Hi all, I have been tweaking my list for an August GT. It's a 2800 UL List (at 2761 will put spare points to storm of magic to add cheap drops) without big Infantry blocks. please let me know what you think. My plan is to deploy VL, Baby Vamp and WK bodyguard in the 2nd rank of a 3 wide TK Horseman bus. Is that a viable strategy? What are the ups and downs? If it does not work I am going to have to retool the whole list.

Rare
Casket of Souls
4 Archai

Special
8 Crypt Horros
Single Spirit Host
Single Spirit Host
4 Vargheists

Core
5 Dire Wolves
5 Dire Wolves
6 Chariots, FGC, Banner of Flame
11 Skeleton Horseman, FCG, Light Armor.
20 Zombies, Mus and Banner

Heroes
Vampire - Lvl 2 Vamps, Barded Nightmare, Lance, Dreadknight, Quickblood, Armor of Destiny, Shield.
Wight King - Battle Standard Bearer, Great Weapon, barded steed, Nightshroud.
Vamp Lord - Lvl 4 Vamps, Barded Nightmanre, RF, QB, Beguile, HA, Shield, TOP, OTS, OB

So, that's the list concept. I have not played this exact list yet. Just played a practice game with a similar list (baby vamp on shadow, ran bus 5 wide, only 2 archai, 1 less chariot replaced by more horseman and a Tomb Prince on a Chariot w/dragonhelm and ASF sword)

The 2 Archai were a big target and didn't last after a cannonball, some magic and 2 rounds of combat with a thundertusk, they would have done better but I had a poorly timed miscast that killed my magic phase so I did not get an invo off before they died.)

The TP Chariot Block worked very well, my issue with it is more the points and that the plus of 6 chariots really diminishes as soon as they take you down to 5.

The Crypt Horrors and Vargheists... Well we all know they are awesome.

The TK Horsebus.. Now this is the big conundrum. They just bleed combat res so badly, which is why I would like to go 3 wide. I figure the BSB and the Archai's aura will give a +2 CR, which pretty much makes up for losing rank bonus. Add in the lack of negative CR for them getting mowed down and it could be a positive. One downside is that the unit will have a huge tail which may impact movement. Also, one of my gaming buddies told me that I may lose out on a look out sir if I am not running 5 wide.

So. What do you all think??

Majrenob

Zombie
Jul 17, 2014
Also, to tag onto my own thread, this was my first game with 2 newly built Morghasts. The models are awesome! I built 1 with halberd, 1 with 2 weapons, both with the chest armor and neither with the helmut, which I think looks dumb. Just awesome models I highly recommend.

Majrenob

Zombie
Jul 17, 2014
I have a game scheduled for Thursday with this list so I should have more to report then, should I make any changes before the game?

LordTobiothan

Crypt Horror
May 6, 2014
I cant imagine 11 6+ save horseman offer enough of a wounds buffer for you characters. As far as I can tell that block of 20 zombies has no purpose so you could think about dropping them to add more wounds to the bus.

Also you get look out sir as long as 5 rank and file are still in the unit. Being 5 wide has nothing to do with it.

Majrenob

Zombie
Jul 17, 2014
If I drop the Zombies I can bump it up to 15 Horseman and get minimum core by adding a Doom Wolf. With Shield and horse the horseman should be 4+ Armor save, and will get +1 Strength on the charge. However with WS 2 they won't do much of anything. 15 Horseman will be 5 deep at 3 wide, 6 deep with the characters. Is that too long?

Nicreap

Ghoul
Dec 2, 2014
It's not 11 6+ horsemen, if he has light armor it is 11 4+ horsemen, since mounted+shield+light armor. They are suppossed to bleed wounds, you ideally want that skeleton bus as small as possible when you hit combat, the horsmen's entire purpose is prvide LOS, if you can go into combat with 3 alive that is wonderful, since even if the enemy flanks you they can't get much combat res.

Aedin

Black Knight
Oct 23, 2011
It's not 11 6+ horsemen, if he has light armor it is 11 4+ horsemen, since mounted+shield+light armor. They are suppossed to bleed wounds, you ideally want that skeleton bus as small as possible when you hit combat, the horsmen's entire purpose is prvide LOS, if you can go into combat with 3 alive that is wonderful, since even if the enemy flanks you they can't get much combat res.

This

Asmodeus

Skeleton
Dec 16, 2013
I figure the BSB and the Archai's aura will give a +2 CR, which pretty much makes up for losing rank bonus
Archai aura does not give you any CR. Only make you take one wound less than normal after you loose the combat. If you planning to use your bus as CR absorber, you should not use cavalry for that.If you run them in 3 wide - well, you are quite fragile from flank. If something will stay after your charge, counter from the flank and you are done.Or as nicreap pointed out - pray that you hit combat with only few of them, so you match negative CR with characters.

It's not 11 6+ horsemen, if he has light armor it is 11 4+ horsemen, since mounted+shield+light armor.
In combat? 4+ will quickly vaporize under high strenght od great weapons, lances, flails, choppas....or plain S4 with razor will kick in.
Definitely 6+. Or none.

Most BS missile fire is either AP or high S(all elves, crossbows, handguns). If not, it is usually boosted by magic(aiban). If not, it is usually not taken at all or is horded to the point of absurd(lizzies with poisons). I would not count on that 4+

Last edited:

Nicreap

Ghoul
Dec 2, 2014
The only point of the 4+ is to absorb BS shooting, and against some targets the is no difference between black knights and skeleton horsemen except you can get more horsemen for cheaper out of core, like against way watchers or bolt throwers where you don't get armor saves anyway. The only purpose of the bus is as mentioned the look out sir roll, so it doesn't matter that the 4+ is worthless in combat since if you are playing it right your flank should be covered and not be threatened anyway it if it is, it should be by something you know your course lords can out combat rez.

Majrenob

Zombie
Jul 17, 2014
So, just to update I did play against a HOTEK list last Thursday. Hellebron on cauldron pushed by phoenix guard, lvl 4 sorceress on death mounted in a unit of brolocks, a second unit of brolocks, 2 giant units of glade guard, 3 bolt throwers, a unit of wild riders, a big bus of silverhelms and a frost phoenix. (and 2 single Storm of magic Sabretusks)

I got tabled.

Although, I don't think it was the list's fault, I had raise dead, didn't use it properly to control Hellebron (mistake 1) and mistake 2 was I got saucy and charged my VL and Nightshroud WK out of my bus into Hellebron. (died to crumble, obviously)

The Horrors took out both units of Brolocks and the Silverhelms which was nice.

I have two potential list adjustments
#1 drop to one unit of chariots 4 wide, increase Zeds to 59 (the tweak)
#2 switch to 3 Harbingers, drop a spirit Host, drop to 3 varg, no champs on CH's or Vargs and switch the Baby Vamp for a Vampire Lord

Thoughts on the adjustments?

Majrenob

Zombie
Jul 17, 2014
Thanks Sunny! So 15 or 18 give another row (or 2). At that point i start to worry about the long tail of the unit. How many is too many?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu