2k Tournament List Expecting Anything

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

GhoulKing505

Grave Guard
Mar 21, 2011
211
Zombies
169
So they are having a 2000 point Tournament near where I live and I just want to know how you feel I will do. Here's the list I plan on taking:

Vampire Lord: 489
Red Fury, Aura of dark majesty, beguile, sword of strife, talisman of preservation, other trickster's shard, heavy armour and shield. He's also a lvl 3 caster

Necromancer: 215
Book of arkhan, lvl 2 vamps, and riding a corpse cart

Wight king: 159
Bsb, shield, razor standard

41 zombies musician and standard: 133

44 skeletons full command and screaming banner: 275

5 dire wolves with doom wolf: 50

5 dire wolves with doom wolf: 50

20 grave guard full command and banner of barrows: 300

8 crypt horrors with crypt haunter: 314

The vampire and wight king both go in with the grave guard. The necromancer is positioned between the crypt horrors and grave guard to begin with. The zombies and skeletons tie up flanks or nasty units while the crypt horrors and grave guard grind other units to dust. What are your thoughts?
 
Hello Ghoulking505,

Ive been playing around with 2000point lists myself recently and having some friendly games.

Small thing but i find necromancers on corpsecarts will just be too tempting for a cannon IMHO. I'd be putting him on foot in units myself.

Secondly i think a vampire and a Wight King in the graveguard means u have 1 deathstar unit. while your skeletons and zombies lack any punch whatsoever. Why not put a character for instance the lord in the skellies to give 2 units with some fighting power.

I usually run my Vamp Lord in a unit of 30 skellies with a 5 frontage to provide ranks and banner to my lords CC resolution (I also usually run Fear Incarnate with the screaming banner)

Just a couple of thoughts for you.

8 Crypt Horrors will be fun though!
 
I realised he would be a cannonball magnet but I just don't have anywhere to put him and I really like using the corpse cart. If I were to take him off the corpse cart I'd need to put all 3 of my character in with the grave guard to keep the necromancer out of combat. That's definitely not what I would like to do.

I never really thought about putting the vampire with the skeletons. I might try that if my first game doesn't go so well. It is always better to have a few decent units than one death star. One of the main reasons I wanted him in there was to benefit from armour piercing so he can kill my opponents general if we get locked in a challenge. Even a 1+ armour save would become a 4+ and then he'd have to re-roll his ward saves. But I guess I'll see what happens.
 
Halve the zombies. Use one as a necro bunker behind your main line and they will grow rather quickly.
Vampire in skellies and wight in gg. And you have a much safer force bit more target saturation.
 
I'll try running two units of zombies instead. I sure wish I had more zombie models though. I only have a total of 80 so the units will max out at 40 a piece. But that shouldn't matter I hope. I'm not too sold on the vampire in the skeletons yet but at the same time it really depends what army I'm going up against. Armies like ogres, dwarfs, and empire I would definitely put him in the skeleton unit. If I'm fighting warriors of chaos though he'll definitely stay in the grave guard unit.

Maybe I'll learn a thing or two while I'm at this tournament. It's on Saturday. Wish me luck!
 
I won two out of my three games simply because they were conditional victories. My first game I got massacred by high elves in a battle for the pass scenario. Never charge a corpse cart in the front of a high elf spearmen unit. That was probably my biggest mistake. I mainly lost because at the moment I needed a decent magic phase I rolled horribly and my opponent had something that stole one of my power dice.

My second game I played another VC player who tried to run two massive zombie hordes and multiple flying units. He had at least 2 units of 3 vargheists and 2 terrorgheists. It was blood and glory and if it wouldn't have been I probably would have lost. Crypt horrors saved my butt. They tore through his 2 zombie blocks and then hit his bunker with his general. Once his general was dead he broke so I was the victor. Basically the only thing I had left were my crypt horrors and my vampire lord. Like I said. I totally would have lost if it wasn't blood and glory.

My last game was a special scenario in which we each had to choose a unit of core that we would deploy as scouts. Everything else came in as reserves. I played warriors of chaos. The goal was to kill your opponents scout unit. If you did that you won. I used my vampire lord, wight king, and unit of grave guard to wipe out his scouting unit of chaos warriors. My vampire lord nearly died but luckily he survived.

Like I said. My victories were because I had 1 goal and let nothing get in the way of that. If I had to take on my opponent's entire army I probably would have lost. I definitely decided crypt horrors are a must have in almost every list. They just hold up anything while also blasting away any core unit you point them at. They just destroy hordes of anything that doesn't have high strength or flaming attacks. I decided I really don't like skeletons. I will probably never field them again. They hardly did anything besides tie up units which zombies do just fine.
 
For the first 2 games the vampire went with the skeleton block. For the first game I kept the wight king in the grave guard but then moved him to the skeleton block for the second game. The vampire tore up everything it touched. I killed both Caradryan and Korhil with him in the first game. It didn't do me a whole lot of good since my entire army got wiped out two turns later but oh well. In the second game he charged out of the unit of skeletons to help kill off the zombies as quickly as possible. It worked too. During the last game he was just beast against the chaos warriors.

Those crypt horrors saved me during my last game especially. I tied up my opponents entire army for at least 3 combat phases with them. I got lucky when his giant rolled yell and bawl on the second combat but it was sure nice seeing them do what they do best.
 
My favorite tactic is to use even larger blocks of zombies to keep my flanks safe.

My list is:

Vamp Lord: Level 4, Heavy Armour, Shield, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Preservation, Fear Incarnate, Iron Curse Icon (414 pts)

Vampire: Level 1, Heavy Armour, Shield (Lore of Vampires) (111 pts)
Vampire: Level 1, Heavy Armour, Shield (Lore of Shadow) (111 pts)

80 Zombies: Banner & Musician (Horde style) (250 pts)
80 Zombies: Banner & Musician (Horde style) (250 pts)

Corpse Cart: Unholy Loadstone (120 pts)
39 Grave Guard: Great Weapon, Full Command, Banner of Barrows (548 pts)

Black Coach (195 pts)

I know that the GW grave guard are big time points and a death star BUT just about any unit that they touch will be in for a serious hurting. Especially if the "Vigour Mortis" is working so they strike at In 3.

I have the zombies on each side of the GG but they are about 2 inches in front so that it doesn't matter what unit gets charged they are going to be flanked the next turn.

The BC just runs around as both a cannon magnet and taking out smaller units.

The last game I played against a O&G player I tabled him even though he was running Gorbad in with a boarboy unit of "Big 'uns". The made contact with 1 of the zombie blocks and was out of the way for the rest of the game. Have fun killing 3 or 4 zombies a turn Gorbad. I'll just make more.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu