750 points for Beginner

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Rob Anyone

Zombie
Aug 11, 2011
28
My House
Zombies
21
Hi all,
I'm looking at putting a semi-competitive 750 point list together as a starting point for getting into Warhammer. I know traditionally we tend to struggle at low points but I've gone for 750 as:

a) I haven't ever played fantasy before and haven't played 40k for nearly 10 years or so
b) I'm quite a slow painter and don't have much time with work at the moment to paint.

I'll be mainly playing in store so don't know what I'll face, so without further ado:

Lords: 165 points
Master Necromancer

Core: 220 points
Skeleton Warriors x 10 (Full Command)
Zombies x 20 (Banner + Musician)
Zombies x 20 (Banner + Musician)

Special: 365 points
Grave Guard x 20 (Great Weapons, Full Command, Banner of Barrows)
Spirit Host

Total = 750 exactly (If my maths is correct :D)

Tactically, the idea would be to bunker the Necromancer in the skeletons and try and raise as many zombies as possible... I know Grave Guard aren't as effective as they used to be but I have the models and would like to include them..

Any general comments/criticisms would be much appreciated, but I've got a few questions:

1) Is it worth dropping the Master Necromancer to a level 2 Necromancer and splashing out on items such as the Book of Arkhan or Ruby Ring of Ruin?
2) I currently have 20 skeletons and 30 zombies, would it be worth taking 20 skeletons instead of one of the zombie units and a Master of the Dead upgrade?
3)I read somewhere that bat swarms can help buff up Grave Guard units, is this the case and does anyone realistically use either bat type?
4) I have a vargulf painted, is it worth trying to squeeze him in, if so what would you drop?
5) Given the currently list (or a variant of) how many zombies could I expect to raise in a game (purely so I know how many more to get)?

Apologies for the question barage and huge thanks in advance.
Rob
 
Fell Bats aren't bad in my opinion, very cheap little chaff unit.

I think your list is promising, and in my experience playing a focused infantry style with lots of IoN is a very powerful strategy for smaller games. However, with VC you will almost always want to keep your core at around the minimum mark, the special and rare choices are simply superior.

What I find augments an army like yours really well are Hexwraiths and Mortis Engines at larger point values. You will be extremely immobile with this style compared to some armies, and the Hexwraith can really help combat that deficit. As such I would think about upgrading your Spirit Host to a unit of 5 Hexwraiths, maybe by shaving down your core and possibly downgrading to a level 2 Necro with a Scroll of Shielding and the Ruby Ring.

The key to victory with an army like this is usually going to lie in how well you protect your Necromancer. So don't forget to think carefully about how you position him and his unit so that nothing threatens him or his bunker, deploy your other units as screens for him and use the Hexwraiths to zone out anything fastmoving.
 
You can't increase your skeles without Master of the Dead on your Necro, which would still be ok, points wise. Until the skeles get to a good size, you should keep the Necro in one of the zombie units. I would shave down the core like lonestarr said.

At low values, you don't need Great Weapons on the Grave Guard. You don't want them going last and they already ignore 1 or all armor.

Varghulfs are pretty sweet at low points. Just don't get into multiple combats with it. If you take it, drop the SH, and your core to the minimum. Next, you would either have to swap out the GG for something else (maybe a corpse cart) or drop the MN to a Nec level 1 (don't pick this one).
 
Thanks one and all for the replies,

I appreciate that our core choices aren't great, but I obviously need to fill the 25% requirement (187.5), so I wasn't sure if there is a more efficient way of filling that requirement?

In terms of special choices, I don't really want to invest in anything now that will become redundant at higher points levels, especially as I don't have a huge budget. So my question is what be most effective to squeeze in? I'm not a huge fan of the models, but would crypt horrors be a better shout?
 
If you already own the Grave Guard I wouldn't get Crypt Horrors just yet. They are great though, and would probably be a more costefficient choice in smaller unit configurations.

Again I think a unit of Hexwraiths would be an excellent addition. Your army is hard to kill with the ability to ressurect and raise your infantry, so presenting a target like a Varghulf or Vargheist is like putting a magnet on the board for all your opponents attention.
 
Yeah I'd drop a unit of zombies and take the banner and musician from the other and keep them a plain bunker.
Then up the skeles unit to 20.
Then I'd give the master necro, master of the dead and sit him in the zombie bunker behind the blocks of skeles and GG.
I don't think banner of the barrows is worth it at this point level, so I'd drop it and pick up a unit of direwolves.
 
Thanks for all the advice
I guess the problem seems to be the Grave Guard as a bit of a points sink. I could be wrong but I think a unit of 5 hexwraiths would take me over the limit on special choice?

I also can't decide whether to sword + board my Grave Guard or not...? I have heard a lot of advice that I should pick both and am a bit confused. As I said earlier I don't want anything that will become redundant at higher points levels so any light someone could shed would be useful. Also I got the impression Banner of Barrows was a must for Grave Guard but you reckon I can get away without it?

It terms of my next purchases, I was wondering how many skeletons/zombies I could realistically raise in a game (I know it's situational) just so I ensure I have enough?

I'll try and post some updated list options when I get a spare moment for more scrutiny.
Cheers for again all the advice and apologies for all the nooby questions :rolleyes:.
 
Banner of the barrows is very good, I said remove it at this level, as it's a large points sink at 750pts. You can get a unit of direwolves for that, which at this level IMO would be more worthwhile.
I'd go great weapons on the grave guard, their a lot more offensive with them and a mortis engine or two makes up for their lack of shields when you up your points.

If you still can't decide though, you could assemble a few with sword and board and the rest GW. Then when you wanna run them with shields, put them on the front rank and just explain it to your opponent, and switch for when you wanna run GW :)
 
Cheers for the replies:
Revised list:
Lords: 185 points
Master Necromancer (Master of Dead)

Core: 240 points
Skeleton Warriors x 20 (Full Command)
Zombies x 20 (Banner + Musician)
Dire Wolves x 5

Special: 315 points
Grave Guard x 20 (Great Weapons, Full Command)
Spirit Host

Total = 740 points

Comments + Criticisms gratefully received.
 
Cheers for the replies:
Revised list:
Lords: 185 points
Master Necromancer (Master of Dead)

Core: 240 points
Skeleton Warriors x 20 (Full Command)
Zombies x 20 (Banner + Musician)
Dire Wolves x 5

Special: 315 points
Grave Guard x 20 (Great Weapons, Full Command)
Spirit Host

Total = 740 points

Comments + Criticisms gratefully received.
For ten points, just throw in 2 more skeletons, or make a doomwolf, or add a direwolf.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu