• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Skittelz1981

Varghulf
Apr 28, 2013
AMS
So, i heard a grapevine rumour about 9th edition changes:

9th Edition Rules
-Elves roll 3W6 to determine an attack, dwarf roll 1W6
-Movement will be simplified
-Armor saves will change, shield give a special save
-Skirmishers return to the rules from the 7th
-2.500p will be the new standard Size for Battles
-Rules for special dangerous Terrain will be dropped

Ofc this is just pure speculation by a guy called 'Tim the Thief' somewhere.

I dont even know it means to roll 3W6 to determine an attack....

Melle

Sir Larpsalot, champion of larpers
True Blood
Apr 7, 2012
Sweden
W6 should be d6 maybe, isnt dice 'wurfel' or something in german?

pretty weird rumour about the attack, should be elaborated abit more than that. as of now it makes no sense at all

Joex48

Ghoul
Aug 31, 2012
Leeds, UK
Yeah dice in German is Wurfel, so I guess you're right about that being where the W comes from. I'd be interested in seeing where this rumour goes, as the only ones I've heard so far are speculating about release dates. Some say September (Though I find it unlikely that they'd release two new editions so close) the rest say next summer (which is where I'd place my bets too to be honest).

As far as the '2500 becoming standard' thing, last I checked the 2400 standard came about because 600/1200 was deemed an easier 25/50% to work with than 625/1250... I could be wrong though.

But if that's the case, does that mean that the army composition % rules could change?

I personally think any rumours at this point are purely speculation/wishlists. I'd be interested to hear of any others though :)

Melle

Sir Larpsalot, champion of larpers
True Blood
Apr 7, 2012
Sweden
armour saves and skirmish ive seen rumored on other forums as well. something along armour works as in 40k. ( i hope not though)

and that 9th will be basically same as 8th but simplified (hoping not stupified here)with added skirmish segment for easier startup new players.
but its all speculation as you say

dongilles

Grave Guard
Mar 17, 2011
Melle said:
armour saves and skirmish ive seen rumored on other forums as well. something along armour works as in 40k. ( i hope not though)

and that 9th will be basically same as 8th but simplified (hoping not stupified here)with added skirmish segment for easier startup new players.
but its all speculation as you say

I really hope they do something about armor. Its pretty useless right now, even more with the new wood elves.

How does armor work in 40k?

Lord Dakath

Zombie
Mar 1, 2013
Are you referring to how armor saves work in 40k? If so, than the armor saves in 40k are pretty straight forward. If you have a 3+ armor save than you always save on a 3+ from a normal wound. 40k has what they call the AP (armor penetration) of certain attacks. The weapon's AP determines what armor it can penetrate. An AP6 weapon will only ignore an armor save of 6+, but an AP2 weapon will ignore all saves except invulnerable saves, which are sort of like wards saves but in 40k it's either or. The strength of a weapon/hit doesn't do anything for purposes of modifying an armor save, it will however auto-kill anything that the str is double or more than the victim's toughness if they fail an invulnerable save (if they have one).

I guess I should also state that I have not seen even one page from 7th Edition 40k so these might change, but that's how it's worked in the past.

I hope that all makes sense. I'm running on next to no sleep at the moment.

Burnanation

Crypt Horror
Mar 29, 2010
Woodstock VA
I hope they don't change to 40k armor saves.

If they make any changes I'd like them to go back to 7th movement and skirmishers (and then give beastmen back the old gors and ungors are skirmishers that can rank up). Other than that I'm pretty happy with most everything else.

Oswen

Zombie
Mar 12, 2014
Olethros70 said:
Now there are rumors about no 9th but discontinuity of the game itself. Who knows...

I just saw that rumor, having came back recently in WHFB and spent the last two months painting new models...that'll make me cry if true.

Lord Dakath

Zombie
Mar 1, 2013
I will cry as well if they discontinue the game, I just barely got into it after slowly trying to over the last 12 years or so, I was just so addicted to 40k but now I find Fantasy more enjoyable than 40k. :(

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
Olethros70 said:
Now there are rumors about no 9th but discontinuity of the game itself. Who knows...

Frankly, I think I'd be happy if they did this. I'd finally be free of the brutal cycle of buying new rule books and new editions all the time, constantly upgrading my collection as they release new models, etc.

Patrunkenphat7

Grave Guard
Mar 4, 2014
Olethros70 said:

I don't see this happening with 2 codex releases so far this year with some nice models to boot. I feel like if we see the abandonment of the game it will come with a long hiatus of support before the bomb drops. Doesn't make sense to say, "here are these sweet Wood Elves you've asked for for ages, btw now we're discontinuing the game."

Skittelz1981

Varghulf
Apr 28, 2013
AMS
Discontinuing after releasing so many 8th edition AB makes no sense at all. It shows theyre clearly doing their effort to keep the armies alive.

@Blutsauger.... isnt buying new models and painting them part of the hobby? Lets hope they keep bringing out models. About the armybooks, i kinda agree. Although i never actually bought one myself, i only bought the BRB and i bought it from a belgian guy that was selling it foilwrapped, brand new for 15 euros. That was the steal of the century.

Tou84

Skeleton
Feb 15, 2012
from rules wise I wish the rider would get the save from the mount, meaning our corpse carts and the dreaded coven throne actually see the gameplay, as they qould be a way to spare 45 points as they would confer saves...

and cannonballs / throwers would always hit the mount... no randomisation.

both would ease the rules which the 0th is going to be all about...

Skittelz1981

Varghulf
Apr 28, 2013
AMS
Tou84 said:
from rules wise I wish the rider would get the save from the mount, meaning our corpse carts and the dreaded coven throne actually see the gameplay, as they qould be a way to spare 45 points as they would confer saves...

That would give a huge free wardbonus, saving alot of points for items.
The only way to make that viable is if those type of mounts would cost more (which i would gladly pay for), otherwise its just way too good. Just stick your lords and characters on those mounts and they get free wardsaves so you can equip them with even more weaponry and armors.
On the other hand, if they would cost more, it gets even harder to field at 2.4k games. ending in the same problem we usually already have now; too expensive to field or just not allowed at all within pointallowance.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
Tou84 said:

What I would like to see is Cannons become nastier Bolt Throwers. So they use BS to hit, can punch through an entire file of troops, you randomise hits between riders and mounts (instead of hitting both, one of the biggest WTF moments in the game) etc etc.

I mean, more than that I'd like to see something to address the problems with steadfast and ranks. Something like, if your unit is disrupted, it cannot be steadfast. And further, if your unit extends beyond the edges of the enemy formation, it cannot be steadfast. Historically, if your formation extended past the edges of the enemy formation you could force the enemy warriors on the edges to turn and face their flank, which left them terribly exposed and usually precipitated the entire formation collapsing and routing. I'd like to see this represented in WHFB somehow, rather than the long columns of troops that are currently popular since the most important factor is keeping your rank bonus and remaining steadfast, and since being disrupted doesn't remove the steadfast feature, there's no penalty to doing so. Those long columns of troops marching across the table look silly, and I don't like it.

But turning cannons into more powerful bolt throwers is also important.

Tou84

Skeleton
Feb 15, 2012
I would like to see cannons having same principle as steam tanks...

you load from 1-3 amount of black powder which propels the cannon ball

1 load equals 20 inches , strength 6 2 wounds
2 loads equals 35 inches, strength 8 d3+1 wounds
3 loads equals 45 inches, strength 10 d6 wounds

mishaps on misfire

1 load = the shot was a dud, may fire regularly next turn
2 loads = the ball goes skyward and the match is up: draw a straight line using scatter dice to resolve the direction of the ball, all models underneath are hit. may fire regularly next turn
3 loads = the cannon explodes as the barrel cant hold the pressure, remove the cannon from table

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
Tou84 said:
I would like to see cannons having same principle as steam tanks...

you load from 1-3 amount of black powder which propels the cannon ball

1 load equals 20 inches , strength 6 2 wounds
2 loads equals 35 inches, strength 8 d3+1 wounds
3 loads equals 45 inches, strength 10 d6 wounds

mishaps on misfire

1 load = the shot was a dud, may fire regularly next turn
2 loads = the ball goes skyward and the match is up: draw a straight line using scatter dice to resolve the direction of the ball, all models underneath are hit. may fire regularly next turn
3 loads = the cannon explodes as the barrel cant hold the pressure, remove the cannon from table

I don't think making it MORE complicated would be an attractive option.

Jun 3, 2014
Just go back to having to measure the distance...I missed that about 6th(?)

I hate how laser guided the cannon rules are now. Especially the damn OK cannon! Free re-roll? WTF!?

crafty0ne

Ghoul
Nov 3, 2011
Front Range, Colorado
Olethros70 said:

This rumor probably grew out of the recent new rules release for 40K, which involved a new rule book, but no Boxed set with models and terrain and armies and dice and all the fun extras and whatnot. They may very well do something similar for fantasy, a new rule book released with a "fluff" book and something with no boxed set at all. and it is a short jump from "we are discontinuing a boxed set for the next edition of WHFB," to "ohmigod they are discontinuing WHFB!!!!"

Skittelz1981

Varghulf
Apr 28, 2013
AMS
boxed set? you mean like island of blood? Im pretty sure they bringing out a new one soon which includes Empire and O&G (ofc always the same armies)

Woolly.Mammoth

Black Knight
May 13, 2014
AZ
- The discontinuation of WHFB rumor is likely because Forge World is dropping fantasy. This is most likely a result or the drop in popularity after 8th, as 8th is reportedly much more complex and harder to start (unless you're coming from the uber-complexity of 40k, like me)

With worldwide tournaments and millions invested over 3 decades, its very unlikely that they will discontinue it. WHFB is nearly a household name (in England at least). The WHFB MMO was one of the most successful, and there is reportedly another major game in development with Sega.

At the best club here in NYC, I see lots of fantasy players, like 4:1 40K at the moment, even after the new rulebook. Personally i've fallen in love with fantasy. 40k has lots of gorgeous models, but its all "okay let me roll 60 dice for shooting you now". WHFB has more tactics, and is a much more fun game to play IMO. I don't want to waste any more time trying to "hold an objective".

Forge World is just in a love affair with "30K" right now. Aside from a lot of sexy monsters and greater demons, they haven't ever done much with fantasy, other than chaos dwarfs.

-I played a game last weekend with a guy from England who say his friends in UK say September is the release.

- As for two rulebooks at once, 40k is the odd man out here. They release a book every 4 years, been 4 for WHFB but only 2 for 40k. So 40K got a book ahead of schedule, for business purposes IMO. Aside from some slight re-balancing, and making a WHFB-esque magic phase, the main reason for the new rule book is to break the alliance restrictions and to say "play with whatever as long as your opponent agrees". This does two primary things fro buisness: it makes it much easier to buy models as gifts for people, and releases the restrictions on what models you can buy. Sure I play Necrons, but now i can buy 5 boxes of Tyranids, Dark Eldar, etc. to create "detachments" as supplements to my Necrons.

I think the reason for 2 books in a year is that both (WHFB, 40k) will include these new rules in order to boost sales.

WHFB, on the other hand, is 4 years old and needs more than a slight re-balancing. This leads to rumors of "throwing all old books out", combined armybooks, complete rule overhauls, etc.

- I think they designed the last 2-5 books for 9th, and these races will see no armybook changes. The special rules, the way phases work, the way magic works etc. might get a big upheaval, but I doubt it. I think the rules will get simplified, the armybooks combined and a lot of in-depth rebalancing for any army that hasn't had a rule book in over 2 years:

Bretonnia (rumored 2014), Beastmen, Skaven, Orcs & gobs (rumored w/ box set), TK, VC, Empire (rumored w/ box set), WoC.

I wouldn't be surprised if all or most of these gut released in a big new shiny combined army book.

- For the elf/dwarf attacks thing, sounds like they are simplifying attacks. no need to count models. instead of "fighting in two ranks" you roll 2D6 to determine how many attacks you get in that round. Dwarves get 1D6 for some reason, and elves which often fight in 3 ranks get 3D6. hordes probably get 6D6.

- There's also rumors that 40k/WHFB will share special rules and work more similar now. maybe that's why they rearranged a magic phase for 40k. not sure but i hope this is not true. Also they are making WHFB weapons have tables now like 4ok, but that sounds like a step towards more confusion rather than simplicity.

- Units are apparently not getting movement. I think what they will do is say that infantry moves 4", Monstrous & swarms move 6", mounts & war beasts move 8".

just sounds like they are trying to remove individual rules and try to group units up into similar categories in order to simplify.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sep 16, 2010
Sunderland, United Kingdom

Yeh, thats not happening.
They bring out far to much gear for it, it makes up between 35% - 40% of their profit and if another company fills the gap it makes them a strong contending rival.
Sometimes business is not about making money so much as making sure your competition does not make money.

Either way I don't see a new 9th edition coming out before the years end at earliest.

Forge World however is not dropping fantasy, it is just working on the Heresy because GW like money more than their fan base, once it wears down they will readjust again, you have got to remember, they have allot of models we have not been shown yet along with the book ready to go, its just been getting delayed again and again.

We will have Blackfire pass eventually damn it!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu