A Questions!

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Draykorinee

Grave Guard
Sep 10, 2014
213
Zombies
142
My friend constantly uses canons, and he always shoots point blank at the floor hoping for a bounce, it seems the most stupid and illogical use of a cannon from a real world pov, but it seems to work wonders in warhammer, is this legal? Its cost me more than my fair share of troops.
 
Yea, the cannon mechanics don't really make sense. You select a point on the ground you aim at, roll an artillery die and add that many inches, this is the spot the cannon ball land. You then roll a second artillery die, which determines the number of inches the cannon ball bounces. This length is the only distance from barrel to stop where it actually does damage.

The normal way of using cannons is to say that you aim 10" from the back edge of the base of the thing you want to shot at, since that gives you the highest chance of actually hitting it.
 
Meh, Okay, guess I best just get used to it then.

Tbh my friend keeps making mistakes that wind me up as hes our most experienced, he reckoned I couldn't overrun unless I had an enemy to over run in too and that I couldn't take a look out sir roll unless I had 5 rank and file models at the front...I have since found out that I could have done both, potentially saving me the game :P
 
Sad to hear that. Always annoying to find out after the game that you lost only cause the rules were read incorrectly. I once had my vampire lord killed by a warplighting cannon, shooting a bunch of slaves she was in combat with (actual rules in the book make you randomize each hit if they are in combat). Only to find out she would have lived when I later checked the FAQ (templates hit what they hit, so only slaves would have been hit).
 
I face cannons a lot as my brother plays an empire gunline a lot! But if I know I'm playing it it's an easy win for vc if you have enough models to spend most of your points on core, it's the only game where your core isn't a tax ;)
Those cannons and even the volley guns do very little to 150 zombies, 150 skeletons and 50 ghouls ;)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Draykorinee
Meh, Okay, guess I best just get used to it then.

Tbh my friend keeps making mistakes that wind me up as hes our most experienced, he reckoned I couldn't overrun unless I had an enemy to over run in too and that I couldn't take a look out sir roll unless I had 5 rank and file models at the front...I have since found out that I could have done both, potentially saving me the game :tongue:

Overrunning is actually only done when no troops are left. Otherwise it is pursuing.

Also you do need 5 rank and file in order to talk a look out sir. It's at the bottom of the rule on page 93 of the brb.

Edit: i reread and 5 at the front? How would that even make sense? You'd have to be at minimum 6 wide to be any safer then not being in the unit.
 
Yeah, he misread it I guess, makes no sense :tongue: Mind you, neither does blasting a canonball in to the ground!

Well you see the point at the ground is just the cannons laser targeting. But it has to account for wind and distance so the laser won't ever be directly on the targeted unit.

Also yes cannons are broken.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Draykorinee
If I want my lord to go with my blood knights but not be general, if i give him a different lore than vamp my master necro can be my general in my foot sloggers?
 
If I want my lord to go with my blood knights but not be general, if i give him a different lore than vamp my master necro can be my general in my foot sloggers?

Depends who you ask. I say yes, many say no. Your best bet is to call it an undead legion army and solve the problem quick and cleanly.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Draykorinee
Just a quick clarification that I always wondered about. Cannons have to have direct line of sight to the spot on the ground they are targeting right?
 
When I successfully cast raise dead, how do they raise, is it blocks of 5 wide or can I expand the width more? This is my own personal question thread so it might get bumped occasionally!
 
Okay, my last game had a few questions, if a a unit has declared a charge, but then actually cant charge because the unit in front failed a charge what happens to the unit?
I told my friend that my extra weapon doesn't get the +1 str bonus from sword of might but he didn't believe me, am I right?
Also I had 4 characters in a 5 row unit, I assumed my characters were at the front, not the musicians and SB, any rule on this in the BRB?
 
1. If the second unit charged against the same unit as the first one did, then both units move at the same time, one failed would not block the other.
1. If they were different units, then yeah, it blocks.
2. Normally you can't take a normal weapon and a magic one. If the extra hand weapon was legal, then you are right.
3. Your unit champ, banner, and musician always have to be in the front rank. If your rank was five wide, that would be 2 chars in front and two in the second rank. However, if at the start of combat, you want a char in the second rank to move up, he can make way.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu