Another Nightshroud rule quesiton.

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
Sep 26, 2014
95
Zombies
91
I was having a discussion with my friend who play Dwarfs.

Does the Nightshroud negate the Rune of Might?

Rune of Might:
A weapon engraved with a Rune of Might doubles its
wielder’s Strength against foes of Toughness 5 or higher in
close combat.

We agreed that he would lose the strength bonus although he was not happy with the decision. His argument wast that it is the wielder's strength that gets doubled (from 4 to 8) and since the Nightshroud only affects weapons, he should still be a S8.

Who was right and how should it be played?
 
It negates the strength bonuses from weapons, magical or mundane. The rune gave the weapon the bonus to double his strength, not him, therefore it would cancel the bonus.

You played it right because if I'm remembering correctly the runes boost the equipment, rather than being a bonus to the user like the pot of str. There should be no question here really.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LordTobiothan
The bigger argument is to whether "doubling strength" is a "strength bonus." Some people argue that only things such as "+2 Strength" are bonuses, and items that "set" the bearer's strength at a certain level are not "bonuses" per se. Which is crap as far as I'm concerned, but I've seen it ruled that way in FAQs before (including the US Masters FAQ).
 
Interestingly the ETC FAQ deals with this and does differentiate between bonuses (ie +2 str or double str) and setting a value (ie fellblade at str 10).

24.3. Q: Nightshroud. Is setting the Strength to a certain value a Strength bonus? Is doubling your Strength (Rune of Might)?
A: No.Yes.

Obviously not official GW but still a ruling. Personally I think intent is that it works on items weapons that set your strength too.
 
If I played against someone with that rune I would say sorry, nightshroud negates it. I don't think there is any argument against it.
 
Ya 'bonus' isn't a defined term in the rule book so it has to be applied any weapon with an effect that allows the model to strike at a strength above the one written in his unit entry.
 
personally, if a weapon sets the bearers strength at a certain strength like the fellblade, that is the weapon providing bonus stat points on top of the users strength stat. I disagree with the above non official ruling.
 
Nightshroud doesn't work on things like Potion of strength, but any "weapon effect" that increases a model's strength, is negated. So whether it increases the S by one or two, or doubles the strength, if the "weapon" is the item that confers it, then Nightshroud negates that.

At Lost Souls GT, it was ruled that Nightshroud negated Fellblade and some Demon thing, too.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu