Anyone else very interested in Kings of War all of a sudden?

Tawg

Vampire Count
True Blood
I have to admit, the only real concern I have is how one-sided the turns are. With no (or few) saves to make, no charge reactions, and barely any models to remove, players have very little to keep them interested during their opponents turn.

EDIT: Although having said that, the quick nature of the game means turns don't last as long as they do in WHFB.

You know, that's one of my biggest issues with Warmahords. Like Emicrania said, it feels a lot like chess, it's just not interactive feeling. I mean obviously you are interacting, but it's VERY different. Malifaux has very back-and-forth interaction, with taking turns between activations, which I like. Warmahords (And KoW if it is how you guys have been describing), is more like setting up and watching what happens. I'm not nearly as big of a fan of that.

Emicrania

Wight King
You know, that's one of my biggest issues with Warmahords. Like Emicrania said, it feels a lot like chess, it's just not interactive feeling. I mean obviously you are interacting, but it's VERY different. Malifaux has very back-and-forth interaction, with taking turns between activations, which I like. Warmahords (And KoW if it is how you guys have been describing), is more like setting up and watching what happens. I'm not nearly as big of a fan of that.

I would wait August when the 2.0 comes out,but so far it feels like the kind of game I would play with ALL my minis.
Is fast and easy to set up a 200mini game and don't take up a day to finish it.
I haven't tried using some math,but it feels like the game could be flatened easily, so again,characterization is a really important part of tabletop game. We'll see,imo is still 100 times more entertaining than ao$

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Any game has a certain amount of downtime while your opponent does stuff. Sometimes that can be a few seconds, sometimes it might be longer. There are a couple of things your opponent can do during your turn in KoW, but not much. So it's really just a spectator thing. But it seems like the turns are much quicker than WHFB so while there's less going on in your opponents turn, there's probably less actual waiting over all.

One of the things I actually quite like about KoW is that flavour comes from the models and the players imagination, not special rules. I've long been a proponent of that style of wargaming where the individual rules don't actually matter, and if you want to run unit X, then you don't actually need rules to do that, you can just put unit X on the table and call it a day. IMO, this only falls down if the rules are either so generic as to be totally boring (and I don't think that is the case here, there is a fair range of diversity and different abilities in each list) or where unit X is so unique that it has no suitable analogue (in terms of rules) to represent it.

For instance, I will be using my Hexwraith cavalry from WHFB, as Wraith infantry in KoW. Because both units move at the same speed, have similar rules, a similar footprint (or they will with some careful re-basing), etc. So despite the fact that there is no ethereal cavalry in KoW, I can still use my Hexies.

Similarly, my Mortis Engine becomes a Revenant King on an Undead Wyrm with wings. Because of the single profile, I can strip away the 'revenant king' title and all I have is a model that flies, is decent in combat, and provides support for nearby undead units. That sounds a lot like a Mortis Engine to me!

Razorfate

Skeleton
I played with my undead army allied with demons against elves and kingdom of men.
Each side played for 7 turns and the game was both fast and fun to play with the game coming and going to each side's advantage each turn.

I've felt the armies and units within armies were balanced. Each unit both in our and our opponents' armies were useful in someway.

What matters most is all the players had great fun with the game and this will definitely be future for our gaming group.

Draykorinee

Grave Guard
I'm amazed at how pleasant and forthcoming Daedle is on here, yet on the official forums hes constantly defensive and arrogant about 'his' rules. I am interested in KoW but a lot of the community really thinks a lot of itself.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
I'm amazed at how pleasant and forthcoming Daedle is on here, yet on the official forums hes constantly defensive and arrogant about 'his' rules. I am interested in KoW but a lot of the community really thinks a lot of itself.

It's natural to feel defensive and afraid when you perceive attacks to something you're invested in.

And it's natural to interpret peoples opinions of something as an attack, when that opinion isn't the same as yours. It's a natural instinct to say "No, you're wrong, and here's why..."

Having said that, it's not a good trait in someone who's supposed to be an ambassador for the community. I've found MOST of the community are pretty good, there's definitely some who are in the "This is OUR game, hands off!" camp though.

Draykorinee

Grave Guard
It's natural to feel defensive and afraid when you perceive attacks to something you're invested in.

And it's natural to interpret peoples opinions of something as an attack, when that opinion isn't the same as yours. It's a natural instinct to say "No, you're wrong, and here's why..."

Having said that, it's not a good trait in someone who's supposed to be an ambassador for the community. I've found MOST of the community are pretty good, there's definitely some who are in the "This is OUR game, hands off!" camp though.

Yup, he keeps seeing these invisible attacks, sure people are saying I don't like this because...but so what? I don't like a lot of things about warhammer, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the game still.

Last edited:

owain_b

Ghoul
I haven't played kow, but I've watched a few games and my only concern is (from my very limited experience) units seem to be very easily routed. You get charged and you lose, it's like earlier versions of Warhammer pre 8th, and I think that was one of the best improvements of 8th.
As I said I have very little experience with kow, just what I've seen in the few games I've watched so far.
Looks like hordes and legions are the only things that will survive a charge or a couple of rounds of shooting without being routed.

Razorfate

Skeleton
Does not it make sense? If your troops are few, poor defence and not tough, they will likeley flee when charged or got shot at. If your units are not tough, you have to count on high numbers.

Draykorinee

Grave Guard
Does not it make sense?

497sj3akr8x20317bwdmu0vd5.960x720x1.jpg