• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Are we going to see death this year?

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
Hrm. I was hoping they'd re-pack them in a box of 20, at a slightly discounted price compared to buying two boxes of the previous. Oh, well, at least they're not raising the price right now.

Likely means we'll be seeing a deathrattle battle tome sooner rather than later. I just hope we get some actual new models with it this time. i don't really see that faction being very viable on its own without monsters, monstrous heroes, or spellcasters.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
Hrm. I was hoping they'd re-pack them in a box of 20, at a slightly discounted price compared to buying two boxes of the previous. Oh, well, at least they're not raising the price right now.

Likely means we'll be seeing a deathrattle battle tome sooner rather than later. I just hope we get some actual new models with it this time. i don't really see that faction being very viable on its own without monsters, monstrous heroes, or spellcasters.
WELL.... There are Deathrattle wizards, monsters, and heroes. The million dollar mystery is the fate of Tomb Kings units.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
there are no deathrattle wizards, nor are there deathrattle monstrous heroes, even if you include tomb kings. There is one deathrattle non-hero monster in the tomb kings compendium, though.

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Yes, the skellies really could use some help, although they need not that much - just more heroes and monsters or war machines. Maybe they will get zombie dragons? Who knows.

Borgnine

Staff member
True, my point was more that, given that GW is supporting a game with round bases, the simple fact that you can still buy square bases is good.
I think that's only as long as they still have them stored somewhere - someday they'll run out. That's why I always buy some of them every time I order something from GW

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
I guess that they opted to keep the Skeletons in a box of ten because large unit sizes are not as necessary for Age of Sigmar as they were for Fantasy. I could be mistaken about this, but that's how it seems to me.

Regarding square bases, I wish that they still came with that option in the box, however, an alternative to buying square bases is to make them from thick card.

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
I guess that they opted to keep the Skeletons in a box of ten because large unit sizes are not as necessary for Age of Sigmar as they were for Fantasy. I could be mistaken about this, but that's how it seems to me.
It seems so to me also, but they make some boxes with 20 figures like blood reavers or kairic acolytes, and I wonder why it is not a case of the skeletons who needs even more large numbers.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
That's a fair point. Perhaps it is a legacy issue? Did those units (under their old names for Fantasy) come in boxes of twenty?

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Hard to say - blood reavers are essentially Khorne marauders, they are new in this form but marauders themselves were in Fantasy and are present now, and they do have 20 men in the box. Tzeentch acolytes are completely new but, again, they are like marauders, basic rank and file infantry, so come also in 20. And our skeletons were repackaged as 10 models back in the day, so maybe if we get new skeleton release they can come in 20 again.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
It definitely seems like a legacy issue to me in that case. It also does make it rather frustrating because I do agree that a boxed set of twenty would be better.

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Bestimmt. In AoS you can be very comfortable with small units but skeletons are still quite fragile and could use an advantage of higher numbers, so I am frustrated too. Although it's good that they are not necessary and we can use, for example, grave guard who are good also in small numbers.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
Indeed, I remember buying a boxed set of ten Ghouls for Fantasy, so that's a very important point you've just made. In the light of this, I really don't understand why GW has left the Skeleton boxed set at ten models.

In the light of this, I really don't understand why GW has left the Skeleton boxed set at ten models.
I can only try to guess a reason.
A box of 10 skellies comes at £ 15.50.
Knowing GW, a box of 20 would be £ 31.00

Who wants to buy 20 warriors, will just pick 2 boxes, while a single box of 10 skeletons is still good for anyone that already got plenty of them, and just need to replace some broken model

Skeletons are one of the few units that really benefit from large units. At 10, they don't even get their +1 attack bonus, and they could be wiped out from an average number of attacks before their banner can kick in.

I really want to see how & where the new Shadespire skeletons are going to fit in the AoS unit organizational structure.