Army Showcase: the Nomads of Kastelai

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Nomad

Zombie
Feb 20, 2024
10
Zombies
13
Hi all,

I'm going to bother you with this thread to show you my army so far and the progress through this journey. For the time being I've stopped with the purchasing and have promised myself I will paint what I have before I buy more (to be honest, I started saying this when i had a mere 1k points and now its up to 3k5 in AoS units.. so... we're hanging in there).

As with every project, I try to add something new to make them different. With this, I wanted to employ the Contrast+ method as well, and try out the rolling pins from GreenStuff World, to make some unique bases. I added a bit of snow for dramatic effect.

It all started with the Cursed City boxed set from which I grabbed the Ulfenwatch (skellies) and Watch Captain Halgrim (a Wight King or just another mere skeleton, depending on the narrative):

IMG-20240222-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20240222-WA0028.jpg


And also the Vargskyr:

IMG-20240222-WA0022.webp

IMG-20240222-WA0023.jpg



I followed up with some wolves, as they seemed quite straightforward to paint but also could pack a visible punch:
1708955871484.jpeg


But of course.. we're Kastelai so... had to eventually get my head down, vampire up and paint some Blood Knights (I have just realized I left the banner unpainted for those.. last things to do, same with the other unit and have to get cracking but oh well.. we can consider them BattleReady):

IMG-20240222-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20240222-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20240222-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20240222-WA0019.jpg
IMG-20240222-WA0021.jpg
 
I know my army so far is not too infantry heavy. But man, I do love the characters that we've got (must say that I'm not a big fan of the Vrykos that have popped out in AoS, but hey.. you've got to respect your fellow vamp).

I do love the Cado Ezechiar mini though:

IMG-20240222-WA0003.webp

IMG-20240222-WA0016.webp

IMG-20240222-WA0014.webp


With all the renewal of the minis, I dind't want to get my hands on the "old" start collecting with the grave guard and black knights just to grab myself the Wight King on Steed. But thankfully they did release him alone after much waiting :_)
IMG-20240222-WA0007.webp


IMG-20240222-WA0006.webp



Following the same chain of thought with regards to the old minis. I got myself an STL file and printed our a Dragon to go with my very slightly converted Vampire Lord. Not a bit fan of unhelmeted heads in war...

IMG-20240222-WA0004.webp

IMG-20240222-WA0008.webp

IMG-20240222-WA0011.webp



And to end up.. a family picture I took before the finishing the Vampire Lord and adding the Wight King (flash doesn't make much justice.. but they look all nice bunched up):

IMG-20240222-WA0012.webp



I'm currently finishing up the Sons of Velmorn warband from underworlds and a Vengorian Lord.
And to finish with the army I would have 20 skellies, 5 additional Blood Knights and 3 Vargheist.

Oh, and also the Shambling Undead team of Blood Bowl.. You never know when you might need some extra "proxy" bodies ! Got some pictures of those as well if people are interested.


Hope you enjoy!
 
Wow! What an absolutely stunning army! Well done! I'm especially impressed with the verdigris on the skeletons and your colour saturation on the Vargskyr!
Many thanks! verdigris is just Nihilax Oxide from Citadel diluted with some medium and always repeating in your head "less is more, less is more, less is more".
And the Vargskyr is just contrasts and some highlights. I would love to remember the recipe, but I just started slaping on paint and dont have the exact ration. But I am indeed satisfied with the result. Will try again with some Vargheists.
 
  • Love
Reactions: The Sun King

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu