• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

TobiasRathein

Black Knight
Feb 27, 2012
I play against my friend's VC army at least twice a weak. We aren't good at dealing with regen spam or scream lists.

Aedin

Black Knight
Oct 23, 2011
TobiasRathein said:
I play against my friend's VC army at least twice a weak. We aren't good at dealing with regen spam or scream lists.

Necromancer eating varghulfs are great at killing most denial lists.

However, if its a lvl 4 combat lord then it might come down to a mirror challenge and the dice roll.

Banshee's got you down ? Assassinate those hags with death magic.

Demian

Vampire Count
Oct 28, 2011
Against other VC... I dunno, Coven Throne? maybe? You can easily get any unit to kill itself, and the throne has a nice damage output.

Death Magic to kill the Terrorgheists / Banshees / hurt Varghulfs.

Also, VL might be better than a Ghoul king (on a barded steed or at high points, the Coven Throne itself!)

Hexwraiths can clear dogs... protect from Vargheists as well

And since VC armies depend on their characters, I'd go for a challenger Wight King against heroes. Killing blows can end the game very quickly.

rothgar13

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jan 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Given that VC can put more than one flavor of list on the table, it honestly depends on what was brought. That said, an army with Gheists generally beats one without them (VC does NOT deal with a flying monster that doesn't have to be in combat to kill stuff well), and there aren't many tools to counter Regen outside of screams and the flaming banner, and even then the former just relies on putting out enough wounds that you can't make all the saves.

Gojira

Skeleton
Feb 12, 2012
If you have any finecast in your VC army the biggest threat would be a luminark of hysh. Direct sunlight wrecks that stuff. ^_^

kevin.hopkins7

Black Knight
May 21, 2011
Houston,Tx
I think a large threat to us is the Ogre Item Hellheart. If you cannot kill the one who carries it(and you may have 2+ possible choices in a closed list). It can wreak havoc on us terribly, no matter what kind of list you run. Purple sun and pit of shades can help eliminate the ogre carrying it, and death magic as well. But if he is in the unit with the general..his ld is 9....his str and toughness are high too. Death magic can fail easily.

1.The blackknight bus/deathstar can take quite a pounding from this. If your characters are not right next to each other(and if they are next to each other its worse), the 3 or so miscasts you suffer on that one unit can still suck. All of your characters will be in range of the helheart. You will have one round of probably no power dice....your blackknights will prolly all die...and you may even lose a vamp or two OR your lord.

2.SGK with master necro in ghoul horde. A large template on one of these chars can take out a *#$@ton of ghouls. Losing one to the warp can suck as well.(This happened to me last game against ogres)

3.Mortis engine list..if your taking the tome..can be super devastating. I know lots of the players on here who use the engine do not take the tome(good idea against ogres). This circumstance happened to me the last time I used an engine. He popped the hellheart in my magic phase..all of my characters were in range, and also in range of the mortis engine. That means each had to suffer the tome's effect during this miscast. It was not pretty.

My 2 cents, (cursed hellheart!)

Zombieboy

Skeleton
Feb 27, 2011
I can't believe anyone hasn't brought up our biggest threat.

Bretonian Peasants.....

They are even dirtier then our zombies!

Burnanation

Crypt Horror
Mar 29, 2010
Woodstock VA
For a VC mirror match we're thinking blender lord or Terrorghiest?

OK forgot about the hellheart that thing is gross. Any counters to that?

Skinks can't be the scariest thing in the lizzie army. What else is out there that keeps your vampire lords up at day?

Any changes to the master list in post one and why?

Vipoid

Necromancer
Apr 27, 2012
Speaking personally, the things I hate fighting are:

Daemons:
- Greater Daemons (very strong and hard to kill - generally I just have a terrorghiest scream at them and hope for the best).
- Bloodletters (aside from being able to mince virtually anything in their path, they all have killing blow, so my vampire/vampire lord takes a big risk by engaging them, and with a 5+ ward save and magic resistance, they can't even be easily whittled by magic. I really wish we could have skeletal archers...)

Ogres:
- Thundertusk (having your guys strike after ogres really doesn't help)

High Elves:
Teclis Teclis Teclis Teclis Teclis Teclis Teclis Teclis Teclis

Warriors of Chaos:
- Chaos Sorcerer with Infernal Puppet (yes, I would like to try casting a spell with my ~500pt Lord, when my opponent can modify any miscast result by d3...)

Orcs and Goblins:
- Grimgor Ironhide (I'm not fond of fighting anything that can beat my vampire lord in combat, and Grimgor is basically a cheap vampire lord, but with WS8, ASF, hatred, S7 (8 the first round of combat), and a 1+/5++ save.)

Elbisrever

Ghoul
Dec 12, 2011
Well, if you know yer gonna fight Grimgor, then there is a very simple solution: Nightshroud.

It reduces him to str 5 all the time, and he loses his ASF rule. Still a tough nut to crack, but a whole lot less scary

propervillanz

Skeleton
Jul 27, 2012
McKinleyville
Deamons= say by by to ethereals and if they have a greater deamon it is going to be a long day.

Dwarf castle + Anvil= when it is hitting on all notes it has the potential to bring your army to a standstill

Skaven cheese in abundance (Doom Wheel, HPA, Furnace, Bell, 13th Spell)= will make you very second guess yourself to the point that you loose the game all on your own.

eggsPR

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 28, 2011
Dublin
What scares me the most is:

Book of Hoeth/Lore of Light with extra lvl 1's which pumps up Banishments
Lore of Death if I'm running duel Crypt Horror lists
Greater Daemons
HE Star Dragons
Hellheart
Black Guard/Executioners with the Cauldron hanging around... lvl 4 with shadow also sucks
Gut stars

Not scared of the Kadai... killed one today in 2 turns with 8 Horrors... poison attacks wreck it (even ghouls) bc u don't need to reroll to wound when rolling 6's to hit... Van Hels the unit and bye-bye Kadaii. Sure it has a ward save but u can't save them all.

rothgar13

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jan 26, 2012
Philadelphia
That said, stripping the Thunderstomps from it does take a lot of the sting from its offense, but I'd rather hold it up with something that it either can't wound on a 2+ or has a 2+ Ward vs. flaming.

eggsPR

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 28, 2011
Dublin
rothgar13 said:
That said, stripping the Thunderstomps from it does take a lot of the sting from its offense, but I'd rather hold it up with something that it either can't wound on a 2+ or has a 2+ Ward vs. flaming.

In fairness an unlucky meltdown which inflicted 2 wounds on itself before I charged it kinda helped me out as well :thumbsup:

Oh and I don't like double Slann lists... particularly a Death/Shadow combo with 2 blocks of saurus warriors... ugh.

Jan 2, 2009
Newcastle
A Slann with at least 3 disciplines gives me a few headaches. Chaos Warriors always get me, I can kill anything else a chaos player can throw at me but as soon as I meet combat with the warrior blocks it's game over. Dark elf elites buffed either by the cauldron or magic (both is horrendous) is seriously hard. Doomwheels and Hell Pits I hate with a passion, just the fact they can turn in any direction and charge and dish out serious damage is plain stupid.

gilbo12345

Skeleton
Oct 20, 2012
Aspiring Executioner said:
Doomwheels and Hell Pits I hate with a passion, just the fact they can turn in any direction and charge and dish out serious damage is plain stupid.

They have a special rule that allows that? Or is that the new 8th ed stuff?

Doomwheels were always high on my "to hate" list, they are way too cheap for what they do. Sure Skaven is a horde army, but a horde army with rifles, miniguns and flamethrowers when all else have bows and arrors, (or loud yelling in our case), seems way too OTT.

von Rosentod

Zombie
Apr 4, 2012
gilbo12345 said:
They have a special rule that allows that?

It's Random Move. Give the model a direction by pivoting and roll the required dice to determine the length of the move. If it comes into contact with an enemy model it's a charge, no response but hold allowed.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu