Black Knight Conversion Idea

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Shadoweyed

Zombie
Oct 7, 2008
45
Zombies
33
So I currently have some Bretts that I am going to turn into a unit of Black Knights for my loosely Lich King based army, and I was thinking of making some Orc Wolf Riders my second unit of Black Knights. I have two of the six Orc's on Wolves currently as they were going to be my Goblin Wolf Riders Champs, but don't really care to mess anymore with Goblins.

Is there anything I should be weary of? Thoughts and ideas are always welcome.

-Shadoweyed
 
well ive done my own unit of bretonian black knights and the only thing i would warn you against is how you paint them
i painted mine all in a black colour scheme, not only did it take ages but it felt slightly monotonous
seriously
batch painting these things almost put me to sleep
the main models werent so bad
but the horses all have the same cloth and design so i felt like i was getting no where
so you may want to go for the propper bretonian colour schemes (lots of different colours)

modelling there isnt too much you should be worried about
i used all of the helmets to create the image of a faceless malevolance that cannot be reasoned with, except for the commander and the musician
the musician got a screaming skull and a trumpet because i thought it was ironically funny
and the unit champion got a nice bretonian face so that it looks like he was preserved because hes worthy of the vampire's favour
 
Orcs as black knights, eh? It might work, but in that case make sure those orcs are somewhat armoured (maybe use some black orc parts) because fleshy black knights... Well they're not skeletal to put it that way :D.

An option is to paint them ethereal of course.
 
Thank you guys for the feedback. I'll be finishing at least one Orc Black Knight up and try to post it.

-Shadoweyed
 
The ork warriors box includes an orc skull according to bitzbox. If you could gather enough of them, using them instead of the normal orc heads would be just sweet.
 
spla5hmummy said:
The ork warriors box includes an orc skull according to bitzbox. If you could gather enough of them, using them instead of the normal orc heads would be just sweet.

This one?

image.php
 
I have a sneak peak of what I had in mind for my Orc Black Knights. I am steering away from the skeletal effect, it isn't my favorite.

ai220.photobucket.com_albums_dd205_shadoweyed9_Vampire_20Counts_DSCN0079.webp


Tell me what you think.

-Shadoweyed
 
Because it moves faster than the boars that he's used to perhaps? :)

Anyway, the rider does look a bit large compared to the mount but you could always steer any objections away with "It's magic!", heheh.
 
I like it. Because the orc is so big compared to the wolf it has something funny about it.

And by the way, since when did a broken back prevent a dire wolf/ skeletal steed from running? :P
 
Baslakor said:
I like it. Because the orc is so big compared to the wolf it has something funny about it.

And by the way, since when did a broken back prevent a dire wolf/ skeletal steed from running? :P

Both true. It's a funny sight. It doesn't really look like undead to me - though that's the fickle world called Warhammer.

Why are there 2 sticks on his back? Will it be the unit's standard bearer?
 
hey that looks great
especialy once you paint it etherial
whats great about undead is that you dont have to wound the models technically you could just say that they were killed with magic!
 
Thanks for all the comments. I have to agree that the wolves are a bit small, and if I get around to getting Dire Wolves or Chaos Warhounds, I'll remount the orcs on them. I seem to like orcs on wolves much more that boars. :mrgreen:

One of the ideas in my army is that my Lord pulls a large base of his elites from the slain of other armies he has faced. He also tries to keep gear in good order, for any elites at least.

Anyway, in response to what is on the guys back, it is a pair of axes. I geared these guys out in a sense.
ai220.photobucket.com_albums_dd205_shadoweyed9_Vampire_20Counts_DSCN0082.webp

ai220.photobucket.com_albums_dd205_shadoweyed9_Vampire_20Counts_DSCN0081.webp


-Shadoweyed
 
If this unit will be a good alternative for the classic BK all depends on how you paint them. However, I do not think that it will be very hard to paint him undead and BK-worthy :D
 
Holding comments until I see him painted.. I don't think I would have a very good undead paint job in me for that but I'm far from the best painter around. In fact I'm quite the beginner so please post when completed. I'd love to see the final product.
 
Yeah I'm the same, will have to wait to see it painted before giving a true opinion on it.

At the moment, it just doesn't seem very undead. I don't see anything different than what I would see with a normal Orc, and being a fan of the fluff aspect of the game, I'm not a fan of the undead Orcz/gobbos concept armies.
 
The Dark Sheep said:
Maybe he mounted the wolf after he died

Even dead orcs need to get laid xd xd

To be honest, I can't say it looks too good at the mo. It does not look dead, plus it looks unbalanced and out of proportion.

However, I will wait to see it painted, as a good paint job can completely change how something looks.
 
I started painting one of my riders. Tell me what you think so far.

ai220.photobucket.com_albums_dd205_shadoweyed9_Vampire_20Counts_DSCN0085.webp

ai220.photobucket.com_albums_dd205_shadoweyed9_Vampire_20Counts_DSCN0083.webp


I intend to paint the wolf that it looks like the running actions is showing his true ethereal nature, so only his face/ front will show any sign of being insubstantial. Everything else is still Work in Progress though.

-Shadoweyed
 
I don't think Shadoweyed is trying to make the BK ethereal, I think he's just trying to make it look like pale Greenskin flesh.
I stand by my original statement, however; it looks more like a Boar Boy sitting on a wolf. It needs to look more 'dead'.
 
Could you not cut him up, GS some bone showing, just something so he looks other than a anaemic Orc? I like the concept you have thought of, I just think currently the model looks too alive.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu