Black Periapt

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Vipoid

Necromancer
Apr 27, 2012
873
Zombies
688
I'm interested to know what people think of the Black Periapt?

I play at 2000pts, and have generally stuck with a Vampire Lord or Ghoul King for my general, so I had no room for a MN (or Black Periapt).

But, I recently decided to give the MN a go instead, and equipped him with the BP. As our 55pt arcane item, I thought it would tip the balance considerably in my favour.

However, it just didn't seem to do much. I used its effect a few times but the extra 2 dice just didn't seem to make much difference.

Has anyone else had similar experiences, or do you find it far more useful than I did?
 
I like the item. I also liked it better when it was half as powerful and 1/3 the cost. The black pariapt is a great item that just costs 20 points or so too much. I like the flexibility of it, but have difficulty putting it in my lists. I can't put it on a vampire lord, he needs to many points in defensive equipment. I can't put it on a necromancer, he can only use 50 points of magic items.

That means I can put it on either Master Necromancers (not bad) or Ghoul Kings (kind of a waste considering he is level 1). If I was taking a master Necromancer as a general, something I don't normally do, I would consider taking the item. Since I don't do that often, I rarely take it.
 
It was a mainstay in my lists when it was 15 points, hell it was gold back in the day.

This army book whilst there is a place for it, it is costed for lords only. I cannot justify having bp on my vamp lord, in a 2 mn list perhaps.
 
I like to mix up my Vampire lord and give him Master of the Black arts, with the periapt and the talisman of preservation. On a good turn where you have stored two power dice and you re-roll a 1 or a 2 for the winds of magic; it can be very powerful. Nothing better than rolling a 6 and a 1 for the winds; than re-rolling that 1 and getting a 5, plus the 2 dice you stored.
 
I like this item as it allows you to be more strategic with the magic phase.
For example if you fail at casting something and your opponent has more dispell dice left then you have power you can save your dice instead of wasting them on a spell that will be dispelled with 90% certainty.
Also if your opponent wastes his dice or fails to cast you can save your dispell dice and use them as power dice so you don't waste them.

Unfortunately the cost of the item prevents me from using it very often. I like to take it on a MN but I rearely find the points to do so.
 
It's definitely too expensive.

However , in addition to the above posters, It's also useful in those situations where your opponent throws his last 6 power dice at dwellers or mindrazor, and gets IF, at least you can save a few of your now useless dispel dice.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu