• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Vipoid

Necromancer
Apr 27, 2012
Consider this Doombull build:

- Heavy Armour and Shield
- Sword of Swift Slaying
- Ramhorn Helm
- Dawnstone
- Gnarled Hide

(So it has ASF, a 1+ rerollable armour save and gets an extra attack whenever it makes its save).

I guess what concerns me most is that, even with Ogre Blade on a VL or SGK, he's still getting a 5+ rerollable armour save.

Basically, I'm curious as to whether anyone would put their Blender Lord against him?

Pantsmansoy

Zombie
May 12, 2012
In that situation, I'd probably hope that he challenges so I could accept with my unit champion xD

I think our Blender lord would have a decent chance of beating him - but only if mounted and with a 4+ ward. There is a chance we could get lucky and kill him first turn (depending what spells we've got off) - but even if we don't kill him first turn, he's probably not killing our lord with a 1+, 4+.

Vipoid

Necromancer
Apr 27, 2012
Amusingly, it's one of the very few situations where Master Strike might actually be worth a damn. xD

Narenzade

Wight King
Mar 22, 2012
Fighting a Lord is usually a bad idea since we just want our Lord giving us 8-10 CR.

But a mounted / tricked out Lord probably one on ones almost everything.

Nightreaver

Ghoul
Jun 22, 2013
Narenzade said:
Fighting a Lord is usually a bad idea since we just want our Lord giving us 8-10 CR.

But a mounted / tricked out Lord probably one on ones almost everything.

Maybe except WoC lord and DE lord with black amulet :)

Vipoid

Necromancer
Apr 27, 2012
Nightreaver said:
Maybe except WoC lord and DE lord with black amulet :)

Well, I'm pretty sure a mounted lord could take on both of those.

Admittedly, against a DE Lord with pendant he'll most likely do naff-all the entire game, but he's very unlikely to lose.

A WoC lord... I've never seen them as that threatening - even against an unmounted VL or SGK. Beguile will usually take them down a peg, S7 makes their 1+ armour a lot less scary and OTS makes their 3++ shenanigans far less impenetrable. Nurgle is a pain, although at least VLs will usually get reolls from Quickblood.

Daemon Princes on the other hand... :skull:

Nightreaver

Ghoul
Jun 22, 2013
Pendant of Khaeleth is nice but Black Amulet is way scarier as it bounces back all saved wounds to you. Even if the dreadlord dies, if your VL goes down with him it's a huge win for him both points wise and strategy wise.

Vipoid

Necromancer
Apr 27, 2012
Nightreaver said:
Pendant of Khaeleth is nice but Black Amulet is way scarier as it bounces back all saved wounds to you. Even if the dreadlord dies, if your VL goes down with him it's a huge win for him both points wise and strategy wise.

Well, OTS still gives you pretty decent odds of killing him without dying.

No saves of any kind is scary though.

Still, it's a good reason to send my Ghoul King at him - he never makes his save anyway. :clown:

Oppenheimer

Varghulf
May 26, 2013
I've never played either with or against Beastmen. I heard they were a terrible army but the Doombull sounds pretty good. Looked at his stat block on GW. 5 wounds and 5 toughness is pretty nice. Is he considered a monster?

Vipoid

Necromancer
Apr 27, 2012
Oppenheimer said:
I've never played either with or against Beastmen. I heard they were a terrible army but the Doombull sounds pretty good. Looked at his stat block on GW. 5 wounds and 5 toughness is pretty nice. Is he considered a monster?

Oh my yes.

WS6, S6, 5 wounds, MI. He starts with 5 attacks plus frenzy, and whenever he wins a round of combat he gains an additional attack (he loses them if he loses combat).

Also, ramhorn helm is a cheap item that grants him an immediate extra attack whenever he makes an armour save (and, as above, it's easy to give him a 1+ rerollable save). He can obliterate entire units of infantry - possibly more efficiently than a vampire lord.

With regard to beastmen in general, I really don't think they're a bad army. Their rare section is pretty crap (overpriced monsters mainly). However, they have some decent units and some incredible magic from heardstone (a terrain piece that grants +1 power dice to all friendly wizards in range).

Johnny-Crass

Vampire Ancient
True Blood
Jan 25, 2012
California
Minotaurs are soft and will bleed combat res. unless it is the true mino bus which means we chaff it up and never ever have to fight it

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
May 15, 2008
Keep in mind the solo DB's with the flying carpet cannot join a unit so if you see one on their own, hit him with a TG wail.

Vipoid

Necromancer
Apr 27, 2012
Seneschal said:
Keep in mind the solo DB's with the flying carpet cannot join a unit so if you see one on their own, hit him with a TG wail.

If he has a flying carpet than he doesn't scare me in the slightest - because it means he can't have a 1+ rerollable armour save and his 'extra attack for each passed save' ability.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
I normally run a zombie dragon lord, with quickblood, red fury, lance, and nightshroud. So I'd be dropping about four wounds, then he gets his armour, so he'd make an attack and save a wound, then I'd roll another three attacks and do another wound or two.

With average dice, he should be dead now. But if he's not, he gets to swing needing 5's to hit the lord, or 4's to hit the dragon.

I think a ZD lord should mince him pretty good, but it'd want to considering it's nearly twice the points.

Vipoid

Necromancer
Apr 27, 2012
Blutsauger said:
I normally run a zombie dragon lord, with quickblood, red fury, lance, and nightshroud. So I'd be dropping about four wounds, then he gets his armour, so he'd make an attack and save a wound, then I'd roll another three attacks and do another wound or two.

Actually, he'd make 2 saves and get 2 extra attacks.

A 5+ rerollabe (after strength modifiers) saves 5/9 wounds.

Next turn, assuming he's still alive, he'd have a 3+ rerollable save against your lord (no lance), saving 8/9 wounds.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
Vipoid said:
Blutsauger said:

Actually, he'd make 2 saves and get 2 extra attacks.

A 5+ rerollabe (after strength modifiers) saves 5/9 wounds.

Next turn, assuming he's still alive, he'd have a 3+ rerollable save against your lord (no lance), saving 8/9 wounds.

Ah yes, I forgot the re-rollable part! He'd still lose three wounds from the lord and then have to contend with the dragon itself.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu