• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

dekeduffy

Zombie
Jan 17, 2009
My first warhammer army I'm trying to fully field models for and paint up. Just got back into the hobby after numerous years being out of it. I've got a ton of figs, but not much painted. Usually did a lot of proxy playing. VCs will be my first army I'm going to try and build up to at least 2250 fully painted. So, here is the first 1,000 points or so.

I'm using purples for all things magical. Reds and grays for the majority of the rest. Characters I'm going to try to add more color to make them pop.

The full army so far:
alh5.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SWlF5wfkh9I_AAAAAAAAAFI_KR8bpRI5qKs_s640_DSCN0075.JPG

Cairn wraiths and tomb banshee:
alh3.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SWlHr9sa5PI_AAAAAAAAAGA_zaRiYmSZEPU_s640_DSCN0076.JPG

Crypt Ghouls (I like the green, but I don't know if it clashes with the purples and reds. I've been thinking of redoing them. What do you think?):
alh5.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SWlIic5iEsI_AAAAAAAAAHA_XRpzEpVXg_w_s640_DSCN0080.JPG

Skeletons:
alh5.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SWlIq1xQLKI_AAAAAAAAAHI_Rpkj0_eMDFA_s640_DSCN0081.JPG

Zombies:
alh6.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SWlI3_v17pI_AAAAAAAAAHo_sqRaCGr0IhA_s640_DSCN0085.JPG

Grave Guard (I need to finish the movement tray):
alh5.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SWlHywM4LVI_AAAAAAAAAGE_SgTFxhj5F_A_s640_DSCN0078.JPG

Vampire:
alh3.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SV_VI4I8Q6I_AAAAAAAAAEc_qNhG_Lt_D7A_s512_DSCN0068.JPG

Necromancer on Corpse Cart:
alh4.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SV_VJ5KJhbI_AAAAAAAAAEk_dt9sTczsTtY_DSCN0070.JPG

I actually found some posts and went fully magnetic too. Everything you see on bases is fully magnetized to make it easier for moving, especially since most of the models are so light and kept falling over.

I'd love to get some feedback, or tips. Let me know your thoughts!

Master Vampire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jul 12, 2007
The Netherlands
Nicely done. I'll take your doubt away - the models don't clash. They're all a bit like a natural darkness, not a truely bright color. Though, the models don't really go together as a theme. That's a slight problem overall.

I really like the inking jobs. You might want to do a last highlight, to bring out the top details?

Is there any chance to get a close-up on the Vamp?

Erebus

Zombie
Dec 28, 2008
Looks great! I really like the colors you used for your Zombies' skin. Mind sharing? =)

dictator

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 22, 2008
Same as DS, how could you miss the CC? I think it's great how you've hit the dirty nastiness on the head. Lots of good models in there. Can't wait to see more.

dekeduffy

Zombie
Jan 17, 2009
Folks-

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'm not sure on the Corpse Cart. The link is correct, but for some reason the image breaks. I'll have to try and load up a new pic to make sure it's not corrupt. In the mean-time, I'll try again here:

alh4.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SV_VJ5KJhbI_AAAAAAAAAEk_dt9sTczsTtY_s400_DSCN0070.JPG

If that doesn't work, here is a link in the meantime:
Corpse Cart Link

Nicely done. I'll take your doubt away - the models don't clash. They're all a bit like a natural darkness, not a truely bright color. Though, the models don't really go together as a theme. That's a slight problem overall.

MV - What do you suggest on themes? Are you talking colors, or more modelling?

I really like the inking jobs. You might want to do a last highlight, to bring out the top details?

MV - Which unit(s)?

Is there any chance to get a close-up on the Vamp?

MV - Definitely. I don't have access to my figs right now, but when I do I'll grab a few shots of the Vamp and Necromancer.

Looks great! I really like the colors you used for your Zombies' skin. Mind sharing? =)
Erebus- This is where I am slapping myself. I didn't write down the colors I used!! I'm waiting to pick up another Battallion box so I can paint again.

Most of the models heavily relied on Washes. The zombies skin I think was either Deneb Stone or a light Gray (I'll look at my paints when I'm back home). Then I gave a wash of Thakra green, and topped it off with Badab Black to take away some of the green. I might have washed with Badab Black before the green as well to get the deep areas really dark. I'll have to experiment again on the next group (and then write it down!).

Josef

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Aug 12, 2008
Texas
i like how you have the necromancer riding the pile of bodies...nice work. =)

dictator

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 22, 2008
He looks a lot more sure of himself than what the original model looks like. Very impressive how you pulled to older model perfectly to fit the movement of the model!

Issa Bella

Skeleton
Jan 11, 2009
I'm trying to do the magnetized stuff but am having a hard time finding a thin enough metal for it...

Great look so far!

Bug16

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 30, 2007
The pose for the Necromancer looks great on the Corpse Cart. The rest of your army is looking good as well, and I'll agree with the others and say that the Ghouls being green don't clash.

Btw, I love the guts that've just plopped out on the zombies movement tray. ;)

dekeduffy

Zombie
Jan 17, 2009
As requested, here are some close-up shots of the characters.

alh3.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SZY_xjhWt2I_AAAAAAAAAOE_7VWjzRcuxWE_s512_DSCN0114.JPG alh3.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SZY_1ZE3wOI_AAAAAAAAAOM_k89jw3Bc5qs_s512_DSCN0116.JPG

alh4.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SZY_2zrS5xI_AAAAAAAAAOU_izsQuLMq0tg_s512_DSCN0117.JPG alh5.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SZY_5H_iP3I_AAAAAAAAAOc_zBgcanehCtA_s512_DSCN0118.JPG

alh5.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SZY_6vYsrmI_AAAAAAAAAOk_sKkIcDUhDTo_s512_DSCN0120.JPG alh3.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SZY_81fdg6I_AAAAAAAAAOs_iqHkR6jlN7g_s640_DSCN0121.JPG

alh3.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SZY__fOHcLI_AAAAAAAAAO0_kK072S8TsBs_s512_DSCN0122.JPG alh6.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SZY__8F0m6I_AAAAAAAAAO8_KHiNuuGQajs_s640_DSCN0123.JPG

alh6.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SZY_BIRnhTI_AAAAAAAAAPE_nj5eYUFRGdI_s640_DSCN0124.JPG

Also, here are the next batter-ups. I'm going to double-up my grave guard unit and start up a unit of black knights.

alh4.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SZY_Cv_7KaI_AAAAAAAAAPM_8uCsoxN6IWg_s640_DSCN0125.JPG

alh3.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SZY_EiN6vTI_AAAAAAAAAPU_BKnRgys6e3w_s640_DSCN0126.JPG

I picked up the tomb kings horseman to save on the $$'s and used the "hoard of bits" ebay seller to pick up some grave guard torsos to use. I think I'm going to stick with the purple magical theme and do the ethereal horses in the same purple as the wraiths. The riders I'll probably do in the same red armor as the grave guard.

Issa Bella said:
I'm trying to do the magnetized stuff but am having a hard time finding a thin enough metal for it...

Great look so far!

This is what I used:

http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/detail-ID-121.html

The magnets look small, but they work perfectly fine for plastics. I can fully turn upside down my plastic units of skeletons, zombies, and ghouls. They are small and cheap enough too where you could probably double or triple up for metal units if needed.

The stuff to use on your bases is:

http://www.gf9.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=206

I actually grabbed both the links from another user of a different forum I'm on:

http://oden123.wordpress.com/2008/12/10/sticky-dark-elves/

Gnarkill

Zombie
Feb 9, 2009
Breda
WoW very nice army and painted very nice too.
I enjoyed seeing this pictures full of enthausiasm and creativity.

Good job, now crush your foe with it!

dictator

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 22, 2008
You should give the necro on the CC some eyes or at least a thin line to make him look like he's squinting. Can't wait, like everyone else, to see them complete. Let us know how the tourney goes and how you won!

dekeduffy

Zombie
Jan 17, 2009
Here is the first black knight I'm trying to build. My second time at working with green stuff. It's tough! I'm trying to get some sort of armor on the bare legs. Please give me some critiques and any tips on working with this stuff.

alh5.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SZjfnYdfr9I_AAAAAAAAAQE_Q7RS8j0PaJI_s640_DSCN0141.JPG

alh3.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SZjfouAktBI_AAAAAAAAAQM_KXtlzjTZcSc_s640_DSCN0137.JPG

alh5.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SZjfpRT7fVI_AAAAAAAAAQU_V9YXoXXoyUk_s512_DSCN0140.JPG

dekeduffy

Zombie
Jan 17, 2009
The unit so far:

alh6.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SaAVfxCCTlI_AAAAAAAAAQ4_EpnPERxJEyk_s512_DSCN0142.JPG

Inspired by the Golden Bat Winner I made the BSB out of a Brettonian conversion.

alh5.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SaAVgyxxVkI_AAAAAAAAARA_SFVe5yqB9Cw_s512_DSCN0144.JPG

alh5.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_SaAVhk_eLeI_AAAAAAAAARI_Bxr5TcKcKSM_s512_DSCN0145.JPG

I'm debating about throwing in a few more conversions like this into the group. What do people think? Do you think the mix would be good?

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
Feb 8, 2008
Absolutely. The thing best about VC is that you can convert a lot, so mix in some more bret pieces.

dekeduffy

Zombie
Jan 17, 2009
The first painted test Black Knight. I think the armor on his legs came out more like sand bags, but for my first attempt at green stuff, I'm not too disappointed.

alh3.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_Sado6GODyQI_AAAAAAAAATc_L2GbgcKZuFw_s640_DSCN0149.JPG

alh5.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_Sado7F19AoI_AAAAAAAAATk_PxC3a88S6kw_s640_DSCN0150.JPG

I wanted to continue trying green stuff out, so I started my first unit filler. This will be for my zombie unit:

alh3.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_Sado4VFKgjI_AAAAAAAAATM_WLKayG2qXvc_s512_DSCN0147.JPG

Comments and criticisms welcome.

Lord Markof

Zombie
Oct 1, 2008
For the armor plates, I'd suggest first making one plate. Then letting it cure, and add another, instead of scoring lines in the GS. :)

The rust on the model looks absolutely perfect and the unit filler is very cool. Where is the torso from?

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
Mar 2, 2008
A place somewhere.
I have a qualm with the purple, especially on the GG. It looks just garish with the grey of the banner and the bronze armor, and doesn't follow the scheme of the rest of the army. The same basic critisism goes to the BK, but not to as much of extent.

dekeduffy

Zombie
Jan 17, 2009
Lord Markof said:
For the armor plates, I'd suggest first making one plate. Then letting it cure, and add another, instead of scoring lines in the GS. :)

The rust on the model looks absolutely perfect and the unit filler is very cool. Where is the torso from?

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot on some of the others. I finally started looking at some green stuff tips and see that coating your hands and tools in water helps. This made it a lot easier!

The model with the shovel is actually a full model taken from an old game called Mage Knight. He was actually a graverobber for that game, but I thought he fit well here.

I'm working on some other conversions from those models as well. A converted Ogre skeleton and an old tree with bodies and heads. I'll get some pics up as I make them.

Vekarin the Dark Bladed said:
I have a qualm with the purple, especially on the GG. It looks just garish with the grey of the banner and the bronze armor, and doesn't follow the scheme of the rest of the army. The same basic critisism goes to the BK, but not to as much of extent.

I've been trying to carry a purple theme for magical items and characters. I used it on both capes for my necromancer and vampire, used it for the Wraiths, and thought I'd carry it through to the Wight Blades on the grave guard. I'm not 100% sold on it, but I don't know that I really want to go back and repaint a bunch of stuff. What alternative would you recommend instead of the purple?

dekeduffy

Zombie
Jan 17, 2009
Update from some recent painting and modelling of the Black Knights unit.

I really like the ethereal idea so I've been trying to look for ways to make the horses look like they are passing through objects. This is the first attempt. I'm looking for some more things to have them moving through. Any ideas?
alh3.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_Sbu36WFeWyI_AAAAAAAAAVQ_9QBaLPh3nqc_s640_DSCN0182.JPG

This guy, I kept part of the Marauder arms. Figure I'll paint it up like a zombie to make it look like it's rotting. Replaced the head, other arm, and a leg though to get more skellie look.
alh6.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_Sbu37PpGXiI_AAAAAAAAAVY_vd2nBhw9Os4_s640_DSCN0183.JPG

The unit so far. I think I'm going to go with a Black banner. Also, I'm going to revisit the weapons. I think I'm going to try a mix of silver and red to get a shiny red tip. We'll see how it works out.
alh3.ggpht.com__DWLT5bNPlVc_Sbu35veRe_I_AAAAAAAAAVI_d3bswLXNYHA_s640_DSCN0181.JPG

C&C welcome!

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
Feb 8, 2008
A wall would be the obvious thing to have your knights charging through and more (and larger) tombstones.

It's looking good (especially the first of them). I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu