Centralised Text

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Fenrir

Skeleton
Dec 16, 2009
57
Zombies
31
Not sure if I've wittingly clicked something, but all of the text on the forum is set to the centre of the screen, instead of being set on the left like other forums.

Is there any way to correct this?
 
Hmm, very odd. I am not aware of a option in the userCP that would have done this either.

If you can provide the info Grish mentioned, we can look from there.
 
Work computer, so not sure of the details.

Windows XP Professional running internet explorer 8
 
Disciple of Nagash said:
Hmm,

I can't see anything. The core coding of the site has just been updated - does this fix the issue?

I'm having the same issue. Using Windows 7 / IE 9; it appears that this started after the site's code re-work. What's interesting is that I have a laptop at work running win7, also with IE 9, and it does NOT have this problem.

Would a screenshot help? -- [Edit:] http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/88/vcforums.jpg/

I'm also having issues seeing certain icons in the forum directory of content as well...
 
I believe the problem for the centralised text lies in the fact you're using IE. I use different browsers and I only have this problem with IE. This problem should be solved by downloading a better browser. :)
 
Baslakor said:
I believe the problem for the centralised text lies in the fact you're using IE. I use different browsers and I only have this problem with IE. This problem should be solved by downloading a better browser. :)

This, good sir, is utterly offensive. Next thing you'll be suggesting is that one uses a flavor of Linux for their operating system. I ask you sir, how do you get off on such a notion.. ?

;)
 
Over 20% of people still use IE. In some places, there is no choice. For my workplace, it is mandatory to use IE. Because I'm in IT I can get around some of these problems as I have admin rights to my box, but IE is still the official browser. Many of our in-house applications are built around IE quirks. This is because IE is officially supported by Microsoft, as with other browsers if we were to build around them and then they changed, we'd have no recourse.

The amount of users still using IE continues to fall so switching browsers could be fine. However, IE's default is still to display text from left to right unless instructed differently. So there must be a stylesheet/inline style/javascript/block container attribute at work here. My guess is there is a "center" at a high level, and then a style sheet applied so that elements lower on the tree get left aligned, and IE is missing the interpretation of these.
 
Grish said:
Over 20% of people still use IE. In some places, there is no choice. For my workplace, it is mandatory to use IE. Because I'm in IT I can get around some of these problems as I have admin rights to my box, but IE is still the official browser. Many of our in-house applications are built around IE quirks. This is because IE is officially supported by Microsoft, as with other browsers if we were to build around them and then they changed, we'd have no recourse.

The amount of users still using IE continues to fall so switching browsers could be fine. However, IE's default is still to display text from left to right unless instructed differently. So there must be a stylesheet/inline style/javascript/block container attribute at work here. My guess is there is a "center" at a high level, and then a style sheet applied so that elements lower on the tree get left aligned, and IE is missing the interpretation of these.

I hear what you're saying. What I'm still not able to wrap my head around is that I'm using the default settings on IE9 here at work, and at home, and having differing results. :(
 
Your IE settings at work are unlikely to be completely default (especially if you have any sort of IT department). I'd like to see a source for that 20% figure Grish!?!? I bet that IE is still 50% plus across the entire internet when taking into account corporate IT environments and IE (6,7,8, and 9). While IE is still the dominant browser in the workplace, most home users opt for something completely different :D
 
w3 Bishop, w3.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

And what do you think is more popular, Google or Baidu? Questions, questions...

As for the question at hand, to really check what you have, open up Internet Explorer.

Go to:
Help -> About

Paste here the version number you're running. Could also be an issue with Javascript enabled/disabled. Could also be a caching issue. Try clearing out your cache.
 
Yes, if the users could check their settings and clear their cache. If the issue still remains I will report it as a bug to our software developers and ask them to look into it.
 
I have not looked at my java script status yet in either browser (at work; at home) - however I can confirm that my IE 9 version number is the same at both locations: 9.0.8112.16421

I believe that this is the most updated version available - as I've only just updated to IE 9 on my work laptop 2 weeks ago from IE 8.

I have cleared my cache on my home PC and found that the issue remained even afterwards.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated (aside from swapping to other browsers. :zombie:) or if I can provide any other details, I will do my best.

Thanks!
 
It's clearly not a bug.

You look like you have an extremely high resolution.

Just as a test, could you lower it to see if that changes anything?

Your javascript is likely enabled; that was a long shot.

It kind of looks like the screen thinks it has more real estate than it does. The search bar is wrapping; like it's not calculating the width correctly.

Do you have dual monitors or any other different setup at home...?
 
Grish said:
It's clearly not a bug.

You look like you have an extremely high resolution.

Just as a test, could you lower it to see if that changes anything?

I guess I'll just be SOL when I'm at home. :(

I tried lowering my resolution (at 800x600 atm) - tried:

800x600
1280x800
1440x900
1024x768

All the same results. :\

I'd be willing to try anything else you might be able to think of.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu