• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Jan 13, 2010
Yesterday I played vs brets and WoC. Let me set the pertinent scene for you. He had his peg knights flush and abreast a unit of Knights of the Realm. I had a unit of ghouls with my fighty vamp in it. I charged the fighty vamp into the peggos and van hels-ed the ghouls into his KotR. My ghouls were 6 wide, his KotR and peggos three wide each. He argued that, since I have to maximize my frontage against his, they would touch the pegasus knights, thereby fighting them both. Due to CR from my ghouls getting killed, my fighty vamp ended up dying, setting me back a bit.

The question is; Would that actually be the case? Am I obligated to slide my unit over, thereby forcing me into contact with the second unit? If so, would the ghouls then be in combat with the pegasus knights as well, thereby taking two combats (my vamp vs his peggos and my ghouls vs his KotR) and meld them into one? Thank you!

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
May 27, 2009
Lincoln, England
You have to engage as many of the ghouls with as many of the knights of the realm as possible, 3 knights are 75mm wide so 5 ghouls will fit base to base, if you can fit 5 ghouls without touching the Pegasi you can avoid being engaged in combat with them, if there's no way to avoid that then you are indeed forced to fight.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
You are only obligated to get as many models as possible into combat with the unit you charged.

As Ophidicus said; As long as 5 ghouls, the maximum, are fighting the Knights of the realm, it doesn't matter where the rest of them are.

midean

Vampire Count
True Blood
Mar 12, 2008
One thing though. You don't have to slide anything anywhere. Sliding models is an optional sugestion and is nowhere in the rules. And its EVIL!!!!!!:mad2:

snoopholly

Skeleton
Feb 2, 2010
Marrok_le_Ghulkoi said:
Yesterday I played vs brets and WoC. Let me set the pertinent scene for you. He had his peg knights flush and abreast a unit of Knights of the Realm. I had a unit of ghouls with my fighty vamp in it. I charged the fighty vamp into the peggos and van hels-ed the ghouls into his KotR. My ghouls were 6 wide, his KotR and peggos three wide each. He argued that, since I have to maximize my frontage against his, they would touch the pegasus knights, thereby fighting them both. Due to CR from my ghouls getting killed, my fighty vamp ended up dying, setting me back a bit.

The question is; Would that actually be the case? Am I obligated to slide my unit over, thereby forcing me into contact with the second unit? If so, would the ghouls then be in combat with the pegasus knights as well, thereby taking two combats (my vamp vs his peggos and my ghouls vs his KotR) and meld them into one? Thank you!
I also thought that units on the same side had to be 1" apart from any other friendly units?

wildcard

Ghoul
Apr 8, 2009
not accurate. You have to stay 1" away from enemy units, but you can place friendly unit as close to each other as you wish - ask any slannesh herald with a siren song stood next to her bloodthirster mate...:devil2:

Kalandros

Necromancer
True Blood
Nov 27, 2008
Near Montréal, Québec
[Bloodthirster][HoS]

It seems useless to me, as, unless the herald of slaanesh is next to a wall, you can charge the outter corner of the HoS, as you will have maximized properly against the target you were forced to charge.

[Bloodthirster][HoS]
-------------------[Me!]

No engaging the BT

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
A slightly larger unit would probably draw the Bloodthirster into the combat though. An infantry unit, for example, would be able to bring 3 models into contact with the Herald, and this would force them to touch the 'Thirster as well.

wildcard

Ghoul
Apr 8, 2009
they generally have terrain, or a khorne herald BSB with Ld banner and 0+ armour save on the other side of the herald.....trust me, you'd much rather it was the terrain!

Johnny B

Grave Guard
Sep 21, 2009
London
They can do that?

As if siren song wasnt bad enough already
The joys of top table grand tournament armies, where your opponent can decide to move your units for you. Siren Song is the single most idiotic thing in the game, it should just be like Master Rune of Challenge (0-1 and doesn't affect Immune to Psych units).

Just wait until the lone Fiends of Slaanesh run behind your units and prevent you raising too. Fun fun fun.:rolleyes:

Aegis

Varghulf
Jul 6, 2008
Chi town
midean said:
One thing though. You don't have to slide anything anywhere. Sliding models is an optional sugestion and is nowhere in the rules. And its EVIL!!!!!!:mad2:

Clipping is eviler!:thumbsdown:

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
Hehe, I swing between preferring clipping and sliding a lot. I know a couple of people that really like making use of the clipping rule, for example they'll whack a unit of Dire Wolves in front of enemy cavalry, of course angled so that if the enemy charges and overrun they'll be out of position, but also moving up Skeletons beside the Dire Wolves. Then, if the enemy cav doesn't charge, the Skeletons charge in, but with the Wolves blocking most of the enemy frontage, this means that usually one 1 or 2 models on each side can make contact and fight... giving the Skeletons the easy win! I prefer clipping because sliding is a bit oddball and hard to gauge, but clipping has lots of potential for evil too...

Fodderboy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jul 24, 2008
'Naki, New Zealand
My understanding is that you have to maximize according to manoeverability. If you can't wheel hard enough - limit of charge range, obstacles, or just too close - you will not legitimately be able to maximize frontage.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu